antonmiller

Chevy Cavalier, Kerfed Port Build, 12" BTL

UPDATE

Like I stated before we ran into some issues with the fiberglass not drying fast enough this week end. i think it was a combination of not enough hardener/ not enough heat, the room we were working in wasnt heated and the temp outside was around 12 degrees. so im guessing the room was about 40-50 degrees. not hot enough for glassing. any ways on to the progress...

DSCN0369.jpg

yea I forgot to clean out the paint dust from spray painting it before fiberglassing. thats why the black paint is all smeared everywhere.

DSCN0370.jpg

put the fan on the other box in the background trying to get it to dry faster. it was really close to dry sunday at about noon and i was debating weather or not to put on the last port edge. but i really just didnt want to put glue on wet fiberglass. just didnt sound like a good idea.

DSCN0371.jpg

after sniffing fiberglass fumes all day and about a half bottle of captain in us we had forgotten to take more pics. but we did get the full curved piece fully screwed and glued in and we also put the first layer of fiberglass on it. we also dumped a shit ton of fiberglass down the kerf grooves on it.

DSCN0372.jpg

DSCN0374.jpg

every time the fiber glass would start to get hard to work with we just dumped it down the kerf slots. lol worked out pretty good oyu cant even move the dang thing. its like a rock.

DSCN0379.jpg

well just like the first update. i have a week of work then i can get back up north and try to finish this thing off!

also if you have any tips on how you mix your fiberglass/hardener please let me know. it seemed like every batch was different and i swear i was mixing it the same. but who knows....

Holy good God! That looks great and that's a huge understatement. It makes me feel bad about myself, because i have the resources to make stuff like this and never take advantage!!! Nice build thought. Looking forward to seeing the completed enclosure.

agreed

UPDATE

DSCN0374.jpg

well just like the first update. i have a week of work then i can get back up north and try to finish this thing off!

also if you have any tips on how you mix your fiberglass/hardener please let me know. it seemed like every batch was different and i swear i was mixing it the same. but who knows....

damm she sexy

u got any updates there chilli cheese dog?

a little bit. not much again tho. after work ill post pics

I don't understand why you designed the exterior panel of the port like that.

I understand the benefits of the double flared port, but I can't see the use of this long piece of wood (outside of the box).

But, nice work !! Congratulations !

You do that for a living ??!!!

I don't understand why you designed the exterior panel of the port like that.

I understand the benefits of the double flared port, but I can't see the use of this long piece of wood (outside of the box).

But, nice work !! Congratulations !

You do that for a living ??!!!

some day i will dot his for a living. but right now mostly just do designs over the internet and build boxes for some friends and myself. never made a dime off of car audio, sure have spent alot tho! lol

in about 2 1/2 hours ill have some pics up. not completely done yet. but its getting close. we also made sure they fit into the car it self. a few mods need to be made to get the tall one in, but it will go. short one slides right in. its a perfect fit!

UPDATE

not a big update again. i know im horrible. but its almost done. we got all the resin and sanding done on the inside, we also got all the port top piece. we needed to wait for the glue to dry. and on the short box we got the resin done and the sanding as well. and we have it all done except for the top plate on that one. so they are almost done. but it still isnt done. also the pictures are bad quality due to me forgeting my actual camera at home so i was using my camcorder which doesnt have motion sensing thing, so they are kind of blurry.

HERES THE PICS

PIC_0005.jpg

PIC_0011.jpg

PIC_0010.jpg

PIC_0014.jpg

PIC_0015.jpg

PIC_0016.jpg

PIC_0017.jpg

PIC_0009.jpg

PIC_0008.jpg

PIC_0007.jpg

PIC_0006.jpg

now one more week of work then im back at it. then after this weekend i have a week off of work so i can get some testing done as well. again i wont have numbers for a while.

Quite a nice looking box. :)

Just a heads up, Im assuming no progress will be posted untill christmas night or the day after. if things go good this next week, i will have vids and pictures of the completed boxes in my car. but just might be a while.

i have progress, but no pics. unfortunatly my friend who's place we are doing this at had a christmas thing on wednesday and i had one on thursday, i didnt get up there till about monday night. but we did get the exterior of the tall box completely sanded down, all edges look nice on that box. and we got the top on the short box, ran out of paint brushes so we could resin the corners in both boxes. but no pictures. next update will most likely be after new years. THIS IS JUST TAKING TOO DAMN LONG!! (I blame the booze and the distance :).....)

