Lucky 76

What to use with Image Dynamics Horns?

I planned on buying a set of image dynamics horns. The ID Horns get so loud I do not know what to use to compliment them. Should I go a midrange and a midbass or just a midbass because the horns tackle such a large range of frequencies?

I planned on buying a set of image dynamics horns. The ID Horns get so loud I do not know what to use to compliment them. Should I go a midrange and a midbass or just a midbass because the horns tackle such a large range of frequencies?

I would say go mid-bass with them since they do great at a bie width of frequencies, I ruled out against getting them since my Eminences are mid-range and are pucking loud ass balls so Im gonna to find some good tweeters. Just my .02

Would a 3 way have the potential to be louder than a set of id horns and midbass?

Would a 3 way have the potential to be louder than a set of id horns and midbass?

Honestly nobody can answer that question can this get louder than this setup (or give you the best and accurate answer because their are to many variables). Sometimes you just gotta find what you want and if its not loud enough for you add on or upgrade what you have (thats what car audio is about upgrading till you have what you want). I would go with the horns and a nice mid-range and if thats not enough for you then step up to a three-way setup or buy you some speakers with a high sensitivity, take a lot of power and good amp. There is a dude on here that has 4-15 xcons and look at his buil I think he has a three way in his doors, ask him he will be able to guide you in what will be loud enough or close to for your setup.

Honestly nobody can answer that question can this get louder than this setup (or give you the best and accurate answer because their are to many variables). Sometimes you just gotta find what you want and if its not loud enough for you add on or upgrade what you have (thats what car audio is about upgrading till you have what you want). I would go with the horns and a nice mid-range and if thats not enough for you then step up to a three-way setup or buy you some speakers with a high sensitivity, take a lot of power and good amp. There is a dude on here that has 4-15 xcons and look at his buil I think he has a three way in his doors, ask him he will be able to guide you in what will be loud enough or close to for your setup.

Do you know who?

Do you know who?

Naw but I definantly gave you enough information for you to go find out who it is, look through build logs or pound that sound because I know thats where his enclosure is from. Search around on the forum it wont hurt.

I found these but they are 7". They have a great sensitivity however.

http://www.parts-express.com//pe/showdetl.cfm?AID=1457539&PID=440939&Partnumber=295-374&DID=7

Would these be nice to compliment the horns?

These are also looking nice

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5554/Esotec-MW-172--Dynaudio-8"-Mid-Woofer.htm

Edited by Lucky 76

Do you know who?

BTW. Thumpper is the guy with the XCONs

He uses jbl and I hate jbl. These daytons were looking like the best sensitivity and power handling that I could find. Also have a nice frequency range since I plan to cross over at 50-60 hZ

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-100

Well I didnt mean you had to use the exact same speakers or brand just ask him if 2 or 3 way speaker system would do your install justice since yall will have similar sub setup (just size difference).

I saw the way his is setup. I am not cutting my doors more than they already are. He has two sets in the doors. Gonna have to find something else. I wish I could find an 8 inch sub that could extend to around 700hz lol. Or a midrange that would fill the gap between an 8" sub and the tweets but also be able to blend well with the output of the others.

No way, not even close unless the 3 way system used horns as well. Amusing to think of any other answer as 99% of 3 ways use a little 60w tweeter with a 90dB sensitivity. Which means that there are horns that will be just as loud with 1w.

As to not using them with the Eminence midranges, that seems silly as well. The efficiencies line up pretty well so they'd be a great fit.

And as for the midbass, midrange question from the OP you are going to have to run a midrange as they won't really dig deep enough to play with a midbass. If you are willing to seriously underlap (which can sound okay) or compromise on what you refer to as a midbass then you could. Why not try them with the RE mids you already have and see what you think you are lacking?

The thing is I have tried the REs. This was with the 2 sets but still should have been louder. Someone on image dynamics told me the xs69 by image dynamics would be perfect for the horns. They were made to match one of the mods said. There is also more cone area in the 6x9s and they play the freq range needed. They also have a 92 db sensitivity, 4 ohm, and take 150 rms like its its job. Only downfall is the price at 450 a set =(

Bet you'll be unhappy with the money spent as well.

You get to trade off either midbass or midrange if you are only going 2 way. If you have your subs play up real high perhaps you'd be okay without the midbass, but that is personal.

Thing is I need to play my subs on the low end because they are 18s. I wanted to cross over around 50-60 hZ to around 800hZ. Do you have any experience with those 6x9s? Will they deliver the best midbass out of everything I have posted? I am more concerned with midbass that is why I am asking. Like I said midbass and highs are key to me. Someone told me they have more cone area than an 8 but i do not see how that is possible.

If A=pi*r^2

Then pi*4^2 < ((.5)*pi*4.5^2+(.5)*pi*3^2)

So I am not understanding how a 6x9 has more area.

Can you fit an 8" or a 10" mid? Normally for a midbass nut, I'd recommend a sub for a midbass but getting one to play up to 800hz isn't going to happen. Perhaps we can get close with a woofer if we up the diameter.

Why don't you use a pro sound driver? They are made to mate w/horns. Just a few examples:

18sound 6.5"

B&C 6.5"

B&C 8"

If he would cross his subs higher and wasn't a midbass fiend I'd agree completely.

12" woofers in the floor?? LOL I kid. I missed the part about crossing his subs so low.

If the you're such a midbass fiend, why not cross those babies (18's) over higher? Then I bet you'd have plenty! AND you could find a driver that could fill in the gap between those monsters and the horns at 1k...

I can probably fit an 8 in the kick. Would those b&c 8s do work? The sensitivity is incredible on those. Will the xcon 18s play good at around the xover point I need? What will those b&cs run down to around 70 hZ without loosing quality?

The B&C's are more of a midrange, getting much out of them below 150hz isn't going to happen. Great drivers and would be something I'd definitely recommend if you stated your goals differently, you really need a sub that can reach up higher...which also means you are going to need power as you will give up efficiency.

Realistically since you want it loud it is probably a better trade-off to use something like the B&C's, but that won't satisfy your midbass desire. Depending on your enclosure though I bet you can work the Xcon's up further.

But for another 100 wouldnt the ID 6x9s be worth it? They were made to compliment the id horns. Which would be more midbassier, if that is a word. And also how much of a difference would there be in midbass?

I do not have too much room behind the kicks. The 4 inch mounting depth was kind of snug. Those ids should be able to get pretty loud with a 92 sensitivity and can take more than 150 rms according to the techs. Is there a sub that you would recommend for midbass? I was thinking about putting a sub in the kick if I can find one about 5" mounting depth. The only problem like you said is sensitivity. I cannot fit over an 8" driver in the kicks as that is already going to be a struggle.

Edited by Lucky 76

I haven't heard them, but am dubious to say the least.