Sign in to follow this  
shadowslayer666

question about the 187

im thinking about getting two of these. Twelve inch dual 4 ohms. Just a couple of questions about them. I always read about how people are raving about them, but they have a very small linear excursion compared to other woofers. Im not exactly a guru at car audio, but if a woofer has a larger excursion isn't it better able to produce the lowest frequencies? Also i have and saz-1000D so would i be over powering them too much, or are these woofers really under rated because i have read that they can handle a lot more.

Anyways im either getting the woofers stated above, or the id12D4's. Which would you think would be better in your honest opinions. I have good self control with gains and volume so i really dont think overpowering them would honestly be much of an issue now that i think about it. I have 2 visonik subs that are probably like 150 a piece and i havnt blown them yet. Im just looking for quality subs that will get pretty loud, and will not be a strain on my stock electrical system.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on any other 12 inch subs that are around 300 to 400 watts below the $200 price point.

Thanks in advance

yeah, that Xmax is part of it , but i guess it is also good to look at the sensitivity, kinda how loud/efficient they are...i am no guru either but they seem to be on point, interested in the responses you'll get.

like i said bro, not the guru for this, but if i was just to weigh in on personal preference, it would be the IA 187, will be ordering some soon for lil brothers install. so like what music preference do you have?

I run 12 187 12's and they are great. The excursion on a "low end" woofer is never going to be that impressive but the 187's are definitely the baddest woofer I have seen in the 300 watt rms range, and yes, they can take more. I wouldnt be scared to put 500 on them. The 187's would be a great choice and Im 100 % positive you would not be disappointed.

im pretty sure i saw your video on youtube. That shit was crazy. Do these woofers play the low notes well? That is my biggest concern. Like some of the songs from gorilla zoe, im just using him as an example because a lot of his songs have really low notes for sustained periods of time. Im not going to lie i am pretty impressed by the performace of the LI series from what ive seen on video, but i just dont want that much power so im hoping the 187 can still perform very well from IA.

Honestly I like both of the subwoofers , the 187 is probably one of the most impressive 0-300watt subs on the market , and the ID series are very versitile and play sub 30hz extremely well for a budget driver , your going to get more output in the 30 - 80 hz range with 187 vs the ID, but the ID will excel in sealed enclosures below 30hz

Keep in mind very little music has sub 30hz material, and the 187 are going to be more durable , especailly in ported applications.

I think im pretty much set on the 187's. I think they will do well in a ported enclosure. All i need now are plans for a box for these? i know they give the sizes it should be but its easier for me to see plans for a box

Honestly I like both of the subwoofers , the 187 is probably one of the most impressive 0-300watt subs on the market , and the ID series are very versitile and play sub 30hz extremely well for a budget driver , your going to get more output in the 30 - 80 hz range with 187 vs the ID, but the ID will excel in sealed enclosures below 30hz

Keep in mind very little music has sub 30hz material, and the 187 are going to be more durable , especailly in ported applications.

Uh, my 187 15" does plenty well below 30 hertz, thank you. :)

On that note, Nick, everyone, I'm buying another 15 soon. I'll make a thread when I order it :)

Kef

Edited by w00tah