Sign in to follow this  
cjj2d

any word from the 12 or 15 demo ring???

Cool, Saturday night it is. I'll give you a call. Hopefully you can get your system up. Mine is up and running and I'll bring the 1.5 sealed and braced from hell enclosure over.

Do you have a ported one?

Well I do have a ported one, but it is pretty rag tag, gets the job done in my car, but its pretty sad. Strong as hell, just funny looking.

I am getting tired of little $hit going wrong in my car. Little fuses popping for no apparent reason. Ground coming undone. My car is haunted lol.

I am getting tired of little $hit going wrong in my car. Little fuses popping for no apparent reason. Ground coming undone. My car is haunted lol.

Another satisfied GM owner.

When it works I wouldn't trade it for the world... haha

Proto is in my car, and Niggz89 from CA.com is coming to my house hes about 2 miles away.

Another satisfied GM owner.

hahaha.... go nissan.

I got the 12" proto Wednesday. By now you all know that this sub is a gorgeous piece, really understated, and at the same time mean looking. Tonight(Saturday) Niggz89(Matt) and Static(Pete) came over to my shop and we let er rip. Pete has a Crew Cab Ford F-150 with a Claw Basket Mag, and I have a 94 Z28. Matt didn't have anything in his Eclipse Spyder tonight.

Now I also got a Next VRz 5.500, a couple weeks ago, and figured this was the time to throw that in too. Installed that checked everything over, hooked battery back up and turned the key back to re adjust my Eclipse 8053. But wait. Security screen pops up? GREAT.

So I could not test the amp out, or the proto, atleast for about 12 minutes... I took my dash apart(worst design possibly ever) and get to the Eclipse. Had my trusty C90 in my house, glad nobody bought it when I had it up for sale. Installed it, and yes, tunes again.

Let me run down my setup real quick for everybody.

Eclipse 8053--->Sony Mobile ES C90

Alpine MRV-F540--->Next VRz 5.500

Focal 165W(mids in door tweeters in a-pillar)

Claw Basket SI Mag D2(~2.5 @ ~32hz, not 100% sure, close enough)

First thing I noticed switch amp and cd player, I don't know if the rear channels of the Alpine aren't as powerful as the Next sub channel, or just the Deck doing this, but it got noticeably louder. Other thing I noticed, Next amp gets HOT HOT, Pete and Matt can attest to this! But I played this sucker for 20-30 minutes straight on 2 seperate occasions and although it got HOT, it never skipped a beat. I am more and more impressed by this purchase.

Now for the swap. Claw--->Proto. Right away I noticed a pick up in the lower bass frequencies. It wasn't necessarily louder in some cases, but rather it laughed at the ~240 watts it was receiving, did everything the Claw did, and then some, and asked for more. But it definately dug a little deeper, and I love something with this nice an ass that loves to get down and dirty...;)

Well guess what. Matt brought along his JBL 1200.1. We ghetto rigged this in just like the rest of everything in my car (lol) and still wired to 4ohm, the JBL was a LARGE pick up. I know what you're thinking. ~300 watts ---> ~600 watts was that big of an improvement? Well my ears are still ringing all of these hours later. Well worth it :)

We listened to pretty much everything there is to listen to genre wise. Mudvayne, Fear Factory, Tech N9ne, Three Six, In Flames, and many other various mixes and cds. Oh and Nick, we listened to Track 11 on Thirteenth Step for you :) As with my Claw, nothing you threw at it could phase its performance, only now, it was louder, not even near my normal listening levels. It took the fast kick drums low bass lines and everything in between and really reached another level.

My Personal favorite song on this sub has been Dismiss the Cynic by In Flames. Do yourselves a favor and get ahold of this song if you want something to test your sub with.

I don't have a TON of experience with alot of subs in my own car, but have heard my fair share of camaro installs. 10w6v2, 2-12 L7's, 12w3's.. List goes on. The L7's were the loudest of the group, as expected, but the best up until tonight was the Claw basket Magnum D2. I have crowned a new champion...

I forgot to mention what it did in Pete's truck. He has his Claw in a smaller sealed box, I believe its a cube. He brought a bigger sealed box, I believe 1.5cube, and we put the proto in his truck. I didn't get a listen to the Claw in there, but his Memphis MC1000D gave it a good workout. Excursion was increased in the sealed box greatly! In my car it was moving fairly decently, but wow, sealed it surprised the hell out of us!

I think it had great sq in his truck as well, and could do everything that you would want it to. Did not get as loud as it did in my car, but larger ported enclosure + hatchback gave me a slight edge :)

Take it for what its worth.. I am not a great reviewer obviously, just general thoughts and reactions to everything. I think Matt and Pete were surprised by this thing in my car, Matt came not expecting much from what I could see, but even the Claw surprised him, and the Proto on the bigger amp, surpassed everything I could have imagined the sub would be.

Thanks Nick for lettin' me give er' a listen, and keepin' it for longer than I should have.. People say it costs too much, but I am fairly certain we all parted ways tonight thinking this sub is worth every penny.... And then some...

nice, thanks for posting your thoughts and review.

Cool! Thanks for posting on the night that you demo'd the driver. :) I'm going to have to pick up the In Flames CD to test with now.

nice review man...glad to see the proto didn't disappoint!!!

btw, where's the 15 at?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Still with Bob G. I haven't heard anything from him so I'm going to call him soon and find out what's going on.

Still with Bob G.  I haven't heard anything from him so I'm going to call him soon and find out what's going on.

thanks..i don't mean to sound pushy..but i'm kinda chompin at the bit here...lol...

and i'm going to jamaica soon (like the end of june) and i was kinda hopin to hear it and ship it back sometime before then....

again, sorry if this sounds pushy..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Hey Nick, PM me your address so I can send this thing out!

JB

Just send it to me. I need something for reference measurements. If Nick says okay.

Its the same thing as the Claw. Don't you have one of those? You just want the Proto :P

Its the same thing as the Claw. Don't you have one of those? You just want the Proto :P

I need all the dims of the current driver. Only part I have left of the claw is just that, the Claw. IF Nick doesn't need that back right away, that would be nice. Not a big deal though.

Speaking of, Nick, have you heard from Scott yet? I actually have a special preference of gaskets I need to ask them about.

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

the proto is the same as the claw? did i miss a memo?

i think someones been misinformed... :P:

Ryan, what do you need exactly? If you want the proto, just let me know. Your new addy will be just below where I live ... that is, if you're going to be in SC.

So until I hear from Ryan, I won't be sending you a PM Jordan. :P

Ryan, what do you need exactly?  If you want the proto, just let me know.  Your new addy will be just below where I live ... that is, if you're going to be in SC.

So until I hear from Ryan, I won't be sending you a PM Jordan.  :P

As of now, the move is off. That's a whole messed up story right there. If I do move, the soonest will be in the fall.

As for my needs, it's not a huge necessity, but it would be nice to have a finished driver to check all my clearances. I have some pretty tight tolerances that an assembled driver would really aid in checking. It's not a huge deal though, so if you NEED it, take it. I would only need it for a couple hours at most, so I'd ship it out the next day, unless I received it in the morning, in which case I could turn around and get it out again that day.

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

the proto is the same as the claw? did i miss a memo?

i think someones been misinformed... :P:

Oh it was in my car.. I think there is a difference lol

:greddy2: Go eat some farts

I miss my demo time with the proto

me too, I am ready for a new Mag!!!

gotta sell a mag too.