mbarber25

Me or the sub? Help! Please! Pics

Ok so yesterday i smelt a weird ass smell. It almost smelt like manure or something. Then I smelt it again today, twice. The second time i popped the trunk and stuck my nose in the port.. found the source of the funk... It was a burning smell.

I was listening to music at full tilt which i regularly do. The oinly change i've made was putting on the loudness feature on my headunit.

So what's the deal? The spider is fine and the voice coils look ok but they have spots on them that look like rust or something. Also the burn marks of the terminals aren't from me. My sub came like that. Here's the pics.

I ripped the sub out to investigate. But i'm stumped. It seems that the smell is coming tfrom inside the holes at the bottom of the basket. The arms of the basket were warm to the touch which is weird. the magnet is also warm to the touch still after being off for 20 minutes atleast.

The cone moves fine BTW with non noise.

First Terminal

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a5.jpg

im not sure what happened but Im thinking that the loudness feature on your head unit should be turned off.

im not sure what happened but Im thinking that the loudness feature on your head unit should be turned off.

do u think i fucked something up though? or did i not mess it up that bad? i meant to reset the gain once i turned it on but i kinda forgot :/ that's what i think it was doing... made the amp start clipping perhaps...?

yeah mine was on and Im glad you reminded me to turn mine off, I noticed that something was sounding odd when playing my system ever since I hooked up my extra runs of ground from battery to chassis(the head unit reset itself when it turned back on). Well with that amount of power I dont think you messed anything up but who knows just have to play it and see how it sounds.

Turn off Loud regardless, you dont want to mess up sub or amp?

Whats the max volume on your head unit, what do you usually play the volume at when your going full tilt?

yeah mine was on and Im glad you reminded me to turn mine off, I noticed that something was sounding odd when playing my system ever since I hooked up my extra runs of ground from battery to chassis(the head unit reset itself when it turned back on). Well with that amount of power I dont think you messed anything up but who knows just have to play it and see how it sounds.

Turn off Loud regardless, you dont want to mess up sub or amp?

Whats the max volume on your head unit, what do you usually play the volume at when your going full tilt?

the max volume of my headunit is 36 and i set the gain with it at 20.. but i usually play it at 22 which was what it was at.

i hope i didn;t damage it in any way. hopefully shizzon or someone chimes in

but i think i'll reset the gain with th eloudness option on.. then i should be straight right?

thanks!

the sub still effin smells and now that's all i can smell in my room.. my mom even noticed the weird smell.. :(

but why the hell would my magnet and basket be warm... along with the dustcap...?

Just dont use the loudness feature period, when did you turn this feature on after you installed your SAZ-2000d to give it some more sound because you thought it was lacking or was it already on before? Im pretty sure if it was on before you hooked up the Sundown that it was the only cause because 400-600 watts on 4 ohms by itself without clipping shouldnt do a woofer that is capable of 2000-2500 rms like that. Just my .02

oh no!! NEVER EVER use the loud button or bass boost! I repeat NEVER use that! It causes distortion and distortion blows subs! That smell was probly your voice coil :-( I'd contact your dealer ASAP and describe the smell, lets hope you just faq'd your battery as that can cause a smell simular to manure (i know this one from experience) and hope that the timing of the loud button use was a coincidence but honestly thats prob being pretty optomistic

Edited by SPLScion

oh no!! NEVER EVER use the loud button or bass boost! I repeat NEVER use that! It causes distortion and distortion blows subs! That smell was probly your voice coil :-(

voicecoil burning is what i was dreading to hear. but i knew deep down that's what it was :(

but my next question to everyone is.....

is it already time for a recone? or can i hook it back up and fix my settings?

oh no!! NEVER EVER use the loud button or bass boost! I repeat NEVER use that! It causes distortion and distortion blows subs! That smell was probly your voice coil :-( I'd contact your dealer ASAP and describe the smell, lets hope you just faq'd your battery as that can cause a smell simular to manure (i know this one from experience) and hope that the timing of the loud button use was a coincidence but honestly thats prob being pretty optomistic

or better yet lets hope you just blew the VC's on your components, how do they sound now?

whats that scorched looking thing on your terminal? a flaw in pic or is really there?

