Sign in to follow this  
nallav

Hi

Just recently got back from Afghanistan (I'm in the Army) and decided to do a new build in my 99 Tahoe with some of the money I saved up. Pretty sure I'll be able to learn a few good things from here. I'm not new at all to car audio, just new to Fi :)

Glad you could join us, cant wait for build log to begin and good luck with install.

Welcome

I am sure that you will enjoy this place.

Great online forum here, lots of knowledge and not so much attitude clap.gif

When you get around to that build make sure you post up some pictures

Uh oh...I smell a 4 18" BTL Tahoe build.lol. Welcome and trick or treat dude.

Edited by bigrank916

The build is actually going to take quite awhile to get it completely finished, but the speakers and amps are in now. Boston SL60 components in the doors driven by a Soundstream TRX4.640 amp, an AudioQue AQ2200 powering a pair of 12" Fi Qs. I made up a test/tuning cd and in 1.2 cu ft sealed chambers those subs played the 20Hz tone fine. Or at least it sounded fine to me, I don't go around listening to 20Hz music every day to have much to compare it to ;) That's the lowest tone I made though, I was simply curious if they would do it. Having a bit of an issue with the bass though. It's not loud at all, and the subs will barely even play without the gain and boost all the way up on the amp and all the levels up on the HU, and they aren't much louder even then. Been trying to troubleshoot it, but I've looked at everything I know, more things I don't know, and I can't figure it out. I'll make a new thread about it in due time.

I don't need insanely massive bass. I need good sound all around that will play as loud as I want.

(Slowly) building a computer and touchscreen setup to go in the truck, but it'll be awhile before that's ready.

Edited by nallav

A 20 hz tone shouldnt be that loud. That is a really low frequency that you will more likely feel. And see tearing sound waves through your ride!

I wouldnt be using that bass boost on the amp too much there either.

Another thing. You bought Q's and put them in a small sealed box but want them loud. You need to ask yourself if you want output over sound quality. Port those Q's in a bigger box and they will get louder. Still going to sound great though also.

The 20Hz was just to see if they would do it. Didn't play them loud then at all, and only for about 10 seconds.

I know the box isn't going to be massively loud. But I'm pretty sure I should at least be able to hear the subs without the gain and all the levels turned up to max. As it is now, that's not the case. There's something wrong here that I'm missing.

How is your electrical? What kind of vehicle? How are the subs wires? A little more info?

How is your electrical? What kind of vehicle? How are the subs wires? A little more info?

What do you mean by how is the electrical? It's a 99 Tahoe as already stated. The subs are wired the same as the image here http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg except it's 1 ohm coils instead of 2.

By the way, I've created a new thread in a proper forum here

:WELCOME:

Welcome! Lots of knowledgable and good people here to help with everything car audio!

What do you mean by how is the electrical? It's a 99 Tahoe as already stated. The subs are wired the same as the image here http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg except it's 1 ohm coils instead of 2.

By electrical we mean did you do the Big 3, what batteries do you have, is it stock alternator or ho alternator (anything electrical that you updated to help your system out is what he is referring to).