sundownz

Nightshades No More !

well recones still be available for the NS v.1?

Yep. Even if we run out TeamPSI is always there :)

Nightshade v.2 = 2000-watt RMS model

* ETA is mid 2010 (maybe sooner)

is that the refered to as the monster?

Not exactly... but it is based on alot of what I learned from that prototype.

but the present nightshade are no longer ordered?

or are still available?

We are sold out of new motors -- so no longer available.

Will the Z15 v.2 be able to handle around 3k daily? I think I just found my new sub if I don't then I will be going with the Nightshade v.1.

Let me break this down -- it probably will take a 3k amp just fine when wired at rated impedance, but you won't need to.

I AM using a coil with almost half the mass of the Nightshade v.1 model so there is less thermal dissipating mass (although, cooling is better on Z v.2)... but this is the thing -- the Z v.2 production model should be about 1 dB more efficient at equal power compared to the v.1 Nightshade. So... if you needed 3000 watts to do X amount of SPL on the v.1 Nightshade then you will need only 2250 or less for the same output on the Z v.2 (likely less as gaining 1 dB at that point takes more than the 33% needed in theory).

So... the top priority in designing the Z v.2 is more SPL per watt, not necessarily to soak up alot of power for no reason :)

If you want to dump a bunch of power on something daily then the Nightshade v.2 is probably more for you as it is getting a very large voice coil with substantially more mass.

or are still available?

I did not understand. if I want to order them, are no longer available?

until mid-2010 there will be only the Z15 v2 and SA series??

or are still available?

I did not understand. if I want to order them, are no longer available?

until mid-2010 there will be only the Z15 v2 and SA series??

You are correct. Nightshade v.1 is no longer available.

then until mid 2010, we must be "content" just the new Z15 series ... and the SA series? :(

date of presentation of the model SA-15?

they will be missed!

but replaced with better.

i wish icould get a pair

then until mid 2010, we must be "content" just the new Z15 series ... and the SA series? :(

Z v.2 will be available in 12, 15, and 18 sizes.

I may also offer 10" size.

How about recones for v.1?

How about recones for v.1?

they can still be done through sundown till further notice (not that the plan is to stop )

so is the Z V2 Brandon proof? :lol:

Nothing is *laughs*

He will be running three of the four existing "Monster" prototypes... closest thing to Brandon proof we have found.

why do you think im the QC guy you have to know what it takes to kill it so we can learn from it and call BS on the ones that try to BS us ..... " i swear i only had a 125.2 @ 4 OHMS on that NS 56mm coil 5 spider i dont know why the coil is a slinky and black " LOL

woo hoo thread jack time!!! LOL i have some stuff to sell too hit me up if you want it :P

Z v.2 motor production scheduled to finish up on Monday... so I may have them a little sooner than expected !

I will be doing direct SPL to watt comparisons of the Z v.2 to a typical "stock" Nightshade shipped to a customer once production models are in.

I was previously using a Nightshade with a slightly softer suspension and lighter cone that gained me several tenths over stock for SPL competition (I offered these things to anyone that asked, FYI).

The prototype Z v.2 has already matched the output of my "modified" Nightshade... and production Z v.2 should gain a good bit from the prototype :)

nice hopefuly Ive got the funds to buy 4 of the 15s guess we will find out what the finished price is

j u said the NSv2 will have a bigger coil and more mass and will soak up power, but will it actually do somethin wit that power like the Zv2? i sure it will just wanna b sure and for u to go further into details on the NSv2 and the Zv2. the Zv2 will b that of the NSv1 and much better and the NSv2 will just b sik basically? lol

cant wait.

I will refrain from comparing NS v.2 to Z v.2 until I have testing in hand.

I can say that the "stock" suspension configuration on the NS v.2 will be substantially stiffer than the Z v.2 -- but that can be changed as these are built to order if the customer does not want it so stiff.

Here is just a little bit of data from testing the initial Z 15" v.2 prototype motor (which lacks several improvements of the production model):

148.4 -- 1250 watts

150.1 -- 2020 watts

150.8 -- 2530 watts

152.5 -- 3980 watts

153.1 -- 5350 watts

153.2 -- 5570 watts

This prototype has a gap that is a full 1.6mm wider than production... this means this motor is "weaker" than what production will be.

The above earlier testing was done with a prototype Z v.2 motor with 2 Hard / 1 Soft of our current Nightshade spiders.

---

New testing done with two of the "new" spiders w/ double tinsel leads (much softer) also on prototype motor -- pending a bit more testing this will most likely be the "standard" suspension on production models :

Same box... "magic box" in the Jeep.

HU Setting / Power / SPL

-6 / 540 watts / 146.0 dB

-5 / 680 watts / 146.9 dB

-4 / 860 watts / 147.7 dB

-3 / 1090 watts / 148.6 dB

-2 / 1380 watts / 149.5 dB

-1 / 1730 watts / 150.3 dB

0 / 2230 watts / 151.2 dB

+1 / 2780 watts / 151.9 dB

+2 / 3480 watts / 152.8 dB

+3 / 4800 watts / 153.5 dB

Notice that large gain in SPL per watt... also, notice that with "rated power" I am right around 150 dB :)

I am still waiting on production coil samples... I will do another round of testing of SPL per watt at that time.

I also expect gains on production motors vs. prototype as stated before -- as the production has a tighter gap (more BL).

Here is just a little bit of data from testing the initial Z 15" v.2 prototype motor (which lacks several improvements of the production model):

148.4 -- 1250 watts

150.1 -- 2020 watts

150.8 -- 2530 watts

152.5 -- 3980 watts

153.1 -- 5350 watts

153.2 -- 5570 watts

This prototype has a gap that is a full 1.6mm wider than production... this means this motor is "weaker" than what production will be.

The above earlier testing was done with a prototype Z v.2 motor with 2 Hard / 1 Soft of our current Nightshade spiders.

---

New testing done with two of the "new" spiders w/ double tinsel leads (much softer) also on prototype motor -- pending a bit more testing this will most likely be the "standard" suspension on production models :

Same box... "magic box" in the Jeep.

HU Setting / Power / SPL

-6 / 540 watts / 146.0 dB

-5 / 680 watts / 146.9 dB

-4 / 860 watts / 147.7 dB

-3 / 1090 watts / 148.6 dB

-2 / 1380 watts / 149.5 dB

-1 / 1730 watts / 150.3 dB

0 / 2230 watts / 151.2 dB

+1 / 2780 watts / 151.9 dB

+2 / 3480 watts / 152.8 dB

+3 / 4800 watts / 153.5 dB

Notice that large gain in SPL per watt... also, notice that with "rated power" I am right around 150 dB :)

I am still waiting on production coil samples... I will do another round of testing of SPL per watt at that time.

I also expect gains on production motors vs. prototype as stated before -- as the production has a tighter gap (more BL).

Can I get the cut sheet for that box? I think Id like one of those. fing05.gif

What's this magic box?