Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Q

Loud System

So i have to re-do my system and for my parents sake, they wont let me go above 800 watts. So for 800 watts, i want to get (mainly) as loud as possible without sounding like straight up garbage. Right now I think im going to get 2 12" subwoofers unless someone here convinces me otherwise. I've found a few possible options but would like to hear what you guys think. Also need an amp to match the subs, preferably one that isn't to power hungry so that it doesn't affect my battery/alternator to bad. Here are my thoughts now:

SUBS:

1) 2 12" Dcons

2) 2 12" RE SRx's (possibly 3 12"s)

3) 2 12" Revolution Design Sonance V2s

AMPS:

1) Soundstream REF4.760

2) Planet Audio AP800.4 (one for each sub) bridged

3) Planet Audio TQ804

I mainly have to figure out the subs first thought because that decides the amp. So if i want to get loud with 800 or less watts what subs should i buy?

I'm actually really leaning towards the Resonant Engineering SRx's... Each runs 300RMS so i could probably get 3 12"s because for optimal output for ported box it says 1.5 so all together 4.5 cu. ft. which isnt to bad. I could get each sub Dual 2 ohm and so i could wire it to 4 ohms and buy 3 Mono amps. I could get 3 Alpine MRP-M500's and wired to 4 ohm would give each sub 300 watts... atleast right now that is what i think im going to do after i go measure my car for width.

Leave me some advice, tips, or ideas... im kind of glad i had to start over because its so much fun.

Thanks guys,

alex

if u are still set on changing out your setup, how about 4 10s?

Pioneer Premier TS-W1007D2

Those go for about $50 on sonicelectronix's site a piece so should save some money and pack a good punch.

They go down to 18hz with ease so nothin bad about that.

if u are still set on changing out your setup, how about 4 10s?

Pioneer Premier TS-W1007D2

Those go for about $50 on sonicelectronix's site a piece so should save some money and pack a good punch.

They go down to 18hz with ease so nothin bad about that.

Thats an idea. But 4 10's would be 1400 RMS which you dont necessarily have to give them that but wouldnt it make more sense to go with a diff sub that i could feed all of its rating? Could you give each of these like 200 watts? Also idk if i can fit 4 10s horizontally. i think my max width is like 40 sum inches but i can check tomrw.

this is a possibility though. thanks for the idea.

Edited by Doctor Q

the power u wanna supply is the reason why i chose these subs.

Power isn't everything, remember that.

Also, of completely horizontal, most 10s are 11" wide so u would need 44" minimum.

If you do not have that, give me the MAX width and height u can use so i can draw the design out in CAD and see if i can get u the specs to properly make them fit.

I would support SSA and get the DCONS, and do a Soundstream PCX700d. It'll be the best bang for the buck and the wattage. You should be able to get the amp and subs for $550-$600

So did ya'll figure out why the car was dying?

So did ya'll figure out why the car was dying?

it was the first thing i told my mom.. i needed a new alternator, but now shes making me downsize which is fine because i think i can find a way to be louder this way. ill get those max dimensions tomrw in the light.

also do you think the 4 10" pioneers would be louder than 3 12" SRx's... and what about the 4 10s vs. 2 12 dcons.

I would stick with the 12's. If you do four 10's it is going to be a big box. I don't think you will have the room for 1.5 feet per sub plus displacement for the port and subs. Also you will be underpowering them by half. So in all reality you will have a system that sounds like two 10's or maybe a tad more, but in an enclosure twice the size. It would be just the same to just buy two of the tens, build the correct size enclosure, and use the correct rated power.

I would stick with the 12's. If you do four 10's it is going to be a big box. I don't think you will have the room for 1.5 feet per sub plus displacement for the port and subs. Also you will be underpowering them by half. So in all reality you will have a system that sounds like two 10's or maybe a tad more, but in an enclosure twice the size. It would be just the same to just buy two of the tens, build the correct size enclosure, and use the correct rated power.

the 1.5 per sub is for the RE SRx's that means 4.5 before port and sub disp.

So do you have enough room for 7 cubes external?

is that how much id need for 3 12's?

is that how much id need for 3 12's?

if it is i may be able to squeeze that but it wuld be really close to the lid... at that point wuld it be better to flip the box and seal it to the cabin?

two ascendant audio assasin 12s in a 6th order bp with 800 watts would get quite loud and those subse speck out pretty descently in a 6th order mine with one assasin 12 off 350 watts hit 133.6 on the tl at the windshield so with two and double the power your looking at somewhere around 140s while sounding good

two ascendant audio assasin 12s in a 6th order bp with 800 watts would get quite loud and those subse speck out pretty descently in a 6th order mine with one assasin 12 off 350 watts hit 133.6 on the tl at the windshield so with two and double the power your looking at somewhere around 140s while sounding good

wouldnt 3 12" SRxs be way louder than that? if i cant get the 3 12s to fit i may go with the assasins, ive heard good things.

wouldnt 3 12" SRxs be way louder than that? if i cant get the 3 12s to fit i may go with the assasins, ive heard good things.

another company to throw into there is Digital Designs.. maybe 2 12" 1512's?

the power u wanna supply is the reason why i chose these subs.

