Sign in to follow this  
ztkraptor

187 Sub Box Help

I believe I'm going to get an IA 187 10'' or a 12''

I was wondering if anyone can look over my numbers here to be sure that the box I'm planning on building will work correctly.(for a 12)

IA Suggests.

Ported 2 cubes - 2.5 cubes, 20 - 30 Inches of Port, 28-35 Hz

I have designed a box using this tool.

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Width 28"

Box Height 16"

Box Top Depth 12"

Box Bottom Depth 18"

Wood Thickness 0.75"

Square Port Width 1.5"

Square Port Length 4" (seems to help tune it in)

This gives me.

30.063035251515 Hz

I'm asking here, with these variables, Will this box sound good, and work well.

I also plan on cutting the port in the opposing side, so i can put the angled side against my car seats, and the sub facing the rear of the car.(Will this change the tuning?)

Any suggests about my placement of the port/sub will be greatly appreciated.

i just got done designing my box with help from people here for 2 12" 187's and they told me to make the port 3 inches or wider. Yours just seems really skinny and would probably create a lot of unwanted noise.

i just got done designing my box with help from people here for 2 12" 187's and they told me to make the port 3 inches or wider. Yours just seems really skinny and would probably create a lot of unwanted noise.

well i Can't really find the right dimensions to accomplish that Hz. With a port that big.

Perhaps since you have 2, you can do that?

It looks as if you have 21.75^2" of port which should be fine. The tuning looks great for daily. Placement of box with driver in it will not change the tuning, just how the cabin is effected. If it is a trunk car (sedan or coupe), many people fire the port and driver towards the rear, unless they are firing towards the cabin with the seats down and the box sealed up around the opening. If an SUV, you can fire rear for both as a start and move the box around from there. :)