I know Lanzar is nothing close to sundown audio..... and I would definitely love to buy a 100.4 to add to my small collection, but this is going into an old mud riding truck.... and will likely be in less than optimal environments.

Basically.... don't want to spend a ton of money to see my sundown amp go up in smoke.

I've only seen 1 lanzar amp in person, powering 2 kicker comps. It ran them fairly well and therefore I'm considering this http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208112791&listingid=24319010.

Please confirm my suspicions by telling me that they are definitely over rated and that it will at least put out 100 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms. I will have to purchase an EQ as well since this will be an active setup.

I think lanzar is flea market crap. Dont do it. Instead try to figure out a design so that the amp will be protected instead of thinking there is nothing you can do. Whatever you do, stay away from lanzar. At least the last 10 years worth.

4 x 250W RMS (15Hz to 35kHz) @ 4Ohm 0.04% THD

4 x 450W RMS (15Hz to 35kHz) @ 2Ohm 0.04% THD

very nice output! loL! i wonder how much it can acttually output though

Even if it does put out the 100 watts you want, the sound clarity of the sundown will blow that lanzar out of the water.

I know you get what you buy...... I love sundown so much I'm just torn in two on which way to go. This kind of build is far different than what I'm used to. I already made the mistake of spending a good sum of money for quality midbass drivers and horns. Hopefully they will last a while :shrug:

I know a kid that used to run a W7 off a lanzar vibe 1200D (from reading though it was one of their good amps) and he never had any problems with it. Ive owned cheap crap like legacy "1600" watt amps, and while they dont compare to the big name, high quality amps, I never had one of them fry on me or anything. but for 160 bucks and only looking for 100 watts/channel you should be able to get much better. I got my refurbished infinty 4x75 amp for 77 bucks shipped.

I know a kid that used to run a W7 off a lanzar vibe 1200D (from reading though it was one of their good amps) and he never had any problems with it. Ive owned cheap crap like legacy "1600" watt amps, and while they dont compare to the big name, high quality amps, I never had one of them fry on me or anything. but for 160 bucks and only looking for 100 watts/channel you should be able to get much better. I got my refurbished infinty 4x75 amp for 77 bucks shipped.

Please elaborate / provide suggestions. :)

If I don't go the sundown route, I'd like to stay under 100 bucks for at least 100 watts rms @ 4 ohms. Since the crossover will cost ~75.

Edited by holley2346

If thats all you are willing to spend, be ready for disappointment.

And which one is it? The crossover or equalizer? You have mentioned both now.

If I don't go with Sundown I already am sure of the crossover choice. I'm just asking for cheap amp recommendations.

I have a Profile California AP 1200, 2 channel amp (300 x 2 @ 2ohms and 200 x 2 @ 4ohms) on sale for 45 + shipping.

If the Lanzar does the job for you with in your budget and serves it's purpose for the particular install, go for it. I like that the model you are looking at has top mount controls. Why must it be 100 watts per channel? Could you consider a lower power amplifier if it is of a high reputation brand to ease some of your anxiety about Lanzar? (Lanzar has not always been this way ;) ) Also consider checking the classifieds here for options.

Not to be self promoting, but you can get the Sundown SAX-50.4 from the SSA Store for blow out pricing at $200, if you can do with a little less power, but a great crossover network.

This Eclipse is a good deal. Along with this Cadence, this Diamond, or this JL, or this Memphis, or this Audison. They are all under $250 and are from brands of good reputation, even though they give up a few watts to your desire.

There are more options on ebay, and I am pondering selling my Orion 800.4.

my two cents.

Lanzar is flea market brand. there is a reason they are sold so cheaply at flea markets. its because they are made cheaply. you get what you pay for.

I would say go the route I believe denim is saying to go and get yourself a nice 4-channel amp that has a nice built-in crossover network to run its own active system. the 50.4 won't work from sundown, only 12 db slopes, but maybe find a used 100.4d, I know someone was selling a few on the hybrid-audio forum http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/phpBB3/

much better route IMO

Yeah I've already purchased one of those $200 sax 50.4's and I love it..... they seem highly under rated. The reason I'm going for high wattage is that I'd like some headroom, I'd also like to give these selenium drivers a good work out. :) I purchased 4 just to play with since I have no experience with them and they have such great reviews. Hopefully a few more will be added to this build. :) I figured I'd fill the doors up since I have to build fiberglass door panels anyway.

They'll arrive next week, and I will hook them up to my 50.4 to see if that would be sufficient or not.

Look at some Lanzar opti amps on ebay. Zed made those Lanzar opti amps up until the late 90's i believe. Those are high quality amps. Very good sound. The newer Lanzar amps are no good imo.

There are a few sweet Opti's in the Classifieds here on SSA.