Alright here's my Dilemma, I have two head units an Alpine IdA-x200 and a Kenwood Excelon kdc-x589. I'm trying to determine which one is better. They both have their pros and cons starting with the Alpine.

pros: Ipod support, good looking, ease of use, and usb support.

Cons: 2v pre-outs,

and for the kenwood

Pros: 4 volt preouts, sounds great cd support, 2.5mm jack in.

cons: no ipod support.

I'm trying to determine which one to keep and give the other one to my father. Also i was told by a local shop owner who competed in world finals said that typically CDs tend to get louder than MP3's is this true?

here's some more specs.

Alpine:

# digital media receiver (no built-in CD player)# built-in amplifier (16 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)# plays MP3, WMA, and AAC music files from external sources# 2.2" 2-line display# detachable face# optional remote control#Audio features:# 2-band parametric equalizer# compatible with Alpine's PXA-H100 IMPRINT audio processor and KTX-H100 tuning kit

Kenwood:

# CD receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)# motorized, fold-down, detachable face with two-color display# plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files)# Advanced Codec (AC) Drive with Voice Index on Tap gives verbal confirmation of digital music folders and files# System Q EX Sound Control (with 3-band parametric equalizer)# System E's+ Advanced Crossover system# 24-bit digital-to-analog converter# satellite radio controls (SIRIUS or XM subscription, tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) — service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories# HD Radio-ready (will control Kenwood's HD Radio tuner)# CD changer controls# dual zone audio control# 3 sets of 4-volt preamp outputs# CR-2 tuner# 18 FM/6 AM presets# wireless remote# clock# CD frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz# CD signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB# FM sensitivity: 9.3 dBf

let me reiterate i'm trying to find out which one to keep and which one to give to my father.

well if you are planning on car audio in the future keep the kenwood due to the preouts and more things you can do and what not!

and if you aren't keep the alpine! lol

now is an mp3 player louder then a cd, it depends on if you normallize your songs or not or how the song is recorded from my understanding that is. but i am sure shizzzz or jay would know better about this theory.

so i guess the real questions are, what are your future goals and listening habbits? like if i always have an ipod on me i would stick with a ipod ready h/u but i am a cd/dvd kind a guy (whihc is what i am)!!

Edited by CrazyKenKid

I'm going to be having 3 audioque HDC3 10's on a saz-3000d.. so going very loud ^^

it was also my understanding that pre-oout voltage doesn't mean to much anyways b/c when the music it playing the pre-out voltage will dip even lower, like my pre-outs are i think 5volts and i get somewhere around 1.5volts when playings, all that means i you have to set your gains on your amp(s) a bit higher. it is a like trade off! high pre-out voltage and low gain setting or low preout and higher gain setting. and if the preout voltage is killing you you cna always use one of those line drivers by RF

umm a 3k setup!! very cool!! what ohms are the subs going to be? (or what do you plan to run the amp at)

AND very nice selection on the amp!

The question is which head unit has the feature that you need, do you need a ipod support if so then use the Alpine (im assuming you want ipod support since you labeled it as a pro and con between the two).

Hopefully you are getting those subs in dual 2 ohms so you can wire them to a final ohm load of 1.34ohms.

umm a 3k setup!! very cool!! what ohms are the subs going to be? (or what do you plan to run the amp at)

AND very nice selection on the amp!

Thank you. I love it.

The question is which head unit has the feature that you need, do you need a ipod support if so then use the Alpine (im assuming you want ipod support since you labeled it as a pro and con between the two).

It's a hard decision the Kenwood has a 2.5mm jack which i used to use with my iphone. I'm not qutie sure which is best. hard choice.

i always thought the iPod vs. 3mm jack the iPod connector would always win b/c in some cases it allows you to use your h/u rather than your iPod and it has potential to get louder

I would install both and pick which one you want more. Use the round butt connectors on the wires so the second install is fast and easy. Keep each one for a few days and give em a test run!nightrider.gif

It's going to be hard for us to tell you which set of features are important to you.

Preamp output voltage isn't important, so scratch that off your list.

If you primarily use your Ipod, keep the Alpine.

If you use both Ipod and CD, keep the Kenwood.