Frostedflakejake

how important is MDF size

So after taking a bed apart a few days ago i discovered the mass use of MDF used in the bed's structure. Now if i wanna build a box for my 18" btl, people always say use 1/2" MDF. How important is that 1/2" ? Why does it need to be that thick? For structural/support reasons?

the MDF from the bed is 3/8" and i'm going to go buy the 1/2" just because everyone on here says to do it and i trust them, i was just curious. I have like...50 square feet of the stuff. :ehh:

Edited by Frostedflakejake

So after taking a bed apart a few days ago i discovered the mass use of MDF used in the bed's structure. Now if i wanna build a box for my 18" btl, people always say use 1/2" MDF. How important is that 1/2" ? Why does it need to be that thick? For structural/support reasons?

the MDF from the bed is 5/8" and i'm going to go buy the 1/2" just because everyone on here says to do it and i trust them, i was just curious. I have like...50 square feet of the stuff. ehh.gif

Firstly, 5/8" is more than 1/2". Secondly, if you built a box for a BTL, out of a single layer of 1/2"mdf, that box won't last very long at all.

If you have 5/8", and alot of it, do a double layer all around.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

yeah sorry for that. EDIT 3/8"

so you say at least an inch thick all around

so i can't really get a hold of inch thick MDF.

how about douple layer of 3/4?

yeah sorry for that. EDIT 3/8"

so you say at least an inch thick all around

Make sure you brace the enclosure internally for added strength.

yeah i'll start a "please help i'm building my first box" post after christmas. i would LOVE to start this weekend but i need the money for christmas shopping :/

but i have seen some pictures of great internal structure that i plan on following rather closely.

where did you guys get your MDF? i just checked my lowe's and home-depot and the thickest available is 3/4. and i am NOT ordering wood online to ship, those shipping costs must be hell.

3/4 is fine.

I'd say 3/4" is fine. Maybe even do a double baffle.

yeah from what i hear, the double baffle is a must.

alright, thanks guys! ill post some pictures soon

A (assuming) ported box for an 18" woofer is going to be pretty big. I'd say at LEAST 3/4" all around. If that's not an option, then lots and lots of bracing.

A (assuming) ported box for an 18" woofer is going to be pretty big. I'd say at LEAST 3/4" all around. If that's not an option, then lots and lots of bracing.

x2 on double baffling the box where the woofer sits

for my BTL i braced it alittle and fiber glass resined the inside