sqfreak1127

Best SQ Enclosure for my dual 1 ohm Q18

Alright guys, so i have a dual 1 ohm q18, and i need an enclosure, the specs on the website aren't specific enough, i want to know what size sealed enclosure, would be best for sound quality? I am getting my enclosure professionally done by my local car audio place, and he needs the specs that i want it at. also how do you wire the 1 ohm subwoofer, i'm new to this-lol so please get back to me on this asap. thanks

-aj

what amp do you have and what do you mean the specs are not specific enough? its a sealed box. Plus how much is the local place charging for a sealed box?

its a hifonics bxi1610d, it's 1600w x 1 ohm, and the guy is charging me 160, and what i meant by specific enough, is that you have to choose between 4-8 cubic feet,like i said i'm new to this.

from what i have heard is that the bigger the box, the lower the output frequency. if u just want it to sound good all around i would go right in the middle and make ur box 6 cubes. but if i were u i would put that sub in a ported box, i tried mine in a sealed and then in a ported and ported sounded soooo much better.

thanks brandon, do u think the guy would know what i meant if i told him to get it at 4.9 cubic ft tuned to 31 hz, like your setup?

well i dont have the q nemore but when i did i used a 6.3 cubic foot box tuned to 28 hz. and if they have ever built a box they should know. why dont u try building ur own box? its really not that hard if u have access to a power drill and a circular saw. i can show u how to get a basic design and it gives u the cut sheet and everything. that way u know that the box getting built is what u want.

You know that with a dual 1 ohm Q, you can only wire it to 2 ohms to that amp right?

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=12

Fi recommends 6 cubes as the lowest volume for a ported box. What is the volume of the space you have for the sub box? I would go largest you can go or largest you want to go and see if a ported box can fit there or not. If not then you have to go sealed.

ya i was gonna build my own box, but i don't have the tools for it, i live with my mom, and she has like none of the tools i need-haha, but i'll prob get the 6.3 cubic ft tuned to 28hz, how did it sound when u had it in that sized box?

damn, the hifonics amp, is 1100 w x 2 0hm, so the dual 1 ohm def can only be wired as as a 2 ohm? is that bad? or doesn't make too much of a difference? & does it matter if its a monoblock?

did you click on the link I posted? I think that link needs to be a sticky for all newbs.

But you can also wire it to .5 ohm but I wouldn't advise it. Its not bad to have to wire it at 2 ohms but you should have gotten dual 2 ohms instead to get your moneys worth on that amp. If you were planning on getting another 18" Q then dual 1s wired for two subs would be 1 ohm.

yea the 28 hz sounded great, but if ur wanting all around sound u should probably tune a little higher, it tore the hell out of the lows but it didnt hit the highs as well. i would probably tune it around 31 hz or so.

alright, i'm thinking a 6.3 cubic ft box tuned to 30hz, cause its a lil more than the recommended, and 2 hz less than the max.

right on bro should sound great. post pics of the build and make sure u tell the place that builds the box to do a double baffle. and if ur already paying for the box, have them put some 45s in the corners to help with air flow.

hehe, .3 cubes is nothing. I would do 7 at least if you have the room.

i want to know what size sealed enclosure, would be best for sound quality?

Best? I'd do around 10x VAS or ~2700L. Good luck fitting that in your car though. ;) Conveniently you can just mount it in an infinite baffle alignment though which will do what you ask. Going to have to be lighter on the gains though as it will reduce your power handling significantly.

Great side effect too as the "box" should be super cheap. Just a baffle and some deadening to seal off your trunk from the rest of the car.

i def have the room, so would u recommend me doing 7 cubes then?

2700L is 95cuft...and yes if you have the room it is what I'd recommend, considering I doubt you do perhaps sticking with an IB installation would be better

7 is a lot smaller than 95. As for too big you should be fine. Hard to mount things IB with a van unless you are willing to cut.

i had my first Q in 5.75 net sealed, and sounded very good. has a nice warm sound, also thick in the low 30s high 20s range. but thats how i like it

was it a q 18 tho earthman?

Yeah it is considering the 15" needs less than half that box.

was it a q 18 tho earthman?

yes it was