la2lvtom

looking for opinions on Q 18's

I'm toying with the idea of switching my low end to 2 18" Q's in a ported enclosure powered by 2 Kicker XS100's putting out 1300 watts RMS @1ohm (my current low end is 16 rockford P1 10's in a sealed enclosure) My goal is to play/demo loud and clean but still hit the same #'s I am currently doing (151 burp, 150.5 Street Beat) does this seem do-able with these subs? I've always been a sealed box person but there are so many 2 sub ported systems keeping up with me that I think I need an edge out there in the lanes.

I think its highly dependent on installation. Too many variables.

Edited by bigrank916

Burping Q's is not really using the right sub for the application.

If that is your goal you need to go with the bl or the btl.

I just figured the Q has more cone movement than the BL so it would get more output and I know I do not have enough power for the BTL and too much power for a SSD. So I should be researching the BL if I want to do this although I do prefer Street Beat and demoing the car at shows but with the amps I have I get to stay in Mod 0-1000 without pulling amps at finals, I know its all give and take

the BTL's are the loudest woofers Fi builds, regardless of power. on 1 watt, as tested, the BTL will be louder, same as it will be on 500 watts, or 1000, or w/e. cone movement is not everything. the Xmax is only one factor to help figure out how loud a woofer can play, or what it can play, but really shouldn't be used in a str8 comparison. if in the case every parameter of two said woofers were the same, except for xmax, then I would say the woofer with the larger xmax would be louder, but those conditions won't happen, and don't exist.

I think you would enjoy the Xmax vs SPL article.

There it is.

personally i dont think the q will get as loud as the bl because the q is made for more sq type setups rather than spl. but in the righ enclosure either will be loud enough to compete with

personally i dont think the q will get as loud as the bl because the q is made for more sq type setups rather than spl. but in the righ enclosure either will be loud enough to compete with

Your conclusion is right, but reasoning is wrong.

Again the BTL will be the loudest regardless of what power you put on it.

I think you really just need to figure out what you want your system to be most geared toward. the more musical, the less less numbers you will put up, simple as that. BTL is the loudest, then the BL, and finally the Q. of course all three have capabilities of putting up good numbers. alright?

Good article it explained alot, I personally feel I fall into the catagory of playing music loud, i mean why build a system to burp high numbers on a meter that I see maybe 5 times a year. After reading the article the Xmax is not as important as getting a proper enclosure built so I think 2 BL 18's in a proper ported enclosure might be the way to go so it will play music clean and loud (to the ear of course), that is the problem I have now my 16 10's are brutal when listening to music but on the meter I'm only doing a 151 then of course you get to hear all the smart arses saying "oh that many subs it should be louder" and you can't tell them its with using $50 subs on "100" watt amps in a sealed enclosure.

Thats why 1 sub setups are so nice.

"You have all that comin from one sub...damn!"

Yup.

Thats why 1 sub setups are so nice.

"You have all that comin from one sub...damn!"

Yup.

lol yup...I miss those reactions with my single 15" Q...of course the reactions with two 15's was fun too...gee what's going to happen with double the power on 4 12's? tbc...

OP: I like your decision of the BL's you should love them! seems like so many people go the Q route or skip the BL and go str8 to the BTL when the BL is such a great sub!

speaking of bl 18s any body got one they want to sell? got $250 and need to get one before the end of the month, i want to run 2 18s at a local comp on december 6th so time is limited...

speaking of bl 18s any body got one they want to sell? got $250 and need to get one before the end of the month, i want to run 2 18s at a local comp on december 6th so time is limited...

You should put this post in the for sale/wanted section. It will get more eyes there I bet.

You should put this post in the for sale/wanted section. It will get more eyes there I bet.

ya i did before on here and on **** and nothing lol

umm, you can't. 19 posts will not let you into the classifieds so I don't think you posted it here...

I think I know what show you are talking about on Dec. 6th as that's the same one I am getting mine together for...in Seffner

Edited by mjmarovi

I think I know what show you are talking about on Dec. 6th as that's the same one I am getting mine together for...in Seffner

actually the one im going to is in springfield mo at a pawn shop, usually its just me my freinds and about 8 other people lol

Yeah, I also got great reactions from my single Q 18 on a NINe.1. Can't remember the box, think 8^3 tuned to 30Hz, was real happy with it's response especially considering the size.