Power isn't everything, remember that.

Also, of completely horizontal, most 10s are 11" wide so u would need 44" minimum.

If you do not have that, give me the MAX width and height u can use so i can draw the design out in CAD and see if i can get u the specs to properly make them fit.

i just went out and got the MAX dimensions. the 4 10s wont fit becasue the max width it 42".. the max height is 17" and thats what my box now is as far as h x w.. then my current depth is 13" and that includes double baffle and back piece which are all 3/4 mdf.

So basically to make my box bigger i can just increase the depth which i could probably increase it up to around 8 or 9 inches and be safe. How much room should be between the subs and the trunk? Or i could fire them foward and seal the trunk off so all the sound is inside the cabin. I know i talked about doign this with my last setup and most people said i would probably be better off firing back how it was so would that be the same in this situation or would i possibly be louder firing forward...

Now if my max width is 42 that means i dont have room for 4 10s but i can do 3 12s. then i could do one large horizontal port either above or below the subs?

Thank you for giving me specs because i want to show you something-

For 4 10s-

doctorq.jpg

That is a pic for 4 10s and a port.

The port is 96.25 sq in".

This just shows how large of space you have to possible build a port.. meaning you have plenty of space.

For internal dimensions of 42x17x13 using double baffle, the GROSS volume is - 3.91 cubes which isn't enough.

Increase depth to 19" minimum, 20-22" for best perfection.

20-22" would allow a port to take up to 2cuft of space if necessary which is almost overkill.

So, you have the room.

Thank you for giving me specs because i want to show you something-

For 4 10s-

doctorq.jpg

That is a pic for 4 10s and a port.

The port is 96.25 sq in".

This just shows how large of space you have to possible build a port.. meaning you have plenty of space.

For internal dimensions of 42x17x13 using double baffle, the GROSS volume is - 3.91 cubes which isn't enough.

Increase depth to 19" minimum, 20-22" for best perfection.

20-22" would allow a port to take up to 2cuft of space if necessary which is almost overkill.

So, you have the room.

interesting.. well i could increase depth to 20-22 if i need to and that would look sick when i open my trunk but i have a questoin...

those pioneers want 350 a piece which if i had four i could at MOST give them 250 a piece so would i be louder giving each of those 200-250rms or get 3 12's of a different brand that want 300rms and i give them 300 a piece...

also 4 10"s is 314 sq in of cone area and 3 12"s is 339.12 sq in. of cone area (i believe i did the math right) so wouldnt the 12's have an advantage over the 10s merely just from having more cone area?

for instance:

4 10" Pioneers off 1000 watts in that box you drew up

OR

3 12" Resonant Audio SRx's off 900-1000 watts in a box to maximize their output.

wouldn't the SRx's be loduer, that is assuming the install is accurate and precise.

the 12s shouldnt be louder for a couple of reasons.

One, the only safe way to wire 3 12s is to 1.33 ohms and that right there will cut their receiving power down quite a bit.

Second, you have a better shot of properly building a box for 4 10s at 1cuft per sub than you do for 3 12s at 4.5cuft per sub + sub and port displacement.

the 12s shouldnt be louder for a couple of reasons.

One, the only safe way to wire 3 12s is to 1.33 ohms and that right there will cut their receiving power down quite a bit.

Second, you have a better shot of properly building a box for 4 10s at 1cuft per sub than you do for 3 12s at 4.5cuft per sub + sub and port displacement.

what if i bought a mono amp for each 12. can i do that?

u can but... u gonna have the money and room to mount 3 amps?

it'd be better to buy a more than enough power amp so u the extra resistance helps.

u can but... u gonna have the money and room to mount 3 amps?

it'd be better to buy a more than enough power amp so u the extra resistance helps.

okay. im liking the 4 10's... so if i went with that. i need a box like the one you drew up except what should be the depth? i can do 20-22 if i need. whatever will allow this to SLAM. Also what amp would you get and how would you wire. And finally. If this ends up running around 1000 watts, then eletrically what should i do? Get a powermaster in the trunk? maybe a d1200? what would you do.

in terms of electrical, i'm afraid to answer that due to your electrical issue right now.

Adding another battery actually, in your case, will make it worse after several days.

For 4 10s, you need 4 Dual 2 ohm 10s. Wire all 4 10s in series then parallel all connections to the amp.

Depth-wise, 19-22" is fine.

I wouldnt worry about the box yet, i'd just worry about what u ARE gonna go with, then i'll get actual box specs.

Oh, and make sure this box will fit in the trunk too.

just get you two 12"s and call it day, ur downsizing but your about to end up where you are know power wise. in reality now you are gonna keep the amp you have now and have a bigger box with 3 or 4 speakers so your system is growing now. what do you want something small and low powered or big with the same power your using now?