Sign in to follow this  
Hell-Razor

CD Player stays... on?

Well I read all of the instructions and whatnot but it seems I have ran into a strange, very strange problem. I soldered it according to the manual and the wiring harness and have three people double check my work and its done correctly. It seems I have to manually turn the cdplayer on and off no matter what state the car is in (on or off). Before when I had my old radio in whenever you took the key out it would turn off the cdplayer but not in this case. Any suggestions? Anything I should check (most of it has been double and triple by two or more people). I am just out of ideas.

Its a 2003 VW Passat. I believe I did red to red wire and they both had a power sticker on it as well as what the wiring manual said for the cdplayer and the wiring kit from online (field service repair guide or something like that).

there is 2 power wires for a cd player.

"USUALLY" the red wire is ignition wire and the yellow wire is 12v constant wire.

Sounds like u got the wrong wire(s) connected together.

Alright I will double check it. I am pretty sure I have red to red and yellow to yellow ... time to double check.

Are you saying that when you turn you car off and open the door the radio stays on or cuts off?

If you turn the car off with the key and dont open a door the radio will stay on till you open the door or for about 10-15minutes until all the interior electrical accessories cut off on there own. My 2003 Saturn does this also if we are talking about the same thing.

Now if you take your key out and open the door and close it and your radio is on then you have your 12volt constant wire and ignition wire switched up with one another.

You probably need to check out the wires with a DMM/test light to find what the actual hot and remote wires are.

You probably need to check out the wires with a DMM/test light to find what the actual hot and remote wires are.

Already foudn a DMM. Ill let you guys know Tuesday. Thanks for the quick response.

Quick question here. Pretend I did have all the wiring together correctly, then what would it be? I have no clue... But the first few things I will check are the Red / Yellow wires. Ill also call a local install shop here to double check.

If you answer the questions above that i posted it will tell you exactly what it is.

Are you saying that when you turn you car off and open the door the radio stays on or cuts off?

If you turn the car off with the key and dont open a door the radio will stay on till you open the door or for about 10-15minutes until all the interior electrical accessories cut off on there own. My 2003 Saturn does this also if we are talking about the same thing.

Now if you take your key out and open the door and close it and your radio is on then you have your 12volt constant wire and ignition wire switched up with one another.

Ok I will go over it again incase others are confused...

With my OLD cd player -- I would put the key in the ignition and turn it one click the cd player would turn on. When I started up the car it will stay on. When i turned the car off the cd player would stay on until I removed the key.

With my NEW cd player -- I will have to manually turn it on and off every time I enter or exit the car

EDIT: Yeah I feel like an idiot. It makes sense I accidentally crossed the wires. I hope it wont hurt anything utnil I get it fixed Tuesday.

Edited by Hell-Razor

With my OLD cd player -- I would put the key in the ignition and turn it one click the cd player would turn on. When I started up the car it will stay on. When i turned the car off the cd player would stay on until I removed the key.

With my NEW cd player -- I will have to manually turn it on and off every time I enter or exit the car

My head unit does the same thing, I have a Kendwood and you cant even turn the radio on with the remote you have to hold down the source button on the head unit to turn it on and off. So different brands have different methods, if you want it to stay on then leave your head unit on when you turn the car off and pull the key out, so that way when you start the car on it will come on automatically.

My head unit does the same thing, I have a Kendwood and you cant even turn the radio on with the remote you have to hold down the source button on the head unit to turn it on and off. So different brands have different methods, if you want it to stay on then leave your head unit on when you turn the car off and pull the key out, so that way when you start the car on it will come on automatically.

No no no... My new cd player wont turn OFF. I have let it go for a good 20 minutes with the doors closed and key out of the ignition and it still wont turn off. As soon as I take the key out of the ignition it should turn right off. I believe I have to swap the Ignition and Constant 12v wires. The question is now is the ignition wire the yellow like it normally is? yellow and black?... well I will have to dig around and see...

Edited by Hell-Razor

Yeah you have it on the wrong wire or have your wires switched up thats all.

If you find that everything is wired correctly, you should take a look at this

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1979085

I think this is for a Jetta but it will likely help you out, Volkswagen has a weird way of doing things. Like you said in VWs when you turn the car off the radio stays on until you remove the ignition key, which is a big problem when installing an aftermarket stereo as the 12v signal is not attainable through the wiring harness. You will need to run cable to under the drivers side dash. Take a good read at the link I posted, theres some VW experts there than can explain it better than I ever could.

If you find that everything is wired correctly, you should take a look at this

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1979085

I think this is for a Jetta but it will likely help you out, Volkswagen has a weird way of doing things. Like you said in VWs when you turn the car off the radio stays on until you remove the ignition key, which is a big problem when installing an aftermarket stereo as the 12v signal is not attainable through the wiring harness. You will need to run cable to under the drivers side dash. Take a good read at the link I posted, theres some VW experts there than can explain it better than I ever could.

I read elsewhere I need to get it from the 75x relay (which I have no idea where that is but I know its under the drivers side dash). Also that website you posted -- says it doesnt exist... bahumba

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I soldered everything correctly and it looks like El Flaco was right. The ignition switch doesnt get passed through the wiring harness. So what I did was cut some extra wire off of my remote wire and attached it to the ignition switch for the rear wipers. Seeing as I dont have a rear wiper this worked out quite nice. As far as the 75x relay I was reading about -- hah good luck getting to it. I tried for quite some time to even find it and couldnt. And when I finally picked up one of those books (instructions; who needs them) it was deep inside the dash and it looked like the entire thing had to be removed to get to it.

Yea I ran into this problem as well when trying to install a head unit in my sister's jetta, searched for VW forums on google. And sure enough I found info on how to go about it. German cars can be pretty complicated lol

Yea I ran into this problem as well when trying to install a head unit in my sister's jetta, searched for VW forums on google. And sure enough I found info on how to go about it. German cars can be pretty complicated lol

But they are built tough as %$#*