Spencerk

LOOK OUT DONT BUY THIS!!! BUYER BEWARE

Ok, so I bought a HO alt for my taurus 2 weeks ago from a place called Quality Power Auto. The alt I bought was a 200 amp max and 125 amp at idle I paid just shy of 300 shipped to my house. I put the alt in the car today and well as the title would suggest I am VERY disappointed in the performance of this thing. First this thing has the voltage caped at 14.1 volt which is bull shit bc the stocker would do 14.4 solid in 90 degree heat in a traffic jam. At idle this alt would drop into the low 12's (like 12.1 to 12.0V) with nothing on but the head lights. It would not make all wopping 14.1 volts untill almost 3K rpm!!!!!! I tested this POS on only one of my nine.1s that has a max current draw of 130 amps and that amp with a full 30htz burp and the engine at 4k rmp dropped the voltage into the 10's !!!!!! Bottom line NEVER BUY FROM THIS COMPANY THEY ARE SAMMERS!!

that sucks, sorry to hear that.

have you contacted them about the the different issues yet?

well, i'm assuming you put the original back on and it's better, right?

You also might wanna look at the pulley that's on that new alt. If it can accept a smaller pulley.. then that's why it needs to be revved so high.

well, i'm assuming you put the original back on and it's better, right?

You also might wanna look at the pulley that's on that new alt. If it can accept a smaller pulley.. then that's why it needs to be revved so high.

Yep I put the stocker back on and everything is fine again. The pulley that is on the Ho alt is WAY smaller than stock, if this thing got much smaller it would be a 6 grove nub/shaft hanging off the end of this thing. I see that you have a mech man how did you get a hold of them they don't have a site anymore

ok I feel retarded now...I checked 2 weeks ago site must have been down for maintenance.....shizzon, are you happy with your mech man ???

Edited by 144dbFiBl15

yea, nothin wrong with it. It's a choice between mechman and dc power.

Whichever is cheaper is the way to go.

QPA is AWESOME! Call them up, they'll take care of it. I have used them hundreds of times. Every time I had a problem, it was remedied with a simple phone call. Shit slips through the cracks every now and then. Don't be so quick to judge.

Would you react like this if you bought a new BL and it didn't work? I think not.

QPA is AWESOME! Call them up, they'll take care of it. I have used them hundreds of times. Every time I had a problem, it was remedied with a simple phone call. Shit slips through the cracks every now and then. Don't be so quick to judge.

Would you react like this if you bought a new BL and it didn't work? I think not.

x2, OP did you even contact them to see what they said or did you just come on here to bash them without seeking customer service first? Hopefully it can be resolved and fixed, but keep us posted with everything that happens and not just what is wrong.

Yes I did contact them and bc I had to cut some plastic off the mounting bolt for the + terminal they are unwilling to deal with me now.... I had to cut a bit off to make a 0 guage wire terminal work....this so called HO unit would only accept A 6 GAGE TERMINAL!!!! When I first took the thing out of the box and saw that I thought to myself " I should return thins bc it wont do what I need" man I should have lessened to my instincts.

Yes I did contact them and bc I had to cut some plastic off the mounting bolt for the + terminal they are unwilling to deal with me now.... I had to cut a bit off to make a 0 guage wire terminal work....this so called HO unit would only accept A 6 GAGE TERMINAL!!!! When I first took the thing out of the box and saw that I thought to myself " I should return thins bc it wont do what I need" man I should have lessened to my instincts.

Now personally that is some bullshit to put a 6 gauge terminal post on the h/o alternator when people know good and well most wires for them will be 1/0 AWG or bigger. Thanks for the review so I know where not to get one, but sorry it had to be a problem though.

Technically, you voided the warranty. As for the terminal, they are all the same. You have to adjust your lug to fit the terminal. That's why they make terminals with different sized holes.

When you buy an amp that only accepts 8 gauge wire, but you're using 4 gauge, do you enlarge the terminal on the amp? No, you step the wire down.

Technically, you voided the warranty. As for the terminal, they are all the same. You have to adjust your lug to fit the terminal. That's why they make terminals with different sized holes.

When you buy an amp that only accepts 8 gauge wire, but you're using 4 gauge, do you enlarge the terminal on the amp? No, you step the wire down.

yeah I know im not haseling them about their service, I was just hoping for something that dint have a lil 1/4 -20 bolt sticking out the top. I would have liked to have seen hefty parts like, a 3/8 copper cooling plates, a HEAVY duty mounting location for those huge power wires we all use.

yeah I know im not haseling them about their service, I was just hoping for something that dint have a lil 1/4 -20 bolt sticking out the top. I would have liked to have seen hefty parts like, a 3/8 copper cooling plates, a HEAVY duty mounting location for those huge power wires we all use.

You won't find that on a $300 alt, and it's not necessary for a 200 amp unit. Hell, the stock Ford 200 amp unit used the same wiring the small amp alts used with no problems.

Being that the pulley is smaller, did you use a smaller belt or stick with the same belt?

No not the size of the bolt that you mount too (though is is way small) The stud that sticks out the top for the charging wire has two lil plastic tabs on either side of the stud they are about 3/8 of an inch apart so you can only fit small terminals on it the biggest I could fit was a 6 awg terminal.

No I dint have to use a new size belt but since I already had the belt off I just threw a new gatorback on. My belt tensioner has about 3 inches of travel to it, but I have had to buy new belts for for my cutlass supreem and one for my grand vitara. So I guess is depends on your aplication

No not the size of the bolt that you mount too (though is is way small) The stud that sticks out the top for the charging wire has two lil plastic tabs on either side of the stud they are about 3/8 of an inch apart so you can only fit small terminals on it the biggest I could fit was a 6 awg terminal.

No I dint have to use a new size belt but since I already had the belt off I just threw a new gatorback on. My belt tensioner has about 3 inches of travel to it, but I have had to buy new belts for for my cutlass supreem and one for my grand vitara. So I guess is depends on your aplication

I know how the terminal is. I used to build alternators and other parts of automotive electrical systems. Still, you could have trimmed the lug even further to fit the post.

You have to look at it from a manufacturer's perspective. You say you modified one thing, how are they to know you didn't do something else. They can no longer offere a warranty. They don't know what you really did, and they have had many fools before you who have claimed the same thing, only when they get the item back, it's destroyed beyond repair. I've dealt with this personally countless times. You can't make exceptions in business.

For future reference, if you ever have to modify something, modify the least expensive part. :drink40:

As for the belt, technically you could have belt slippage. Even though the tensioner is self-adjusting, they sometimes develop a "memory" and will not tension the belt any further. IT's just like a torque wrench. You have to zero it out after every use. Unless you pick up the slack somewhere else, like a larger idler pulley, I would still drop the belt size a little. Different types of pulleys also create belt slippage as well. Plastic and aluminum are notorious for this. For an idler, it's no big deal, but for a drive or driven pulley, it can mean the difference between charging or not, or having your vehicle remain cool or over heat.