Sign in to follow this  
7ender

Port too close to sub?

I have a number of questions that I was hoping someone with experience can answer. I'm currently running a 15" BTL off 1600 in a 4 cube enclosure at 33hz.

I feel like I don't have enough port area- i'm using one 6" aero which gives me 28" of port and 7" per cube. Do you think i'd have a noticeable difference by switching to a larger 8" port? I already bought the port, but don't want to destoy my old box if there wont' even be a noticeable difference. I'm hoping to achieve better lows...I figure that my larger port will give more output/peak at my tuning frequency of 33hz, hence giving me a better low end. In doing so, i'll also gain slightly more volume in my box (.2 cubic feet) as the aero will be completely external.

So assuming I do it- 1. Will it be okay if the port has a 90 degree bend in it? I know it probably won't be quite as efficient, but will the difference be noticeable? I'm not doing an TL'ing...just a daily setup.

and 2. My port will end right where the sub is. I've drawn up a picture to better describe it:

Untitled.jpg

Red is the sub, black is my port. Will this have any negative affects? My other option is to turn the port the other direction towards the side of my trunk. I'm a bit leary to do this as it'll be fairly close to my trunk side wall.

Thanks!

why not put it half in/ half out. if that drawing is to scale it would appear you'd have the space unless the displacement of the port inside the box is too much.

where did you find a 8" aero for sale? I've only found them up to 6".

I don't think you'd want the port in front of the sub.

I cant' put it half in/half out because it will need to stick out to far, and be too close to my rear trunk wall. I also like the fact that i'm gaining some internal volume :).

As for the port, it's just an 8" sonotube with a homemade flare on it.

I cant' put it half in/half out because it will need to stick out to far, and be too close to my rear trunk wall. I also like the fact that i'm gaining some internal volume :).

As for the port, it's just an 8" sonotube with a homemade flare on it.

It might just be me, but this seems like it will have mad cancellation witten all over it.