jcarter1885

Removing speakers from rear deck

id recommend you remove the rear fill unless you absolutely need it.... "lithium"

i like your thought on the temp removal as a gauge of effectiveness....... the rear deck is white vinyl as is all the interior, highly visible through clear glass, the 6x9 rear fill is almost more cosmetic than anything. trying to create a compromise here and budget is definitly on low side of things.......... i think bear still has his first dollar framed somewhere, lol. oh i guess i should mention the 6x9's are top mount....removal would result in holes.

picture might help us give you recommendations

id recommend you remove the rear fill unless you absolutely need it.... "lithium"

i like your thought on the temp removal as a gauge of effectiveness....... the rear deck is white vinyl as is all the interior, highly visible through clear glass, the 6x9 rear fill is almost more cosmetic than anything. trying to create a compromise here and budget is definitly on low side of things.......... i think bear still has his first dollar framed somewhere, lol. oh i guess i should mention the 6x9's are top mount....removal would result in holes.

picture might help us give you recommendations

i wish i had them... i will repost in a few days w/ pics on hand.... i don't wanna cloud up jay-cee's thread, thanks.

Leave the grills not the drivers :)

x2, I was about to say the same thing if they have grills leave them and if not, go buy some grills or find a cheap solution to cover up the holes (Im sure you can since your in car audio. But Im definantly not tripping about thread jacking since its about the same topic and I would suggest that you take the rear deck speckers out there will be a nice sound difference but nothing to do back flips over (just more bass in the cabin, those 6x9's are being drowned out by those subs anyways).

M5, one more quick question since me and you are both agreeing with the fact that Eminence Alpha-6C's are more mid-range should I keep the settings on my amp the same so I wont ruin the spakers (LPF Filter x10 @ 5,000Hz and Sub Sonic 150Hz or better)? Or would they benefit more on High Pass?

I had the sub sonic filter around 80-100Hz and didnt like that so last nite I bumped it up some and it sounds better with less strain on the speakers.

You won't hurt them by having them play too high in frequency, just low. Listen to them on their own with some nasty music and see if they struggle, if so turn up the HP (SS).

You won't hurt them by having them play too high in frequency, just low. Listen to them on their own with some nasty music and see if they struggle, if so turn up the HP (SS).

Yeah thats what I did but Ill do it again today and see if I like where I set it at last nite because I think it will stay where it is, man I really do appreciate you. :fing34:

I was thinking about running some Mach 5 Audio mli-65 in my set-up but not really sure if I want them, I see decent reviews on them but cant really see any videos to show off some performance. I really have been doing some heavy thinking and just cant come up with a reason to have mid-bass in the car if you got your subs playing all the time, I need some one with a 2-way or 3-way system to tell me how the mid-basses play a roll in the sound of your system (I know they allow you to get bass at frequencies where your sub cant extend or sound good at that level). I only view having a good mid-bass system in a car if you dont plan on putting subs in the car, but I know people will disagree with me (in my opinion if I didnt have subs I would have a lovely 3-way system but since I dont see me riding around without my subs so I dont see the point of mid-basses).

Since I want some loud interior speakers Im guessing that mid-basses wont get loud like mid-ranges since their not design for that (their designed for bass at higher frequencies than what your sub can handle). In my case would it be applicable (not what you would do, if anyone would answer this), when my volume is low my subs are crossed at I believe 80HZ and they throw some small bass out like I have mid-bass speakers in the rear deck and I have an epic-160 to throw pull some bass out my subs when playing at low volumes also. Thankx for any input.

I was thinking about running some Mach 5 Audio mli-65 in my set-up but not really sure if I want them, I see decent reviews on them but cant really see any videos to show off some performance. I really have been doing some heavy thinking and just cant come up with a reason to have mid-bass in the car if you got your subs playing all the time, I need some one with a 2-way or 3-way system to tell me how the mid-basses play a roll in the sound of your system (I know they allow you to get bass at frequencies where your sub cant extend or sound good at that level). I only view having a good mid-bass system in a car if you dont plan on putting subs in the car, but I know people will disagree with me (in my opinion if I didnt have subs I would have a lovely 3-way system but since I dont see me riding around without my subs so I dont see the point of mid-basses).

