Sign in to follow this  
dueces11

Amp stopped working..

Its a 2000 watt volfenhag amp. not sure of the exact model.

i had it wired at 1 ohm, and from what i have read online the lowest it should be wired is 2 ohm.

It started cutting off after 10 mins, then 5, then 2, then it stopped working.

I took the cover off, to look for burnt pieces, but i found nothing. it all looked fine.

now, what could cause this? can it be fixed cheaply? if not, could i repair a memphis pr 600 using this amps parts?

im uploading pics now and yes, i know this is a POS amp, but currently im saving up to buy a fi btl then a sundown amp.

ok, photobucket is being gay so ill get pics tomorrow.

Edited by dueces11

Its a 2000 watt volfenhag amp. not sure of the exact model.

i had it wired at 1 ohm, and from what i have read online the lowest it should be wired is 2 ohm.

It started cutting off after 10 mins, then 5, then 2, then it stopped working.

I took the cover off, to look for burnt pieces, but i found nothing. it all looked fine.

now, what could cause this? can it be fixed cheaply? if not, could i repair a memphis pr 600 using this amps parts?

im uploading pics now and yes, i know this is a POS amp, but currently im saving up to buy a fi btl then a sundown amp.

ok, photobucket is being gay so ill get pics tomorrow.

Yeah wiring below its ohm load stability will do that, not saying you have the proper skills to fix the amp the right way but I wouldnt try it. Plus after watching how db-r.com they do it, you should replace all parts and not just certain ones or it will probably lead to failure over time again. Just my .02, but I would just get rid of amps since the cost to probably fix both isnt worth it and can be saved to use towards new equipment.

x2 to above post

If it can be fixed cheaply depends on how much they'll charge you to send it in and get it refurbished. Chances are you may as well just buy a new one, only this time something better quality and that can handle the 1 ohm load you want to throw at it. Undoubtedly caused by too low of an impedance and a crappy amp that has even crappier overload protection circuitry.

so today i decided to take out my sub box since its doing nothing for me.

And when doing this i had saw that the speaker wire had melted.

It melted in the spot where i had taped the wire that came from the subs to the wire that goes to the amp.

11111412.jpg

Duct tape fail.

but quick question-

since the + and - wires proablly touched, causing the amp to burn out. will the subs be burnt too?

They may have or probably not, the bes t way to see is get a DMM and test each coil to see what they are reading. Yeah dont use duct tape, thats why they came out with electrical tape (the same reason you dont use regular glud on wood, they came out with wood glue).

Did you not use butt connectors to connect the wires together?

Haha naw just some duct tape. I actually seen a radio that I had to redo, wires were taped together just like that with duct tape (horrible, the duct tape ruins the wire-copper or aluminum whatever is inside the jacket). :suicide-santa:

naw, i was eager to hook it up since it took me over 3 weeks to build the box due to florida rain and my work and school schedule.

i meant to sauter them together, but i never bought more heat shrink tubing..

idc about the amp anymore. it was a piece and now i have the most awesome end table ever made. A sub box!!

naw, i was eager to hook it up since it took me over 3 weeks to build the box due to florida rain and my work and school schedule.

i meant to sauter them together, but i never bought more heat shrink tubing..

idc about the amp anymore. it was a piece and now i have the most awesome end table ever made. A sub box!!

One thing you will learn in life is that when you shortcut things, later on that shortcut will come to bite you in the ass especially when it comes to electrical work of any kind. Be smart and do things how they are supposed to be done and do it the right way no matter how much time you have on your hands (its the only way).

As always in life like Jay said, shortcuts end in short commings.

Might as well buy a new amplifier.