the mange

Powering an amp with the alt using a cap to stiffen the voltage?

just got this idea sitting in econ today listening to my awful TA talk about derived demand for labor... I know normally the alt isn't used for transient loads, but would it be at all possible to hook up a power wire to the alt and send it straight to the amp, using a high capacity cap somewhere along the way to stiffen the voltage during amp draws? I was thinking that in this scenario, the cap would be acting just like a battery

Edited by the mange

your battery is still connected to the alt so your amp is still going to pull current from the battery too. Why do you want to do this? Don't get a cap.

your battery is still connected to the alt so your amp is still going to pull current from the battery too. Why do you want to do this? Don't get a cap.

I think he means have the alt power the amp directly w/out the battery. Surely not for practical use though?

is this idea intended to keep a constant aprox. 14.4 volts to the amp? i think if you did that with a amp decent enough to push anything at all you would fry your alts power reg./diode bridge. just run a second batt. and get a h/o alt. with an external adjustable voltage reg.

dont wire that amp stright to the alt......

and dont try to use a cap as a cell either cause thats not what it is.

just got this idea sitting in econ today listening to my awful TA talk about derived demand for labor... I know normally the alt isn't used for transient loads, but would it be at all possible to hook up a power wire to the alt and send it straight to the amp, using a high capacity cap somewhere along the way to stiffen the voltage during amp draws? I was thinking that in this scenario, the cap would be acting just like a battery

Trust me if it was a good idea buddy people would already be doing it especially if it would benefit.

Caps have nowhere near the storage capacity as a battery, even a 50 farad cap. Not a good idea at all.

if u want sustained voltage or as close to it as possible, get a Fluxcap by Harrison Labs. They are intended to pull a little current out of your electrical system to maintain a preset voltage output. It can do this as long as you don't continuously go over it's rated output. They make them in 50 or 100A outputs.