Sign in to follow this  
watchthis

12" Fi Q box design help

Thanks in advance for the help. Alright I am planning on getting a 12" Fi Q D2 and already ordered a sundown SAZ-1000D to power it. I've never built a box before and I dont trust the audio shop here. I want to build a L

shaped ported box. Its going in a 1997 chevy blazer so I have room. First should I go sub up port back or sub back port back? What are the benefits of each keep in mind I'm not going for spl. According to Fi "Ported

box we recommend using 1.8-2.5 cubic feet @ 28-33Hz (I personally think that a 32hz tuning is optimal, and has the most output and is still the most musical daily driving). Use 12-16 square inches of vent area per

cubic foot of volume." So I want to stay as close to that as I can 3/4" MDF board is what I will use. I downloaded a box calculator from I think Basshead (thank you btw) and I punched this in boxspec.jpg

Any tips revisions anything at all will be appreciated also do you guys think I need to brace it or not. Thanks again.

I have never used that program before, but the numbers look good, and I prefer sub back port back. :)

Ok I drew up some models one is sub and port back and one is sub up and port back.

subportback.jpg

portbacksubup.jpg

Do I need to change the port on the box with the sub facing up or is it ok the way it is.

Edited by watchthis

Ok I drew up some models one is sub and port back and one is sub up and port back.

subportback.jpg

portbacksubup.jpg

Do I need to change the port on the box with the sub facing up or is it ok the way it is.

its ok that way as long as you have room to drop your sub in, I like both designs and to me its a toss up (goes by your preference); but I would go with port back and sub back.

Would there be any sound difference with sub back port back vs. sub up port back. Its going in the back of and suv.

Potentially. Build them both and see what you like better.