Anton get working, more pic!

next weekend will be a big one. i have a pool tourny tomarro and thats why im not working on it this weekend. but next week end will be when we finish the boxes and get me a new exhaust installed.

UPDATE

So i finally found some time to get up there and get a little progress complete. mainly just did the visuals, i wasnt sure how i was going to paint or carpet the box. so i just did what i thought might be cool and quick. so i bought some primer, textured paint, and some semi-gloss and flat black , I didnt know i bought 2 different kinds untill i took the picture. lol. i finished the boxes with the flat black cause thats what i was going for.

DSCN5391.jpg

so first i sanded the boxes edges down to get a nice looking edge.

DSCN5380.jpg

DSCN5379.jpg

DSCN5382.jpg

DSCN5381.jpg

Then I primed the surface and sprayed the textured paint on. I forgot to take step by step pics of the first one i did so the second one was a little lacking (ran out of paint, it takes alot of spray paint to paint a full box!).

DSCN5392.jpg

then i used the semi gloss as a "base coat".

DSCN5399.jpg

DSCN5393.jpg

DSCN5401.jpg

DSCN5402.jpg

then the final coat of flat.

DSCN5396.jpg

DSCN5395.jpg

DSCN5400.jpg

more progress coming. please bare with me on this one as i have to travel 2 hours+ to work on them.

Edited by Anton Miller

Keep up the good work, shame about the distance.

Keep up the good work, shame about the distance.

thanks man, it just sucks driving 2 - 2.5 hours to work on a box for about 8 hours (if im lucky) on the weekends when I can actually get up there. but hopefully this week end we can get the car in the garage and do some initial testing. but who knows.

MORE PICS

DSCN5437.jpg

DSCN5430.jpg

DSCN5408.jpg

DSCN5414.jpg

DSCN5419.jpg

DSCN5409.jpg

DSCN5410.jpg

DSCN5412.jpg

DSCN5413.jpg

DSCN5411.jpg

i currently have the short box in my car with the Fi BL 12 and the Rockford T1500 for testing. you cant really tell a difference by ear, but on BME Click by Lil Jon my windshield moves more than it did before, but it may be all in my head. i forgot to take pics of the box installed and will hopefully get vids and pics of it tomorrow after work (depending on the weather).

I went to take some vids today and when i got to my spot, i found that my video camera's battery was dead. but i still did some testing, i found a piece of tape that was vibrating against the box and creating a really weird noise, kind made it sound better, but i have a question about something that ive never experienced before, usually you get port noise at the end of the port, like where the air exits and enters, not at the beginning of the port, i have no port noise outside the box, but there is some on the inside!?!?! i just dont know what to do about this, its only on the 40-45 hz notes, 38 and under its all good. but that range you can hear some turbulence INSIDE the box. im just confused.... any help would be appreciated.

But it seems to be louder, its hard to tell by ear, but im happy with this result overall.

I went to take some vids today and when i got to my spot, i found that my video camera's battery was dead. but i still did some testing, i found a piece of tape that was vibrating against the box and creating a really weird noise, kind made it sound better, but i have a question about something that ive never experienced before, usually you get port noise at the end of the port, like where the air exits and enters, not at the beginning of the port, i have no port noise outside the box, but there is some on the inside!?!?! i just dont know what to do about this, its only on the 40-45 hz notes, 38 and under its all good. but that range you can hear some turbulence INSIDE the box. im just confused.... any help would be appreciated.

But it seems to be louder, its hard to tell by ear, but im happy with this result overall.

We both think it may be mechanical noise from the subwoofer but then again it could be a number of things. The only logical thing is the mechanical noise becuase his box is tuned to 32hz so a very high note played could make this port noise. Just a gess.

more vids should be on the way, but its still damn cold here and just started snowing again.

i always like to see the inside pieces touch on a kerf personally, as when glued up it makes it so much stronger,k but i really, really like the fact that it doesnt have the ridges.

gonna have to try that 1/4 inch spacing soon, as i just got that very tablesaw the other day.

i always like to see the inside pieces touch on a kerf personally, as when glued up it makes it so much stronger,k but i really, really like the fact that it doesnt have the ridges.

gonna have to try that 1/4 inch spacing soon, as i just got that very tablesaw the other day.

Yea, I really wanted the ribs to touch each other, but it just didnt work out like that. Im satisfied with this. The radius was hard to control seeing as there was alot of play.