edouble

electrical upgrade questions

System I am planning to power.

Sundown SAZ-1500D

Sundown SAX-100.4D

I have a 08 Hyundai Elantra and unfortunately I am hard time finding a reliable high output alternator. My vehicle has a factory 90 amp alternator. I am contacting Mr.Alternator to see what my options are. Any suggestions?

I am thinking about using a Kinetik HC 1400 as the primary battery and a Kinetik HC 600 in the trunk near the amps. What size battery isolator should I use? Where should I put the battery isolator? What gauge wire should I use between batteries and isolator?

BTW I plan on using all Stinger power wires, connectors and battery isolator.

Thanks

I think you would be fine with just the big 3 in 1/0 ga. and the two batteries. Try it without HO alt firt. Thats not that much power really.

Why do you need a battery isolator?

Edited by Sir-Lancelot

I think you would be fine with just the big 3 in 1/0 ga. and the two batteries. Try it without HO alt firt. Thats not that much power really.

Why do you need a battery isolator?

I think you have to have a battery isolator between two batteries. I am concerned that the factory alt will not be able to charge two batteries.

I dont have one between mine, just fuses.

Granted my stock alt is much larger than your 90, but still it's not that much power you are talking about. Maybe others will chime in to correct me, but my opinion is you wont need the HO alt or the isolator and if it was me I would try it without first before spending $$ for the hell of it.

Granted my stock alt is much larger than your 90, but still it's not that much power you are talking about. Maybe others will chime in to correct me, but my opinion is you wont need the HO alt or the isolator and if it was me I would try it without first before spending $$ for the hell of it.

He wont need a HO but should get a bigger alt though like one with an 150 amp output. Cause with both amp playing give or take he will be pulling a 125 amps alot of stress on both batteries. Why i say a least 150 is becasue you have to also include for the other electrical that the car use ie lights, etc

He wont need a HO but should get a bigger alt though like one with an 150 amp output. Cause with both amp playing give or take he will be pulling a 125 amps alot of stress on both batteries. Why i say a least 150 is becasue you have to also include for the other electrical that the car use ie lights, etc

When I was saying an HO alt I was just referring to an alt in the 130-150 amp range. I thought you had to have a battery isolator between batteries?

When I was saying an HO alt I was just referring to an alt in the 130-150 amp range. I thought you had to have a battery isolator between batteries?

I would still try it with the big 3, extra battery, and the stock alt. I am a big fan of not spending money just for the hell of it. If your stock alt gives up, buy a larger one. If your voltage drops too low, buy the alt. It could be years or never before you would need it. It's your money do as you wish, but thats how I would do it. Fix things that you know are broke and leave well enough alone.

An isolator would only be useful if you want to play your radio with the ignition off and that would ruin your batteries and amps.

So does the isolator go between the alt and batteries or between the two batteries?

But what you guys are saying is that I dont need an isolator at all? I will only be using the stereo when the car is on.