smullen

Another "Which Battery for my ride" thread

So I'm slowly putting together a small system for my 2005 TrailBlazer, No SPL Comps, just want something thats really loud and sound really good... Would be nice if it threw up some impressive numbers...

What I have in hand or on the way already:

2 - sets of Polk Audio MM6501s (got them last week)

1 - SAX-100.4D (just ordered it today) Should be here by Monday, maybe Sooner... No hurry though, need more stuff...

1 - SAZ-2000D (Had it for a few months for the Blazer, was gonna order 3 more for its redo, but I got the TrailBlazer, so I'm doing it 1st, then back to the Blazer)

3 Sets of Scoche RCA (Per Jacobs recomendation)

Buncha wire and connecters and such....

Things to get:

Sub, hmmm, I have not decided for sure... I was thinking about the 1 - FI BTL 15" Fully Loaded as they say, or maybe I should say Mostly Loaded, as I want the Daily Coil, not SPL as this is for music... I'm guessing about 2.5-3 cu feet @ what 35-36hz whatever it takes....

May consider back down from a 15 to a 12, to save on Encl

Will consider other subs though...

Headunit, I think I have it narrowed down to the Pioneer-AVH-P4100DVD (add ons, Ipod adapter and HD Tuner)

Alarm, I guess Viper 5901 Responder LC3, Hoping to again try and go look at this this weekend, depending on what the wife and kid have me doing... Last weekend it was shopping and Basketball and Volleyball Games... Sheesh...

So to the meat of the question; with the two amps listed above (1 drawing a max of about 200 or so amps and the other about 90 or so) I figured right off the bat, I'd do ""The Big 3" and 2 runs of 0/1 to the back and an exta Batt....

But what Batt to get????

I don't plan on parking and booming for more than a few minutes at a time and I'll mostly have the engine running, not like I used to do at Car shows... Size of the Batt is important for this as I do not want to use up the whole cargo area and I'm already looking at a decent size box, if I go with that 15" FI listed above...

Sorry to make the above post so long winded, but I figured if I did not provide as many details as possible, thats what the 1st 3 or 4 replies would be asking for...

Hopefully, it'll be a nice little system...

I would say a nice group 31 battery with the Big 3 done, get a volt meter to watch voltage if problems then HO Alternator time.

sounds like a nice little setup!

you said size is to be considered so what size are you looking for, for the battery that is. you didn't call out specific sizes and how about a budget for the battery?

to support a my saz2000 and sax100.4 i am using 2-batcap 2000's and have little to no issues and i also have the big 3 and 1 run of wire from front to back, i also have a 200amp alt!

and the batcaps are only 50ah each and super small (size wise) but the batcaps are meant for a burp due to their small reserve and how fast they can discharge. but for my daily application of a saz2000 and 100.4 along with a Night shade D2 it suits me very well! and yes i also have a voltage meter so i can keep an eye on everything.

as for bigger batteries go with a kinetik 2400, stinger, XS power3100, power surge2000 if you got a bigger budget.

as for bigger and cheap try out some deka g31 or batcap's 2000, or even the nsb 90's!

for smaller batteries go with the above listed names just the smaller versions for what they offer.

but all this depends on your price range and space available, and i will be selling my 2-batcap 2000's with a charger and bus bars in the future so if you would like to try those out shoot me a p/m (they are about 30lb each)

Edited by CrazyKenKid

you know i seen those deka 9a31 for about 150 unbranded (so no logo) being sold from some site whihc i can't rember for the life of me. but ya deka is a great battery to consider also!

Thanks for the replies...

Yea I guess knowing a size would help you guys.. :) Its one of those things, that I don't really have a size... Just don't want something Huge, if I don't have too... I want to save as much cargo room as possible. but I also know you have to give up space to make bass too..

On Budget, I really don't have one... Whatever it takes... I mean I don't want to waste money and say, ohh a 1000.00, but then again, I don't want to cheap out and say 50.00s... I'll spend whatevers needed, within reason you know...

I'll try to draw up a top view of my idea of how I want to lay out the cargo area to look nice when I show it to someone, but remain semi-stealthy as much as possible with a Sub enc and two amps...

My idea is, facing/looking into the cargo area the left side would be an enclosure/battery box, the right side would be a false floor, with the two amps longways.. If I remeber right those amps are just under 3" tall... So, I'll be able to put a cover them and still put stuff in there when I need too... I want to stay under the window line too, actually under the cargo area cover line... So I can keep it more hidden...

