Sign in to follow this  
wof131s

HO Alternator Help!!!

I bought an 230A alternator from Nations Starter and Alternator in Cape Girardeau, MO about a year ago for $450, my warrenty is expired and now its squeaking. I spoke to the guy at the store and he says that there is no way that alternator is squeaking he said that he was 1000% (yes 1000%) sure it had to be something else but not the alternator. He is stuck on his work being perfect. All I can say is that I would never ever buy anything from them again. Ok now that thats out of the way, should i take it to an alternator shop to get it fixed, or should i just get a new one. And if so where can i get a 200-250 Amp alternator for a reasonable price? Its for a 2000 Dodge Dakota.

Edited by wof131s

um... you talkin about the belt, right?

If the belt is squeaking.. have the tensioner adjusted or you may need a new belt.

If it's the belt... that's not the fault of the company who build the alt..

Well the first time i heard the squeak i had it up there and they told me it was the belt so i bought a new one. Then again it happened and i went back and they said that the belt was of low quality. So i bought the belt that they recommended to use with the alternator and it still did the same thing. So i went out and bought a new tensioner, thinking that maybe the problem, still squeaked. They placed a new pulley on the alternator and it helped for anout a month, then it started squeaking again. So in total, I changed the belt twice and changed the pulley with no results. Any opinion on what to do? Thanks.

Edited by wof131s

may be the belt type you are using. Do you have a performance shop around you?

I would talk to them about it and make them buy a new belt and warranty their service so if it happens again... they must diagnose it.

Belt squeak can be caused by improper alignment, poor quality belt, belt too loose or too tight i think, wet, etc...

When the belt squeaks, take the belt off and examine it or better yet, let someone who is qualified to examine it and see what they say.

when my alt makes noise like that its the bearings.... and it happens one or twice a year depending on how much i drive....

in mycase its caused from heat... my alt pretty much stays on for the most part.. and heats the grease and makes it noisey.

so it does happen.

well you sure the belt size you have is the right size?

when i upgraded my trucks alternator to a high powr alt i had to buy a longer belt at frst for the belt to fit, then when i swapped out the alts pulley to a overdrive pulley i had to buy another belt that was slightly shorter. or it would skwal like nobodies buiseness!

so just be sure your belt has the right tension on it...

but id agree 99% of the time the alternators bearings dont go bad. typically its another pulley that bearing is going bad... like the tensioner pulley or even a guide pulley.

simple way to test if its the alt or not simply pull it off and have it bench tested. if it makes the noise on there bench machine then you know its the alt...

otherwise pull the belt off and spin every pulley and find the one that does not spin as freely or makes any noise and replace it.