Lucky 76

Hybrid Car Charging System with Audio Setup

I have not put to much though into this but I was just wondering if this would be a great charging system for car audio.

The way a hybrid vehicle works is it runs off battery power at low speeds and at idle. The only way gas is used is when the voltage drops past a certain level to charge the batteries. This would be ideal for competition use as the charging system is geared toward the idle to low rpm range. There are multiple batteries in a hybrid setup and I am sure that the charging system would have to be pretty beefed up to charge a hybrid vehicle. A regulator could be used to change the voltage at which the charging system kicks in.

If you were to have a high powered setup for competition use, would a hybrid vehicle be a good choice or only to a certain extent?

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the hybrid tahoe has a ~250 lb battery under the second row seats. I don't know about the sepcs of the batt, but I'm sure it would be a great power source for many high power amps. I'd much rather spend ~3,000 for a triple alt setup and a bank of batts instead of 50k+ for a hybrid hoe though.

:)

NOT worth the time or money and they run on higher voltages.

i can't remember but do they run on 48v?

Also, do all hybrid cars run on the same electrical system volt-wise?

Curious as to what will happen eventually when the majority of vehicles are hybrid\all electric...

I believe the hybrid tohoe actually gets alot of its charge from the wheel. the wheels and brake system have a "generator" on them and they charge the batteries also when you are driving. pretty interesting

It always seemed to me that a hybrid car would be bad for a competition since the engine doesn't turn over at all in park. Seems like it would be a major strain on the charging system to compete like that.

Edited by Christian McKay

You'll void your warranty, and on a vehicle that's never a good idea.

i can't remember but do they run on 48v?

Also, do all hybrid cars run on the same electrical system volt-wise?

Curious as to what will happen eventually when the majority of vehicles are hybrid\all electric...

I'm pretty sure that most are 24v. The Prius uses regenerative braking, I'm pretty sure, somehow gaining power from the brakes.

You'll void your warranty, and on a vehicle that's never a good idea.

I'm sure if the dealer wanted to be a dick, they could void your warranty for using an amplifier. As per the Magnesem-Moss act they can only void the warranty on parts that have been modified or that are directly effected by parts that have been modified. I'm sure they would try to say that by using an amplifier you are effecting the charging system though.