AZ TC

1x12'' SSA DCON ported box

So, I'm set out to make a ported box for one 12" SSA DCON. I looked at all the specs, and here is what I have come up with:

Width - 30 in.

Height - 14 in.

Top - 12 in.

Bottom - 16 in.

Wood - 0.75 in. thick

Square port width - 1.5 in.

Square port interior length - 9 in.

This puts my Interior volume at 2.311 ft^3, and the tuning frequency at 28.28 Hz. This is about the best I can do with dimensions that can be easily cut, and that will fit my Scion tC. Do you guys have any suggestions? This is my first box I will be building, and I know all about the supplies, I just need to learn more about the dimensions of box building, as well dealing with the ported volume. Here's a quick pick of the box that I calculated on RE audio's box builder:

Subbox.jpg

How did you come up with your port dimensions and box size? I get that the box is 2.58 cubes before any displacements. But only a 9" port is way too short to be tuned to 28 hz. A 1.5" wide x 12.5" tall port would have to be about 36" long to be tuned to 28 hz, and your net volume would drop to 1.8 cubes.

The only thing I dont like about the RE box builder is that it doesnt factor the sub displacement. That will change the tuning slightly but wonder how much exactly.

I'm afraid there is no way that a port only 9" long will tune that enclosure to 28 hz.

Then do you guys have any ideas for a good box builder?

I think your all right with what you came up with. The RE calc makes it an L-Shaped port and your 9" length is the L part of the port where it continues after the intial slot. I would recommend making your port wider, less chance for port noise.

His port length is actually 11.75 + 9 so its actually 20.75 inches which still seems a little short but after your sub displacement it will be closer to the 29 almost 30hz range if you go by the RE calculator.

So, I'm set out to make a ported box for one 12" SSA DCON. I looked at all the specs, and here is what I have come up with:

Width - 30 in.

Height - 14 in.

Top - 12 in.

Bottom - 16 in.

Wood - 0.75 in. thick

This puts my Interior volume at 2.311 ft^3, and the tuning frequency at 28.28 Hz. This is about the best I can do with dimensions that can be easily cut, and that will fit my Scion tC. Do you guys have any suggestions? This is my first box I will be building, and I know all about the supplies, I just need to learn more about the dimensions of box building, as well dealing with the ported volume. Here's a quick pick of the box that I calculated on RE audio's box builder:

Subbox.jpg

Do you need the two different size depths (top, bottom)? What type of music do you listen to mainly? What amp will you be using?

Width - 30 in.

Height - 14 in.

Top - 12 in.

Bottom - 16 in.

Wood - 0.75 in. thick

Subbox.jpg

Do you need the two different size depths (top, bottom)? What type of music do you listen to mainly? What amp will you be using?

I would prefer to keep the height down as much as possible. Drive a tC, and I want to be able to put the rear hatch cover down when necessary so nobody can see what I have back there. I guess I could also make an upward facing box as well so that I have more height to work with as well. I listen to a lot of rock, but I'll be bumping more hip hop when I get this put in. Also, I'm using a Cerwin Vega Stroker 1000.1.