bigdr2k

Door Pods vs Stock Location + Deadening

Price completly aside, how much better sound quality would you get with door pods vs components in a fully deadened door? I have a Crown Vic and my main goal is to get the best possible sound out of the components I'm gonna be getting.

I'm going with the Image Dynamics XS series components. If I get them in the doors I'm gonna go with stock size 5x7s(XS-57). If I do the pods I'll go with the 6.5s(XS-65). Again my main goal is the sound quality of the comps so if the door pods sound just slightly better, than I'll pass. If the difference is dramatic though, its something I'm really gonna take a look at. I know there are a lot of variables involved in anything like this so based on the info supplied, what do you guys think? If there is any info that I left out that might help you help me, or if I need to be set straight on anything, just let me know. Thanks a lot. :)

door1.jpg

This is my door

pods1.jpg

This is what I had in mind. (credit to whoevers pic this is)

Price completly aside, how much better sound quality would you get with door pods vs components in a fully deadened door? I have a Crown Vic and my main goal is to get the best possible sound out of the components I'm gonna be getting.

I'm going with the Image Dynamics XS series components. If I get them in the doors I'm gonna go with stock size 5x7s(XS-57). If I do the pods I'll go with the 6.5s(XS-65). Again my main goal is the sound quality of the comps so if the door pods sound just slightly better, than I'll pass. If the difference is dramatic though, its something I'm really gonna take a look at. I know there are a lot of variables involved in anything like this so based on the info supplied, what do you guys think? If there is any info that I left out that might help you help me, or if I need to be set straight on anything, just let me know. Thanks a lot. :)

door1.jpg

This is my door

pods1.jpg

lol i know ive seen that pic somewhere...

um i would think the pods would do quite a bit but unless you have them sealed sound dampening would help too. If you can pull it off id lean towards the door pods. That cdt setup was in a tacoma and sounded awesome btw

door1.jpg

This is my door

pods1.jpg

um i would think the pods would do quite a bit but unless you have them sealed sound dampening would help too. If you can pull it off id lean towards the door pods. That cdt setup was in a tacoma and sounded awesome btw

I guess credit goes to you then for the pic :) and I guess you would be the right one to talk too about this given the example lol. How much did something like that run you if you don't mind me asking. Also, what did you do in the way of sound deadening. I wouldn't have to deaden the door like I was gonna put the speakers in the door. Would I?

Door pods are a much better option over a stock location. For an SQ set up I'd think kick panel pods would be a better option than door pods though. Should make it easier for imaging than having them on the doors. Having midbass in the doors is great, but for mids and highs I'd say go for the kicks instead. This is probably debatable with people, but I've done it both ways and having the mids and highs in the kick and the mid bass in the doors sounded so much better.

Door pods are a much better option over a stock location. For an SQ set up I'd think kick panel pods would be a better option than door pods though. Should make it easier for imaging than having them on the doors. Having midbass in the doors is great, but for mids and highs I'd say go for the kicks instead. This is probably debatable with people, but I've done it both ways and having the mids and highs in the kick and the mid bass in the doors sounded so much better.

I'm not going for an SQ set up as much as just trying to maximize the over all sound quality for "my" tastes. When I say "my" tastes I just mean that it might take a little less to satisfy me then some of you guys that have had all kinds of different set ups and been there done that so to speak. I just feel that components like the ones I'm getting or any other nice comp set behind door panels(especially mine) can hinder thier performance. Am I off base on this?

door1.jpg

This is my door

pods1.jpg

I guess credit goes to you then for the pic :) and I guess you would be the right one to talk too about this given the example lol. How much did something like that run you if you don't mind me asking. Also, what did you do in the way of sound deadening. I wouldn't have to deaden the door like I was gonna put the speakers in the door. Would I?

It was actually done by an employee of the shop i work at for his own truck. He's the one who has built everything in my car too. So i don't think there's really a price on it other then materials and he already has quite a bit + equipment and paint ect... So for someone walking in the door wanting something like that I'd guess ~800 including the speakers. I'm not really sure thou because there's alot of factors and since I'm really not the one that does any of the fiberglass stuff I'm not 100% sure the time it would take to build and paint those.

Edited by EmperorJJ1

I'm not going for an SQ set up as much as just trying to maximize the over all sound quality for "my" tastes. When I say "my" tastes I just mean that it might take a little less to satisfy me then some of you guys that have had all kinds of different set ups and been there done that so to speak. I just feel that components like the ones I'm getting or any other nice comp set behind door panels(especially mine) can hinder thier performance. Am I off base on this?

the only issue is your comparing apples to oranges here. Lets face the facts: your stock speaker location isn't the worst but its pretty bad, 6.5s will sound better then 5X7s, components will sound better then coax (most of the time) and yes a speaker behind a grill especially as oddly shaped as ur stock one will sound worse then one without said grill.