Edited by SPLScion

or better yet lets hope you just blew the VC's on your components, how do they sound now?

it's definately the sub.. the sub is sitting on my bedroom floor next to me and that's what smells.

i thought these btl's were troopers.. i didn't think 2 hours (if that) of a clipped signal would destroy the coil. what makes me pissed is why were my terminals already coated in burn residue when i unboxed it

there is NO scratching sound when i push on the cone.. i think the VC's were just cooking.. but is they far too gone

i just want to put it back in and fix my settings.. but do i need to a recone

Edited by mbarber25

it's definately the sub.. the sub is sitting on my bedroom floor next to me and that's what smells.

i thought these btl's were troopers.. i didn't think 2 hours (if that) of a clipped signal would destroy the coil. what makes me pissed is why were my terminals already coated in burn residue when i unboxed it

there is NO scratching sound when i push on the cone.. i think the VC's were just cooking.. but is they far too gone

ya sorry bout the dumb ? you already answered in 1st post i read 1st half of it and got freaked out for ya bro, plus i had 2 beers and I am light weight these days sooo my bad i should read everything before i rush to post.

The Fi's are trooper BUT, there is a big difference between giving it a clipped amp signal with no distortion from HU and using the loud button or alike, when you give it a distorted signal before the amp you are then amplifying distortion making much much worse then sending a clean signal in and clipping your amp, yes clipping your amp is usually where you start to create distortion esp as you turn it up more but ya the loud button is the devil. Ya you prob need a recone but what you really need to do is get ahold of Fi, I have'nt delt with them but have heard great things about their customer service. They will tell you exactly what you need you prob need 2 new vc's and maybe a full on rebuild depending on what you damaged of course. How long did you jam on it with the satan button i mean loud button on? that may make a difference, of course even a few seconds of it can cause catastrofic failures under the wrong circumstances.

I know your patient but Imight be able to help you out if will have a hard time dealing without a sub while it gets fixed, I got an extra 15 kicking around, give me a call if its going to be gone longer then you can handle if you want I'll pm you my digits. feel free to call any time you have a ? you need a quick answer to or if ya want to shoot the chit or "vent" about your woes, sometimes that helps.

ya sorry bout the dumb ? you already answered in 1st post i read 1st half of it and got freaked out for ya bro, plus i had 2 beers and I am light weight these days sooo my bad i should read everything before i rush to post.

The Fi's are trooper BUT, there is a big difference between giving it a clipped amp signal with no distortion from HU and using the loud button or alike, when you give it a distorted signal before the amp you are then amplifying distortion making much much worse then sending a clean signal in and clipping your amp, yes clipping your amp is usually where you start to create distortion esp as you turn it up more but ya the loud button is the devil. Ya you prob need a recone but what you really need to do is get ahold of Fi, I have'nt delt with them but have heard great things about their customer service. They will tell you exactly what you need you prob need 2 new vc's and maybe a full on rebuild depending on what you damaged of course. How long did you jam on it with the satan button i mean loud button on? that may make a difference, of course even a few seconds of it can cause catastrofic failures under the wrong circumstances.

I know your patient but Imight be able to help you out if will have a hard time dealing without a sub while it gets fixed, I got an extra 15 kicking around, give me a call if its going to be gone longer then you can handle if you want I'll pm you my digits. feel free to call any time you have a ? you need a quick answer to or if ya want to shoot the chit or "vent" about your woes, sometimes that helps.

i used the loud feature half way to the show yesterday. during the whole show. the whole way back. on my way to work today. and on my way back from work today. so i fucked it up. i fuckin seriosuly just want to quit. i've maxxed out my spending for all of this stuff. and what happens.. i fry my coil after only using the damn thing for two weeks. go fuckin figure. it's not worth working 40+ and having ) spending dollars. then having to play football and go to highschool.

so Fi has pretty good customer service but they never pick up the phone. they call u back. and i work so they'll probably end up calling whil ei;m there.. go figure.. and emailing sucks. but i'm going to do both.

this is great. now i have to send my sub across america and pay probably over $200 doing it. fuck me right.

but i might definately hit u up for that 15 haha.

but. damn. why does this shit hate me?

Thanks Bill!

before i totally go ape shit can anyone else let me know if my sub will be ok? or is a recone my only option?

Wow man. You totally abuse the sub and wonder why it breaks? Seriously? If you can't afford to fix it, don't break it.