Lemme see if I can draw/post up something...

Most of the batteries you need are going to be 13" long and about 9" tall and 7" wide give or take so if you dont have size for that then you should invest in a HO Alt and then get a nice compact secondary battery with fewer AH.

Top part would be top view, bottom part would be view looking in from tailgate, so you can see my amp false floor idea and where I think I'd put the Battery/Yellow Box

c3622659303421.gif

Click below for Full Size, biggert pic....

http://www.imagebam..../c3622659303421

Please excuse my drawing skills or lack of.... I used Visio, then saved it as a .jpg and u/led it real quick...

Jay-cee, I think that size batt you quoted would/should work.... I'll have to take some more measurements and play around with box sizes... This may force me to step down to the 12" vs the 15".. sad.gif

Edited by smullen

that box seems to be pretty small for a 15. maybe a 12 would be in order. you said above ported to 35hz =ish. i didn't see a port off hand, and i know this is just a rough sketch. but it looks good! but maybe a 12 for sure if you box is going to be that small off hand. maybe evne one of those 12inch NS which need a 1.5cubic box(if memory serves lol) but for sure i love how it all looks!! also what about heat you say the amps will be under a false floor?

o wiat the grey area is the port! found it! lol!

that box seems to be pretty small for a 15. maybe a 12 would be in order. you said above ported to 35hz =ish. i didn't see a port off hand, and i know this is just a rough sketch. but it looks good! but maybe a 12 for sure if you box is going to be that small off hand. maybe evne one of those 12inch NS which need a 1.5cubic box(if memory serves lol) but for sure i love how it all looks!! also what about heat you say the amps will be under a false floor?

Drawing is no where to scale, I suck at teh scaling...

Ports in grey... :) sorry crappy drwing I know...

I'll have to play with some measuements, maybe able to go a bit wider to get more airspace... Right now I'm just tossing ideas around... When that other amp shows up, I'll take;em both out there and lay them in in for a test fit and see what space I have for the enclosure...

I'm concernd about the heat too... I was thinking of adding a few small 12V cooling fans... I saw some low profile squirell cage fans I could do 1 or 2 pushing air then 1 or 2 pulling on the other side... I dunno... Gonna take a buncha test fitting... 98% of the time there will be no cargo in there.... But that 2% of the time I need some room for a few duffel bags for going to the cabin and some room for the goodies when I go to the gun range, monthly...

how about making an amp rack to stack the amps and get them out of the way to allow for a bigger box or maybe even standing them up on end some how! to get even more space! and yes i know you are still making idea's and what not!!

If you have a tight area you can use 4 or 5 smaller powercells like a kinetik hc600. You could even make a step to hide the battery because most agm cells can be laid on their side.

...2.5 - 3 Cubes Ain't Gonna Work Too Well For That 15" BTL. Have To Compromise One Way Or Another, 12" Or Less Cargo Room.

You Could Also Do A Dual Battery Conversion In The Engine Bay.... :D (See, Improvisation, Bitches.)

For the price, this is hard to beat. I just dont know if its too big for your install. Deka 9A31

Have you bought from that website before? was gonna get my 9a31's at remybattery.com but their out of stock.

that is the site i was thinking of with the unbadged deka! it was remybattery.com lol! i knew someone would know the site!

but it looks like they sold out of the unbadged ones for like 120each or something like thaT!

Top part would be top view, bottom part would be view looking in from tailgate, so you can see my amp false floor idea and where I think I'd put the Battery/Yellow Box

c3622659303421.gif

Click below for Full Size, biggert pic....

http://www.imagebam..../c3622659303421

Please excuse my drawing skills or lack of.... I used Visio, then saved it as a .jpg and u/led it real quick...

So if I do something like the above, what should the finished product be covered in???

Not sure of the color of my interior, it looks Grey to me, but I read somewhere that it was a Ebony Cashmiere or some ish like that... Again, looks like a shade of Grey to me...

Here is a pic of my Hatch area...

54373360385082.gif

I think you can click on it for bigger pic... I hate Image Bam.... One of these days I'm just gonna spring for my own domain and someweb space...

Anyway, Back to the covering of the box / Amp rack...

Edited by smullen

I would go with the lightest gray you can get or get it to match your interior panel covers. Can be covered in paint, vinyl or carpet (its up to you on how much money you want to spend, what you know how to do).

Put a fan under the false floor with the amps. And you can put the Dekas on their side, mine have been on their side for one year and still going strong.