Sign in to follow this  
bdawg8527

01 Grand am Setup Help!

OK, my 18 Btl is on its way for my grand am. the alternator is a 105 amp alternator. so im not sure WHAT im going to need, just that most likely i will to power it suffeciently. I got the BTL fully loaded with everything, and this is my daily driver car.

Current Funds-900-1000$

Purchased:

Fi BtL 18

here are the Amps i am looking at.

Hifonics BXI2008-275$ shipped

or a

KICKER ZX2500.1-750$ shipped

Or what do you reccomend

what kind of Cap should i get? or not get one?

New alternator? If so what kind?

and What kind of wire, i was told Monster 1/0 Gauge is that correct?

thing is not sure if i can run the kicker and have enough power STOCK to handle it, and have enough money left over for the rest of what i need. Battery, Wire, Cap.

Thanks in advance for help

DO NOT GET A CAP!! look into a kinetik hc2400 battery for your rear and knu konceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable for you power wire. mechman 250amp alt always a good choice. the kicker amp is pretty good, but if you want great, SUNDOWN SAZ-3500D, Sounstream xxx-4000d, hifonics xxv colossus amp

Your stock alt is not going to be able to handle all that amperage thats going to be pulled. your going to have to do the big 3 under the hood in all 1/0 awg or bigger if possible in order to pass the right amount of power and decrease voltage drops.

The mechman alt. will give you the amperage you need for whatever amp you choose.

your also going to need a pretty good front stage to keep up with the BTL.

OK, my 18 Btl is on its way for my grand am. the alternator is a 105 amp alternator. so im not sure WHAT im going to need, just that most likely i will to power it suffeciently. I got the BTL fully loaded with everything, and this is my daily driver car.

Current Funds-900-1000$

Purchased:

Fi BtL 18

or a

Or what do you reccomend

thing is not sure if i can run the kicker and have enough power STOCK to handle it, and have enough money left over for the rest of what i need. Battery, Wire, Cap.

Give us better information like what subwoofer version did you get? No Kicker amp since they are expensive and have a set sub sonic filter which may cause you problems down the road, no Hifonics since it will cause you problems down the road. Try to find a alternator between 150-200A. What other equipment will you be running in your car? Get KnuKonceptz wire, its bigger and cheaper. Your not going to have enough stock power to run any amp above 1500rms.

Current Funds-900-1000$

Purchased:

Fi BtL 18

or a

Or what do you reccomend

Give us better information like what subwoofer version did you get? No Kicker amp since they are expensive and have a set sub sonic filter which may cause you problems down the road, no Hifonics since it will cause you problems down the road. Try to find a alternator between 150-200A. What other equipment will you be running in your car? Get KnuKonceptz wire, its bigger and cheaper. Your not going to have enough stock power to run any amp above 1500rms.

actually, i dont know how big to make the box. and a 200 amp alternator should be good sufficient right? anyone know where to get a bigger one for an 01 grand am? also i have a 2.4l twin cam. ive seen the big 3 and plan on doing it.

here is the one ive been looking at.

http://www.motorcityreman.com/9698grandam24l.html

thats the biggest ive been able to find.

i got the BTL with dual 2, coolers, Hixm coil, Daily version, and universal

Edited by bdawg8527

IF they don't have the fit for your car on the website. call them to make sure. alot of the models aren't on the website

The 200Amp alternator is the biggest you will probably fine for your car and it will be fine just make sure you get you a backup battery.

I'm running a Hifonics XXV COLOSSUS to my 18" MAYHEM(I know its not BTL but its close lol) and the sub seems to love it. Im doing a 146.7 on music sealed legal on TL...and 149.1 in the kick with drivers window crazked open...

And that amp can be had for about $600 shipped.

Why do people want to run their BTL with 3000-3500 watts?

I always thought 2000 watts was enough for daily drive with a BTL in a good enclosure.

Maybe I am wrong?

It would be really cheaper to have a 2000 w amp rather than a 3000 one; cheaper on the purchase, and cheaper on the electrical upgrades.

Why do people want to run their BTL with 3000-3500 watts?

I always thought 2000 watts was enough for daily drive with a BTL in a good enclosure.

Maybe I am wrong?

It would be really cheaper to have a 2000 w amp rather than a 3000 one; cheaper on the purchase, and cheaper on the electrical upgrades.

I guess just so you can say that you have 3,000 watts going to a BTL 18.... I'm not sure. But if done correctly they can thermally handle it. I got my 3000D back when I had 2 btl 18's, just to have some overhead. But it ended up working great when I switched to a BTL in a relatively small box. (~5.5-6 ft ^3 after displacement).