Sign in to follow this  
dsm2nrs1

15" btl vs 18"BTL w/ same RMS???

I'm trying to decide if I should go with (2) 15" BTL's or (2) 18" BTL's? Its only about $60 more to go with both 18's over the 15's but i would be using the same rms going to them.

what size sub would sound better/louder being they both are getting the same amount of power/rms? Pre-orderig a Sundown-SAZ 4500D

Edited by Mike-P

I'm trying to decide if I should go with (2) 15" BTL's or (2) 18" BTL's? Its only about $60 more to go with both 18's over the 15's but i would be using the same rms going to them.

what size sub would sound better/louder being they both are getting the same amount of power/rms? Pre-orderig a Sundown-SAZ 4500D

Depends on the box. But really? 15" or 18" whats louder? Please ask yourself that question again.

Depends on the box. But really? 15" or 18" whats louder? Please ask yourself that question again.

I did ask myself that question, but since its going to be the same rms maybe the 15" will have an advantage and move more freely and create more spl since its smaller while the 18" would move slower due to more mass??? the confusing part is not the size of the subs. its that they will be using the same rms. idk thats why im asking. And its going in a 2005 4runner.

Edited by Mike-P

If you r looking for spl and you have the extra room then spend the extra 60 bones and go with the 18's.You r going to be using the "surfboard" for christs sake! Give it what it wants. lol!

I did ask myself that question but since its going to be the same rms maybe the 15" will have an advantage and move more freely since its smaller while the 18" would move slower due to more mass??? the confusing part is not the size of the subs. its that they will be using the same rms. idk thats why im asking.

Sorry if I came off like a jerk. There is more cone area with the 18s and you will be giving them good power so 18 will be louder. If you have the room for a the 18s and a proper box to put them in then go that way. If you dont have enough room for to build the right box for the 18s then go 15s.

I did ask myself that question, but since its going to be the same rms maybe the 15" will have an advantage and move more freely and create more spl since its smaller while the 18" would move slower due to more mass??? the confusing part is not the size of the subs. its that they will be using the same rms. idk thats why im asking. And its going in a 2005 4runner.

[/quote

The only difference between a 15 and a 18 within a same model of sub should be loudness, after all they play the same notes. 18's don't move any slower than 10's unless you're using a super cheap and crappy type of sub which the btl is definitely not. Its made with 2 cups of awesome.

Thanks for the info hdrox88. That makes the most sence, but by any chance would you happen to know roughly how many cubic feet the box would need to be for the 2 18". I mean it says on FI that the 18's need 5-10 cuft so the bigger the box the better? If you tune the box with the port why does it matter how big the box is? I dont want anything crazy just only what is needed.

Edited by Mike-P

Thanks for the info hdrox88. That makes the most sence, but by any chance would you happen to know roughly how many cubic feet the box would need to be for the 2 18". I dont want anything crazy just only what is needed.

The box all depends on what sound you want. I have no personal experience with Fi subs but from what I hear their recommended enclosure sizes work very well. Click Here

A bigger box can be better to a point. It can be too big and it can also be too small. If you are within the recommended range it should be good. If you go to the smaller side of the range it will help the sub be a little more punchy, while on the larger side of the range will give a little more boom. Again, I have no personal experience with Fi so I cant say how much of a difference there will be.

What vehicle is this going in?

If you want louder go with the 18's the cone area of 2 18's is almost equal to the cone area of 3 15's.

What music do you listen to?

If your going for a daily groundpounder put them in a 14-20cuft box and tune it to 32hz with a lot of port area.

What vehicle is this going in?

If you want louder go with the 18's the cone area of 2 18's is almost equal to the cone area of 3 15's.

What music do you listen to?

If your going for a daily groundpounder put them in a 14-20cuft box and tune it to 32hz with a lot of port area.

He said a 2005 4Runner.