southpawprof

IXL 12" Sub... Need help picking an enclosure!

Assuming this is for a car, I'd target Mark's recommendations. 1cuft and 33Hz.

Great choice :)

Nice choice on sub woofer. Any chance you can build the box? Just mention it as most pre-fabs are 5/8" thick, and you can build one with 3/4" yourself. There are a few custom box builders on this site.

Nice choice on sub woofer. Any chance you can build the box? Just mention it as most pre-fabs are 5/8" thick, and you can build one with 3/4" yourself. There are a few custom box builders on this site.

I could build the box myself, but I have a few questions. Does the 1 cubic foot include the port, or is the main chamber 1 cubic foot. Also, what dimensions would I have to make this thing so that it's 33hz? Anyone have a blueprint of a suitable enclosure? Or could anyone link me to something for sale online?

The 1cuft is net, meaning you have to add space for the port and the sub.

As for a "blueprint" It is rather vehicle dependent so some more background might yield you a better response.

Here is an example, thanks to fallen on ROE, of a 1.0 cube box at 30hz.

1cuft30Hz1.png

Net volume: 1cuft

Tuning: 30Hz

Port Area:15.62 sq in(12.5"Hx1.25"W)

Dimensions:14H"X12D"x24W"

1cuft30Hz1.png

fallen is the man, and so are you! awesome. I'll get started on this tonight. I just have to figure out where to buy

the carpeting.

Edited by southpawprof

1cuft30Hz1.png

fallen is the man, and so are you! awesome. I'll get started on this tonight. I just have to figure out where to buy

the carpeting.

Go to a fabric store, autozone or walmart to find you some carpet, parts-express.com also has some fabric for sale.

Super cheap grey stuff at Autozone that works.

:Doh: beat me to it.

Super cheap grey stuff at Autozone that works.

:Doh: beat me to it.

Yeah as much as I used to go to Autozone I never seen it before until the other and I was loving the price, do you know any other places to find at a better price (just curious).

Only arbitrary fabric stores, the last time I bought fabric at Autozone it was like $7 so that was pretty hard to beat but also 3 years ago.

Just for the record... Mark from Mach5Audio just emailed this to me. It's the diagram for 1 cubic foot ported box tuned to exactly 33Hz! Thanks everyone. I'll try to find that fabric at autozone tonight.

I don't see any way for me to upload a pic from my hard drive. :Doh:

Well upload the picture in in your gallery and go from there or make an account on photobucket or something.

I like that picture from ROE. It looks like Sketchup. I was never very good using that program.

I like that picture from ROE. It looks like Sketchup. I was never very good using that program.

I have not really messed with it, but it is quite effective for straight forward designs like this.

I guess I'm just a not-so-straight-forward kinda guy haha. I'm sure if one spends enough time at it things should fall into place...

IMO that box is too small. It should be at least 1.4-1.6 cubes after displacements for optimum efficiency of the IXL 12. I believe the 1 cubic foot box was for the sealed box requirements.

Thats where I come in... ;) I spent way to many hours playing with that program........very cool program once you grasp all the tricks.

Parameters have changed a bit from the originals Sean. With the adjustments made folks can squeeze them into a smaller ported box but lose the ability to use them effectively in a sealed config.

Can't fool physics unfortunately.

EDIT: And I may just take you up on that offer ;)