Just play the thing. If you think it's already messed up, what can it hurt. If it still plays, you're fine and consider it a warning.

i used the loud feature half way to the show yesterday. during the whole show. the whole way back. on my way to work today. and on my way back from work today. so i fucked it up. i fuckin seriosuly just want to quit. i've maxxed out my spending for all of this stuff. and what happens.. i fry my coil after only using the damn thing for two weeks. go fuckin figure. it's not worth working 40+ and having ) spending dollars. then having to play football and go to highschool.

so Fi has pretty good customer service but they never pick up the phone. they call u back. and i work so they'll probably end up calling whil ei;m there.. go figure.. and emailing sucks. but i'm going to do both.

this is great. now i have to send my sub across america and pay probably over $200 doing it. fuck me right.

but i might definately hit u up for that 15 haha.

but. damn. why does this shit hate me?

Thanks Bill!

before i totally go ape shit can anyone else let me know if my sub will be ok? or is a recone my only option?

ok 1st thing you do is take a few deep slow breaths, I know it sucks ballz but don't get too pissed till you here from fi, you never know, it could have happened cuz of a fault in construction or a number of other factors, the timing could be coincidence, i know I am being optomistic but you never know. i'm gonna pm you good tips that might help you get this resolved so check in a min.

Wow man. You totally abuse the sub and wonder why it breaks? Seriously? If you can't afford to fix it, don't break it.

Just play the thing. If you think it's already messed up, what can it hurt. If it still plays, you're fine and consider it a warning.

he's got a good point, play it and pay close attention to how it performs, if it is blown just unhook it quickly so you don't faq up your amp.

he's got a good point, play it and pay close attention to how it performs, if it is blown just unhook it quickly so you don't faq up your amp.

if it makes you feel any better when i 1st got into car audio in the mid 90's i blew my 1st 3 or 4 subs. I had bought a 10" boston acustic sub (an SQ sub) and tried to make it sound like an SPL sub, add to that I had zero knowledge and you get 4 blown subs in less then 2 months. Plus Boston has chit customer service so it was a nightmare. After that I decided to research and finally found what i was doing wrong and what I wanted, of course this was befofe the internet really so research was more difficult and expensive. If you blow only one sub in your life then you are a blessed man. keep your fingers crossed and maybe you got away with one.

you act like i meant to abuse it. that's the last thing i'd do. i'm 17 and this is my first real setup. i put the loud feature on not knowing. now i'll never use it again. sry for coming off like a little cry baby but its frustrating.

so you're saying if i hook it back up and it works fine. then everything is good? and what happened today and yesterday was me almost breaking it?

should i test it out in free air?

i would'nt suggest that, free air subs, or infinite baffle subs, are designed specifically for that and if memory serves me correct you run the risk of causing damage to your sub if it wasn't designed for that, i'd put it back in the enclosure and play it at low volume while listening for bad sounds like distorion, scratching or poor response, things like that, also look for smoke and flames! i'm not joking either, i've seen it!

so you're saying if i hook it back up and it works fine. then everything is good? and what happened today and yesterday was me almost breaking it?

Yes. It will probably have a more limited life due to the damage already inflicted on the poor thing but if it still works.............

Dude did I read earlier you set your gains at volume 20/36 then play the system daily at volume 22/36?? Why did you set them at 20? You were probably clipping the amp before it even got the shitty "loud" signal for 2hours or however long it was.

Jono

i would'nt suggest that, free air subs, or infinite baffle subs, are designed specifically for that and if memory serves me correct you run the risk of causing damage to your sub if it wasn't designed for that, i'd put it back in the enclosure and play it at low volume while listening for bad sounds like distorion, scratching or poor response, things like that, also look for smoke and flames! i'm not joking either, i've seen it!

alright i've heard that also. i'll put it back in tomorrow and test it out

but haha i've had smoke come out of my ports before.. i fried a kicker a while back....... guess how.. adding bass boost. :Doh:

didn't know that it was similar to loud features. but i should have known better

Yes. It will probably have a more limited life due to the damage already inflicted on the poor thing but if it still works.............

Dude did I read earlier you set your gains at volume 20/36 then play the system daily at volume 22/36?? Why did you set them at 20? You were probably clipping the amp before it even got the shitty "loud" signal for 2hours or however long it was.

Jono

yea i should just orbably get it fixed. i set the gains at 20 and play it 22 only because it was louder and i've always done it like that.. but it could;ve been affecting it this whole time.. who knows.. i suck

live and learn brotha live and learn! that smell was DEF NOT the sub just breaking in tho, doesn't mean its not going to be OK and i mean just ok not perfect. as crosspug said expect a much shorter life expectancy from sub for sure. good luck tom. let me know how it goes.