JWPOORE

Speaker wiring gurus...Need Help

I am looking to run double midbasses along with a midrange and tweeter in each door. They are Hertz HSK 165 components, HL 70 mids, and these crossovers: http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/pdf_3W20.pdf All of the speakers are 4 ohm versions. (Picture of this type of setup is also on the link)

Could you tell me what they would be running at? I figured it was they would be running at 4 ohm per side when wired up, but got confused when looking at a bunch of different charts.

I am looking to run this type of frontstage off of one of the new Zed Audio amps. I was originally going with the six channel and trying to figure a way to go active if needed, but I was thinking maybe if it would be possible to use the 2 channel Kronos and run passive through the crossovers listed above and hopefully it would handle them with no problem. (Kronos amp: 2 x 250 watts @ 4ohm)

Look forward to help and suggestions. Thanks.

Edited by JWPOORE

You won't be able to run double midbasses on that passive crossover. Assuming you'd wire the midbasses in each door in parallel, that'll give you a 2 ohm load. That will not keep the crossover point the same on the crossover. If I remember correctly, a halving of impedance also halves the crossover frequency. so instead of the midbasses being highpassed at 500 hz with those crossovers, they will be at 250 hz. The mid and tweeter will still be the same since they'll just still be 4 ohms. So you'll have a gap between 250 and 500 hz in your frequency response.

My suggestion would be to just get a 2 way passive for the mid and tweet and have them on their own 2 channel amp. That way you can highpass the mids with the amp at 500 hz or so. Then get a separate amp for the midbasses, something with the capability to bandpass them. (normally done with a 2 channel amp that has both lowpass and subsonic crossovers).

I am looking to run double midbasses along with a midrange and tweeter in each door. They are Hertz HSK 165 components, HL 70 mids, and these crossovers: http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/pdf_3W20.pdf All of the speakers are 4 ohm versions. (Picture of this type of setup is also on the link)

Could you tell me what they would be running at? I figured it was they would be running at 4 ohm per side when wired up, but got confused when looking at a bunch of different charts.

I am looking to run this type of frontstage off of one of the new Zed Audio amps. I was originally going with the six channel and trying to figure a way to go active if needed, but I was thinking maybe if it would be possible to use the 2 channel Kronos and run passive through the crossovers listed above and hopefully it would handle them with no problem. (Kronos amp: 2 x 250 watts @ 4ohm)

Look forward to help and suggestions. Thanks.

unless you can design your own custom set of passive crossovers you will have to get 6 channels of power, one per speaker, and go active.

just one big (8 + inch) midbass per side would probably keep things more simple for you aswell.

You won't be able to run double midbasses on that passive crossover. Assuming you'd wire the midbasses in each door in parallel, that'll give you a 2 ohm load. That will not keep the crossover point the same on the crossover. If I remember correctly, a halving of impedance also halves the crossover frequency. so instead of the midbasses being highpassed at 500 hz with those crossovers, they will be at 250 hz. The mid and tweeter will still be the same since they'll just still be 4 ohms. So you'll have a gap between 250 and 500 hz in your frequency response.

My suggestion would be to just get a 2 way passive for the mid and tweet and have them on their own 2 channel amp. That way you can highpass the mids with the amp at 500 hz or so. Then get a separate amp for the midbasses, something with the capability to bandpass them. (normally done with a 2 channel amp that has both lowpass and subsonic crossovers).

I was under the impression that these crossovers were made to run double midbasses like shown in the example on the link, even though it does not look like there is a space on the crossover for the additional midbass in the picture. The example does show 2x midbass, mid and tweet though and a person on another site was running this type of setup with these crossovers and was the reason I was curious about the crossovers. I tried contacting Hertz, but no reply yet from them or the person that was running them on the other site.

If this is not an option, my original idea was to use the Zed 6 channel, running maybe the mids and tweets off channels 1 & 2 and then run a set of midbass off channel 3&4 and the other set off channels 5&6, but not sure if that would work properly or create a headache. :Doh:

IMO it is crazy to use 2 6.5" midbasses when instead you could use a real one in the first place. With what direction you are going you really should think about an active setup. Running that many drivers passive just doesn't make sense when for less money you could have a far superior system. Don't believe the hype on the Hertz stuff. For the money you'd throw into the setup you described there are many drivers that will completely embarrass the Hertz. What you should do is describe your goals, your install space, your budget, and your capabilities and then we can help you put together a system that will work for your needs.

*note, I am not saying Hertz is bad but for the dough you've outlined to spend to do it they make no sense whatsoever