Since I want some loud interior speakers Im guessing that mid-basses wont get loud like mid-ranges since their not design for that (their designed for bass at higher frequencies than what your sub can handle). In my case would it be applicable (not what you would do, if anyone would answer this), when my volume is low my subs are crossed at I believe 80HZ and they throw some small bass out like I have mid-bass speakers in the rear deck and I have an epic-160 to throw pull some bass out my subs when playing at low volumes also. Thankx for any input.

videos are worthless to determine performance.

what kind of music do you listen to? sorry if this was asked before but if all you ever listen to is rap then i really dont see a point in adding midbass to a system too keep up with those subs...

Edited by lithium

The Alpha's are indeed midranges. 81Hz may be their spec, but 150-200Hz is more like their reality. As for what to do it depends on what is important to you.

My guess is that you can have your subs play high and get away with just the midrange and the horns. Considering you already have them installed that is what I would recommend first. After you upgrade your tweeters listen to music and some sweeps and then describe what you are lacking and we can propose a solution. Remember their is no best or absolute right, it is your system and should play what you want well not what I like. Get the horns in and see what happens :)

have you done this yet?

in bold ^^^^. incorrect, midbass is just a range of frequencies between mid range and bass. the hard part is getting an install where there is enough midbass to "keep up" with the rest of the system (ie subs). the hard part is in the installation of the midbass speakers themself, due to space restrictions. this is why you see people cutting their doors up just to put 8s in them haha. (luckly i didnt have to do any cutting :) )

gota get goin. im sure someone else can answer your other questions.

The Alpha's are indeed midranges. 81Hz may be their spec, but 150-200Hz is more like their reality. As for what to do it depends on what is important to you.

My guess is that you can have your subs play high and get away with just the midrange and the horns. Considering you already have them installed that is what I would recommend first. After you upgrade your tweeters listen to music and some sweeps and then describe what you are lacking and we can propose a solution. Remember their is no best or absolute right, it is your system and should play what you want well not what I like. Get the horns in and see what happens :)

have you done this yet?

Yes I have noticed where my car lacks bass at but its not a biggie ( I do listen to rap, r&b and old school r&b with some Citizen Cope here and there). Yeah I know videos are worthless for viewing performance just wanted to see what they could potentially offer sound wise (I do know that people use different power ranges and frequency levels and every install is different). I appreciate you correcting me about what mid-basses do, what you said was a better way of what I was trying to say (my mind said what you did but my typing it out was off).

Im gonna save the mid-bass Idea for another install in the future and Im set on mid-ranges and tweeters as my front stage, Thanks Lithium your the man with quick and logical responses.

x2, I was about to say the same thing if they have grills leave them and if not, go buy some grills or find a cheap solution to cover up the holes (Im sure you can since your in car audio. But Im definantly not tripping about thread jacking since its about the same topic and I would suggest that you take the rear deck speckers out there will be a nice sound difference but nothing to do back flips over (just more bass in the cabin, those 6x9's are being drowned out by those subs anyways).

M5, one more quick question since me and you are both agreeing with the fact that Eminence Alpha-6C's are more mid-range should I keep the settings on my amp the same so I wont ruin the spakers (LPF Filter x10 @ 5,000Hz and Sub Sonic 150Hz or better)? Or would they benefit more on High Pass?

I had the sub sonic filter around 80-100Hz and didnt like that so last nite I bumped it up some and it sounds better with less strain on the speakers.

thanks fellas i'll let you know how it turns out

have you done this yet?

Yes I have noticed where my car lacks bass at but its not a biggie ( I do listen to rap, r&b and old school r&b with some Citizen Cope here and there). Yeah I know videos are worthless for viewing performance just wanted to see what they could potentially offer sound wise (I do know that people use different power ranges and frequency levels and every install is different). I appreciate you correcting me about what mid-basses do, what you said was a better way of what I was trying to say (my mind said what you did but my typing it out was off).

Im gonna save the mid-bass Idea for another install in the future and Im set on mid-ranges and tweeters as my front stage, Thanks Lithium your the man with quick and logical responses.

sounds good man, good luck!

The MLi65's are great little drivers.

Midbass is integrated differently for a lot of people. Some of us do not like to have our subs play higher than 40-50Hz. This creates the need for some serious front stage drivers. It is always more efficient for output to play your subs as high as possible and if you are truly into output you probably won't care if it is localizable.

In your case the solution is to take care of the tweeters and mids and then see what happens.