ANT LAY

Ext. cab Ranger vs. Suv

right now i have a 12" btl powered by audioque 2200d in a ext cab ranger but im looking to get a new vehicle ( murano probably) how will it sound, i know it will depend on box size and all but as far as vehicle specific what will be the ups or downs to the suv, ive never had a system in a suv so im just looking for some input. Thanks

Cabin gain will be different. As for positives, you will have more room in theory for a larger enclosure.

SUV's and hatchbacks have a LOT of cabin gain and that'll add to SQ. I'd give a BTL no less than 2.25 cubes (give'r 2.5). I heard ports should be a 1:2 ratio, like 4 x 8, just so the air isn't totally running along the box walls. You'll want 14-16 square inches of port per cube of airspace, so 2.5 cubes with 40 square inches (16 per) or 2.25 cubes with 31.5 (14 per). With 2 cubes the lowest port area you want is 28 square inches, the max is 32.

SUV's and hatchbacks have a LOT of cabin gain and that'll add to SQ.

Did you meant to say SPL?

so as far as the ranger how will it be loudest windows up, down doors open, closed? im getting ready to build a bigger box that would help alot its gonna be around 2.82 cu ft. so should be nice

so as far as the ranger how will it be loudest windows up, down doors open, closed? im getting ready to build a bigger box that would help alot its gonna be around 2.82 cu ft. so should be nice

Won't know until to test with your specific install and equipment.

any vehicle will be louder with something open, as opposed to closed, save maybe those extreme vehicles designed from the onset as strictly spl machines. which door/window or combo of is louder will be determined by box placement/port placement and testing. typically, and this isn't no concrete rule, but the door/ window opposite of the port when opened will increase score. also, play with mic placement. if you can open a door, sometimes you can place the mic on a floorboard.

one of the oldest tricks in a legal setup, ie db drag, is to figure out how to have something look sealed up when in fact it's "open". a "leaky" sunroof for example....lol...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: