Sign in to follow this  
emh9009

which amp

T'm trying to find the right amp for these im stuck between the 125.2 and the 100.4. can i run those passive? ive never set a front stage up so ive been trying to find the differences between passive and active, can anyone explain or give me a link to read on this? i only have a minor understanding but want to learn! i looked on the 12volt but couldnt find anything, maybe i just cant find the right stuff i want?

i would prefer the easier setup because of my inexperience, so im thinking passive on a 125.2, would that work and sound good? the porblems i can think of for active is if i got the 100.4 would that give too much to the tweeters, or would i be able to tune it down? and if thats too much would the 50.4 be a better match, or would that be too little for the midbass? i know you cant underpower it all, but im looking to get pretty loud. i listen to 95% rap and hip hop, and have a bl in the back. im upgrading from stock speakers so im really excited for this. any help in appreciated. and any more info you need just ask

T'm trying to find the right amp for these im stuck between the 125.2 and the 100.4. can i run those passive? ive never set a front stage up so ive been trying to find the differences between passive and active, can anyone explain or give me a link to read on this? i only have a minor understanding but want to learn! i looked on the 12volt but couldnt find anything, maybe i just cant find the right stuff i want?

i would prefer the easier setup because of my inexperience, so im thinking passive on a 125.2, would that work and sound good? the porblems i can think of for active is if i got the 100.4 would that give too much to the tweeters, or would i be able to tune it down? and if thats too much would the 50.4 be a better match, or would that be too little for the midbass? i know you cant underpower it all, but im looking to get pretty loud. i listen to 95% rap and hip hop, and have a bl in the back. im upgrading from stock speakers so im really excited for this. any help in appreciated. and any more info you need just ask

If your gonna buy an amp that can run speakers active then in my opinion it is a waste to buy it for a passive set of component speakers.

Active

A word prefacing certain circuits in which the processing is performed by use of transistor or tube juctions, rather than passive componenets such as resistors, capacitors, and coils. Such items as crossovers and equalizers may be constructed either way. Active processing usually affords more more options, and greater precision, albeit at greater cost.

(A tweeter and Mid-range/Mid-bass speaker without a crossover box before an amp, usually crossed at amp, head unit or any good equalizer)

Passive Component

In a crossover system, a non-powered component used to separate an audio signal into a specified frequency band before it goes to a particular amplifier or driver. A passive device usually incurs some loss (expressed in decibels) to a system. Typical such components include capacitors, coils, and resistors.

(A component set of speakers, same brand of tweeters and mids with a crossover attached to them)

I think there are way better and cheaper solutions than those rockford fosgate components that sound good. Go active and look at mids and tweeters(if you want the 50.4 hurry up and buy since they are getting phased out) but the SAX100.4 will suit your needs perfectly if you want to run mids and tweets, the SAX125.2 will only do if you just purchasing mids:

Tweeters (www.madisound.com or www.parts-express.com)

Mids(SSA.com-mach 5 audio mli-65 or Ascendant Audio 7" Mids; www.parts-express.com)

go with the 100.4, db-r.com has them refurbished with 1 year warrenty for 265 ish. as far as active vs passive. you can definitely do better running active but you have to educate your self alittle bit before hand.

here is alittle piece on why its better. if you are willing to learn how, active is the way to go. if your not ready to learn how to set an active front stage right now but maybe down the road still get the 100.4. if your just looking to toss in a set of speakers save some money and get a 125.2

another option for an amp for active, kenwood's kac-x4r. all the xover stuff plus time alignment plus eq (if i remember right) BUT, from what i've heard, is alittle overrated power wise...

i should also add here, an active capable hu is way easier for tuning.

Edited by lithium

Not all tweeters are 4 ohms...not sure what RF uses.

I'd go with the active setup and 100.4 which would be easier to work with than a passive crossover.

Most passive xovers are simple and have phasing issues around the crossover point. Not to mention most don't compensate for the impedence changes when the cone moves. This usually results in a harsh sounding tweeter or really hard "S" sounds.

You don't have that issue with an active setup. The downside is that an active setup costs more in amps, wiring, and potential electrical system upgrades. The electrical system shouldn't be an issue in most cases depending on how much current your sub amp is sucking up.

Sign in to follow this