60ndown

rl-p w6?

after talking to a guy on an audio web site i am about ready to buy a rl-p 12,just wanted some basic comparisons between it and a w6? obviously the ss is half the price! anyone familiar with both drivers and able to say what the main differences are?

I know the new W6 is a very capable SQ driver, I am not sure if there has been a direct head to head comparison yet, because there are very few RL-ps compared to the W6 in production

but the quality of the RL-p is TOP NOTCH, and the customer service is some of the best in the industry, I choose the RL-p due to the very high reviews and how much woofer you get for the money,

I am biased sorry, but it is hard to choose the W6 for the price and performance of the RL-p

:gift:

Well I am at the other end I have owned a 12w6v2 but not a SS sub. The 12w6v2 is a great sub good SQ and plenty loud with 500watts.

I wanted to get a RL-P12 but I am looking at a 10W7, if I could find someone to buy a RL-p with me I might go with that, unfortunately I missed the group buy by like 2 days!!

Later

:nightrider:

the rl-p is more then up to the task of running with a w6. and i'm not dogging the w6, it's a great sub..but i think the rl-p is just a bit better...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The closest I can get to this comparison is an Audiomobile EVO-R and a 12w6v2 out of those two driver I would take the Audiomobile or most any TC driver of similar design and output. Anyways reasons for this choice are based on power each driver can take and the ablity to get really low with great output. Along with the fact that you will have a great jump in linear travel with the SS driver. Also tonality atleast to me is alot more pure from the TC product atleast to me all the jl's have pretty much sounded the same ot me over the years and have a some what destinctive sound to me. I have used their w1,w3,w4, and the w6v2, I have also ran Audiomobile evo-r both 15&12 along with 10 evo's, I also have a few onther tc products but no real listening time. So based in general on tc's product and their build quality I would choice the SS, by the way also think about recone price JL is pretty nuts as far as that goes.

By the way not saying the jl's are bad in any way they get the job done and will take alot of power I have had everything from a ppi pro mos 25 to a SS tarantula and Tru SH-1 power them and they took the abuse very well Although I did start to seperate the joint at the based of the W cone hmm mmats d200hc with three six mafia after over a year of abuse in 90 degree weather in the 140 db range will do that to ya :)

You know, I feel the same. Every JL I've had has sounded the same with the exception that some would get louder than others for certain circumstances of course. The W1s and W0s all sounded exactly like a W6 to me with the exception of lower power handling.

The closest I can get to this comparison is an Audiomobile EVO-R and a 12w6v2 out of those two driver I would take the Audiomobile or most any TC driver of similar design and output. Anyways reasons for this choice are based on power each driver can take and the ablity to get really low with great output. Along with the fact that you will have a great jump in linear travel with the SS driver. Also tonality atleast to me is alot more pure from the TC product atleast to me all the jl's have pretty much sounded the same ot me over the years and have a some what destinctive sound to me. I have used their w1,w3,w4, and the w6v2, I have also ran Audiomobile evo-r both 15&12 along with 10 evo's, I also have a few onther tc products but no real listening time. So based in general on tc's product and their build quality I would choice the SS, by the way also think about recone price JL is pretty nuts as far as that goes.

By the way not saying the jl's are bad in any way they get the job done and will take alot of power I have had everything from a ppi pro mos 25 to a SS tarantula and Tru SH-1 power them and they took the abuse very well Although I did start to seperate the joint at the based of the W cone hmm mmats d200hc with three six mafia after over a year of abuse in 90 degree weather in the 140 db range will do that to ya :)

does the longer x max(linear travel) translate directly into more spl or better sq or both? leaning even more heavily towards the purchase after reading these posts.(drool) bout $250 for the 12? how long will it be befoe i can get mine deliverd?

yeah, the more xmax translates into more output potential and the more linear it is the less likely it is to distort.

www.soundsplinter.com for rl-p prices

mike@soundsplinter.com for delivery questions....though he's on vacation for the rest of the week, i'd imagine he'd still have u an answer no later then monday...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

yeah, the more xmax translates into more output potential and the more linear it is the less likely it is to distort.

mike@soundsplinter.com for delivery questions....though he's on vacation for the rest of the week, i'd imagine he'd still have u an answer no later then monday...

in that pic on your posts,whats the bottom sub? looks like a table lamp with a bastard magnet? also aftr reading a post that said the rl-p 12 takes 1200 watts in a sealed enclosure im kinda scared that my puny 600 wrms (phoenix gold xennon) is not going to impress a rl-p? you think it will just jump out of the car and go find someone with a big amp or will it tolerate my puny 600?

Xmax wise yes the posts above are correct you will have cleaner output and the ablity to play low freqs as these type of freq require more excursion. As far as power is concerned its not going to really matter remeber double power only equals a 3 db gain in a perfect world :) Anyways it should get fairly loud off that power you could also make a little larger sealed box and pick up some efficiency. Again I prefer TC product over almost every single driver except for my ppi pros which are on par sq wise but not out put wise. Anyways there you go buy the SS :D

in that pic on your posts,whats the bottom sub? looks like a table lamp with a bastard magnet? also aftr reading a post that said the rl-p 12 takes 1200 watts in a sealed enclosure im kinda scared that my puny 600 wrms (phoenix gold xennon) is not going to impress a rl-p? you think it will just jump out of the car and go find someone with a big amp or will it tolerate my puny 600?

i can answer that!!

its an rli-8 also sold by sound splinter, this thing is a beast and I will soon prove that in person!

tom is correct..that's SS's rl-i8 (the very first one sold to the public) holding up a funky pup8..

and 600wrms is plenty on an rl-p...plenty. u'll love it with that power!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I agree with everyone, they aren't blowing smoke. I've owned JL products (the old W6 and the newer V2) and I like the SS way more. Louder, clearer, and when you look at the construction it makes JL look more like fosgate. The only sub that I have heard/owned that has the SQ over a Rlp (and yes I own an rlp) is a A/D/S/ 3 series, they are not nearly as loud but they sound sweet.

For 250 new there is no better sub.

I've heard a few W7's and I don't really see whats the big deal!

I've owned (PPI flats, Rockford hx2, Jl W6old W6new, A/D/S/, Infinity Kappa, Adire shiva, and a couple others not worth mentioning.

later,

b

you won't have any trouble with 600 watts, sealed or ported

came from the not-so-local dealer today. heard some jl 10w3v2's. it sounded like a tweeter compared to my rl-p lol