thebiggmann12

18" Fi Q in a Focus Hatchback

hey guys, this is my first post lol but i have been a member for a bit. so i just got a 18" Fi Q and just built the box to 6.3 cubic feet after port and sub displacement. i have the port tuned to 31.4 hz. it sounds amazing especially in my little ass car lol fits in the trunk just perfect. i have it double baffled and it doesnt rattle or leak any air. i am running hifonics 1600 watt rms amp, turned a little over half way up, and have 0 gauge wire. stock alternator and battery. big three upgrade. i have 2 questions tho. my first question is...there is no gain setting on my amp...idk where to set the gain bc there is no knob. if somebody could give me some help with that it would be greatly appreciated. my other question isnt as much of a nessecity to know, but does anybody know approximately what kinda db numbers i would be looking at with my setup? i dont have any dynomat or nething. the sub and port are both faced up. thanx for any help in advanced.

hey guys, this is my first post lol but i have been a member for a bit. so i just got a 18" Fi Q and just built the box to 6.3 cubic feet after port and sub displacement. i have the port tuned to 31.4 hz. it sounds amazing especially in my little ass car lol fits in the trunk just perfect. i have it double baffled and it doesnt rattle or leak any air. i am running hifonics 1600 watt rms amp, turned a little over half way up, and have 0 gauge wire. stock alternator and battery. big three upgrade. i have 2 questions tho. my first question is...there is no gain setting on my amp...idk where to set the gain bc there is no knob. if somebody could give me some help with that it would be greatly appreciated. my other question isnt as much of a nessecity to know, but does anybody know approximately what kinda db numbers i would be looking at with my setup? i dont have any dynomat or nething. the sub and port are both faced up. thanx for any help in advanced.

Yeah you should be around 192db's and killing the game, for real dude if you want to know what your hitting do like everybody else does and go get it metered using a TL Meter (some local shops have one, but thats the ONLY way to tell).

What do you mean their is no gain setting on the amp? Buy a DMM (digital multi-meter) and set your gains correctly.

well there are only 2 shops around where i live, and neither of them have a term lab, 1 of them has some kinda meter, n have their little bass wars which i won with 2 12" mtx 9500's but it said i was at 151.6 dbs and i have a hard time believing that. idc whati hit, i dont do it for competing, i do it bc i like the sound. i was really just wondering if somebody had a similar setup and had gotten metered. and im not sure how to correctly set the gains without a gain knob on my amp. could anybody tell me or show me a link to a site where it shows me how to set it correctly? i would prefer that if your going to just give me shit, dont. if u can help answer my questions than great if not, there is no need to criticize me just bc u kno how to set an amp better than i. thanx.

well there are only 2 shops around where i live, and neither of them have a term lab, 1 of them has some kinda meter, n have their little bass wars which i won with 2 12" mtx 9500's but it said i was at 151.6 dbs and i have a hard time believing that. idc whati hit, i dont do it for competing, i do it bc i like the sound. i was really just wondering if somebody had a similar setup and had gotten metered. and im not sure how to correctly set the gains without a gain knob on my amp. could anybody tell me or show me a link to a site where it shows me how to set it correctly? i would prefer that if your going to just give me shit, dont. if u can help answer my questions than great if not, there is no need to criticize me just bc u kno how to set an amp better than i. thanx.

Regardless if someone had the same setup as you, yall wont be hitting the same numbers (different cars do different things). Im not giving you shit and Im not criticizing you just answering your questions (if they are hurting your feelings or making you feel small than thats a personal problem). To set gains correctly buy a DMM (digital multi-meter) like I said earlier and go under the Amplifiers / Head Units / Processors / Electrical section and click on- How To: Set Your Amplifier Gain and follow the instructions.

do u think 151.6 is possible running 2 12" mtx 9500's, 1 kicker zx1000.1 in the prefab sludgehammer box running 0 gauge wire, with no dynamat? if so then im gonna take my car up there and see what it does with the q.

Fuck if we know. How many times are you going to ask the question that cannot be given an answer without physically testing shit in "YOUR" car. Actually, go to radioshack and buy an SPL meter (about 30 bucks) and test your set-up and you will know yourself.

and take a picture of the sides of your amp and we will tell you where the gain knob is. I really don't see how you can have any sound out of your subs if you cannot turn the gain up.

Edited by phi

do u think 151.6 is possible running 2 12" mtx 9500's, 1 kicker zx1000.1 in the prefab sludgehammer box running 0 gauge wire, with no dynamat? if so then im gonna take my car up there and see what it does with the q.

Since you said they dont have a Term Lab Meter its an unkown meter than its probably off and there is no telling by how much, but in that box and on that much power I heavily doub it. There are to many factors as to how big is the box, what is it tuned to, what vehicle is it in, etc.

Level knob is the Gain (.2 v to 9 volts), so you were just turning things and getting sound but not knowing that you had a gain and wondering why it was playing?

Just so you wont mess anything up, turn the Bass EQ knob on O db. On your headunit make sure your LoudButton or feature is OFF.

no i figured the level was like the bass boost. i figured one of the other knobs was a gain just with a different name. i just turned the level up until the sub sounded a little distorted, and then turned it down to where it didnt sound distorted, for the time being. i kno how to set the gain on an amp, i did it with my zx1000.1. i just didnt know which knob was the gain. what is the phase?

The Phase is on O also, the Bass EQ is on 0db, Sub Sonic Filter set around 0-10 Hz lower than box tuning and Low Pass on 80 or lower, maybe a little higher whatever you preference.

alright thanx man. i appreciate it. ill post back 2marro after i set the gain and every thing else. and again, thanx.

No problem man, good luck.

alright, got it all setup and it sounds great. thanx bro.