CrazyKenKid

SPL tuning

Hey guys i am looking for a tuning frequency for 2-15inch NS to use for SPL. My box will have interchangeable ports one for daily and one for an SPL show. my daily will be 34hz and for spl... i don't know what to use 40? 30? any recommendations on this would be awesome!

i am using 2-6inch aero ports btw! in a 6cubic box powered by 2-saz2000 strapped

and yes this is my new build starting around April if not much sooner!!!!

thanks for your time and recommendations!

Kenneth

uh, the normal tunning is much higher for spl, it is not uncoomon to see 60 to 70 hz.

perhaps by useing the search engine some, you can find some good reading on how to determine the frequency of your vehicle....

if someone was to attempt to help you in your goals, i beleive they will need more info from you.

alot of testing will have to be done to zero you in on what works best .....

there is quite a bit to be discussed on what is your vehicle? what power do you have behind those SAZ-2000D's ?

what are your spl goals? how much deadening have you done?

your exact enclosure details and how it is situated in your vehicle will be important also.

be prepared to answer 10 times the questions you ask.....it is sorta a science you know!?

good luck :fing34:

What vehicle?

still wanting to your build pics or install, any vids?

sorry for the jacking.... :coolugh:

sorry guys here is the missing info

car: 95 grand am

electrical big 3, 2-d2700

subs are d2 so the wiring will be at 2ohm

spl goal is 149-151 db!! (hopefully)

deadening so far is jsut the front doors later on when i start my build i will deaden my trunk nearly completely

here is what my box is

Untitled-6.jpg

here is the cut list for my box

Top - 36*30

Bottom - 10*29.25

Passenger Side - 16.5*30

Driver Side - 17.250*30

Front - 18*36

Back - 17.25*34.5

Step - 4*29.25

Sub Mount board - 26*29.250

Second Port - 10*17.25

First Port - 10*17.25

all out of 3/4 mdf and there will be supports in there jsut not shown in the pic

i also have a 200amp alt.

Your vehicle's resonant frequency will determine best spl tuning.

i thought you would say that. i guess i will have to play around with my ports then. lucky for me i am going to have an interchangeable port idea so this shouldn't be a big deal. but still a lot of work.

also those ports will FIRE directly into the cab and the LOAD area under the subs will fire into the cab as well

any more question please feel free to ask them also a recommend tuning range would be nice so i have something to shoot for!

Your resonant freq. is probably going to be around 44-48hz. With the design in your drawing, it will probably be tuned to low for a really good spl score. But would be great for music. To get a good spl tuning you would more than likely end up with a negative port length.

Your resonant freq. is probably going to be around 44-48hz. With the design in your drawing, it will probably be tuned to low for a really good spl score. But would be great for music. To get a good spl tuning you would more than likely end up with a negative port length.

negative port... so spl isn't for me then with this type of setup? and i should jsut stick to 45hz for my daily system? or did i just miss what you were saying?

nice enclosure design, have not seen to many like this, I know spl guys have their subs in and out alot, might be why i dont seee that alot.......

so this is somewhat a walled grand am then, right?

will the horizontal port, from the loading area, be restricted by the interior? i don't know too much on that.

do you have alot of shows around you? spl soundofffs.

are you wanting to compete full time?

that Gary F. is probably on the right track, perhaps this will be a really sweet groundpounder

nice enclosure design, have not seen to many like this, I know spl guys have their subs in and out alot, might be why i dont seee that alot.......

so this is somewhat a walled grand am then, right?

will the horizontal port, from the loading area, be restricted by the interior? i don't know too much on that.

do you have alot of shows around you? spl soundofffs.

are you wanting to compete full time?

that Gary F. is probably on the right track, perhaps this will be a really sweet groundpounder

The design is one of shizzzons so i can't take the credit! umm i wouldn't call this a walled b/c i don't have a huge port and cubics to play with.

the loading area port will not be restricted by anything as my seats full down so this setup is quite unique i would say.

in sarnia and windsor we don't have very many shows at all and the closes meter to me is about 3hour drive ish. and right now i don't want to compete full time as i am going to school and what not! and yes i also agree with gary

"Your resonant freq. is probably going to be around 44-48hz. With the design in your drawing, it will probably be tuned to low for a really good spl score. But would be great for music. To get a good spl tuning you would more than likely end up with a negative port length. "

This setup would do great as a daily/groundpounder. I personally wouldn't go through the hassle of interchangable ports. Build this box and tune it to 41.5 or 42.5hz and you will be happy. If you want you can build another box for just spl. And I know your going to ask why tune it to a half hertz. If you do I will tell you but......

This setup would do great as a daily/groundpounder. I personally wouldn't go through the hassle of interchangable ports. Build this box and tune it to 41.5 or 42.5hz and you will be happy. If you want you can build another box for just spl. And I know your going to ask why tune it to a half hertz. If you do I will tell you but......

Okay so I will just tune it to 41.5 Hz and I will not worry about spl! I guess! Thanks for your recommendation.

Also quick question how do you know my resonate frequency of my car? Just from what you have heard?

And yes why tune to half a hertz? And yes I plan on tuning to half a hertz so please do enlighten me as to how half a hertz will sound better/perform?

and thanks for your help

Kenneth

With this design it will play low freq well, no need to tune it to 25-30hz. If you tune it to low it will start to sound sluggish and un-natural. The half hertz, will help with coupling the harmonics of different freq. together. You could look at it like this, if you take a piano and take all the black keys off from it. Music has sharps and flats. If you find your peak freq. with a meter and it's 47hz, chances are it's 46.5hz or 47.5hz. Will you be able to hear the difference probably not but the meter will. As far as the spl goes, this box with the tuning I suggested will still do a decent number, and will be a very good musical enclosure. I have no idea of what kind of music you listen to, but this box should cover everything well. Hope this helps