JoshM20

Fiberglassing Material

Hey guys,

I'm goin g to try and build a glassed back dash to hold my mids. I was wondering if someone could give me any tips and mainly what I will need to do this. I've heard fleece, resin, and hardener. But which ressin and Hardner should I get? If I use wood to build the base should I use like 1/4 inch mdf or does it matter.

Anyway, I wanted to get some of the materials today so anything will help. I'm going to look for a jasper jig so I will be back.

Josh

For flat panels, use 3/4" mdf like you would normally use.

Not sure on what is available on the market as far as resin goes. Check some boat shops, fiberglass is widely used in boats. You can get the hardener from the same place you get the resin.

The market is flooded with Bondo Brand Poly Resin.....

Which is o.k. and will get the job done.

Fleece, pantyhose, almost any material will work for contours.

Mixing the hardener properly is the trick to a good F/G job.

Too much hardener and the resin becomes very brittle,

not enough hardener and the resin won't set correctly and become rubber like.

Depending on applications there are a couple different types of poly resin.

The thicker gel type is for vertical and overhead surfaces and the more liquid type

is for horizontal surfaces.

Home Depot or Lowes has Bondo brand in the same isles as caulk (usually near the paint dept.)

As for the actual F/G material,

there are different sizes of weave.

The smaller, thinner weave is used for light duty applications.

The thicker weave is used for heavy duty applications.

You will also need something to "finish" the surfaces.

Here is where I'd recommend a good body filler or glazing.

Rage or Rage 2 is prob. one of the better brands to go with. IMO

Bondo (most well known brand) works too.

Most of these will come with a hardener as well.

Just follow the directions and DO NOT mix up more than you

can work with in a few minutes.

Poly resins will gel up rather quickly in summer environments,

this will make it nearly impossible to work with and will require a ton of sanding

due to the globbing effect.

Body fillers will set up fast to in summer heat.

Thx guys I'm at Lowes right now and all I see for resin and fiberglass cloth are from elmers and elmers and 3M hardener. Guess I wiLl

Try Home depot.. So after you get the fleece laid . How do u add the cloth to it with the Resin correct?

apply resin to the fleece area. let it sit until its a sticky. then apply another coat of resin and apply the stips of fiberglass. let dry a little and take a little paint roller and roll the air bubbles out. if not then the glass will pop when its dry. then just do the same for each coat. thats the way i was told to do it.

please show some pictures of the process because I have been wanting to throw an extra 4-6.5" Eminence Alpha's in my rear deck fiberglassed and local shops have quoted me $1,000 - $1,500, so I decided to do it myself. good luck

please show some pictures of the process because I have been wanting to throw an extra 4-6.5" Eminence Alpha's in my rear deck fiberglassed and local shops have quoted me $1,000 - $1,500, so I decided to do it myself. good luck

my build log shows some of the basics on doing a sub box a read deck cant be any harder its under build logd porsche 944 box