BUT there's alot of different ways to play your cards and honestly both can sound pretty good if you try hard enough. I would think it over first and see how possible its going to be to get those pods made in and looking good. If you have doubts and think it might be too much then spend the money you would on the pods and do something like the hertz energy 5X7 component set with the tweeters mounted in the a pillar or flush mounted somewhere in the door. Add a door pack of second skin damp pro into the mix and maybe even a speaker tweeker behind the woofer and youll have one damn badass "stock" setup.

the only issue is your comparing apples to oranges here. Lets face the facts: your stock speaker location isn't the worst but its pretty bad, 6.5s will sound better then 5X7s, components will sound better then coax (most of the time) and yes a speaker behind a grill especially as oddly shaped as ur stock one will sound worse then one without said grill.

BUT there's alot of different ways to play your cards and honestly both can sound pretty good if you try hard enough. I would think it over first and see how possible its going to be to get those pods made in and looking good. If you have doubts and think it might be too much then spend the money you would on the pods and do something like the hertz energy 5X7 component set with the tweeters mounted in the a pillar or flush mounted somewhere in the door. Add a door pack of second skin damp pro into the mix and maybe even a speaker tweeker behind the woofer and youll have one damn badass "stock" setup.

I'm think I'm gonna just go with the stock locations, and get as much Damplifier Pro as it takes, and let an EQ do the rest. I don't need perfection and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be more than happy with the results after the doors are deadend up. Pods are something I might want in the future but it might be overkill for me at this point.

I've heard the Image Dynamics XS 65s and I love the way they sound so I'm gonna roll with the 5x7 version, the XS-57s http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/products.php?Family_Id=7&Product_Id=35 . I've heard nothing but great things about Hertz too and I'm sure those would sound great, I've just heard the IDs and thats what I want. So I'll probably just end up doing just what you described but just with the ID set. So stock and Damp Pro it is.

Thanks to all for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Really simple. 5x7's are useless and will never sound good. There is no reason EVER to buy them. By default since you only gave us two choices we have to pick the other....not that there aren't other options.

Really simple. 5x7's are useless and will never sound good. There is no reason EVER to buy them. By default since you only gave us two choices we have to pick the other....not that there aren't other options.

What kind of other options would you suggest? I'm open to any suggestions or advice. I might very well end up going with the most conventional option(61/2s comps in the doors), but I'd still like to see what other possibilities there are. Also, message received on the 5x7s.

i would look into a component regardless. putting a tweet behind that grill stock location isn't going to be a good idea

i would look into a component regardless. putting a tweet behind that grill stock location isn't going to be a good idea

Components were the only way I ever was gonna go. Those ID 5x7s are components. I'm most likely gonna go with 6.5s now though.

lol i just looked at the pics and thought coax my bad. I would double check to see how much woofer is actually visible from behind that grill. If i remember correctly the grill is smaller then the woofer and a 6.5 will sound better if its actually pointed somewhere other then the middle of a door panel. remember your block off plate to get the 6.5 to fit will have to have the woofer smack dab in the middle of the hole.... assuming your not going to cut your metal door panel (which would be sorta stupid and you might as well do door pods then)

lol i just looked at the pics and thought coax my bad. I would double check to see how much woofer is actually visible from behind that grill. If i remember correctly the grill is smaller then the woofer and a 6.5 will sound better if its actually pointed somewhere other then the middle of a door panel. remember your block off plate to get the 6.5 to fit will have to have the woofer smack dab in the middle of the hole.... assuming your not going to cut your metal door panel (which would be sorta stupid and you might as well do door pods then)

I think I'll take a step back and just do some more research before doing anything. Your right though, that grill is smaller than the speaker will be. Its a pretty crappy grill design if you ask me. Then again ,sound quality apparently wasn't too much of a focus for Ford in this situation.

By the way, where would I find those Hertz comps at? I never could find too much in the way of pricing etc. , so I never gave them a closer look. - Thanks

I think I'll take a step back and just do some more research before doing anything. Your right though, that grill is smaller than the speaker will be. Its a pretty crappy grill design if you ask me. Then again ,sound quality apparently wasn't too much of a focus for Ford in this situation.

By the way, where would I find those Hertz comps at? I never could find too much in the way of pricing etc. , so I never gave them a closer look. - Thanks

gotta find a local dealer. hertz is very protective of their name and dealers.... awesome speakers.

where are u located man. i might be able to do some leg work for ya

gotta find a local dealer. hertz is very protective of their name and dealers.... awesome speakers.

Miami and I'd appreciate that.

Edited by Dave305

Found a local dealer. Well, 40 miles away that is in Holloywood Fl. I'll have to see about checking those out. Thanks.

//M5, with money not being an object for the sake of this question, what would you do if you had my car and you had to get the most out of your front stage with a 2 way set-up?