tez224

RL-P ported power handling

I have heard many mixed reviews as to how much these subs will actually handle. I have heard about the very strong motor, 2.3'' long 3'' diameter 4 layer VC, and dual spiders. I hear that they have the same thermal power handling as the RE XXX due to the VC. However, are they limited by their mechanical power handling or something else? They sound like they are suited for a lot of abuse but then I recently heard that they do not like abuse (from owners) and that they have a lower power handling than the ID Maxes. The ID Maxes are known to not like 1000 watts or so and are said to be about their limit for daily driving.I am asking because I have 2 RL-P 15s and a Orion 2500d sitting at my house. My plan was to run them at 4 ohms (1200 + watts) and wire them at 1 ohm for burps or occasionally for Daily driving if I felt the need. I realize that I will have to keep the gain down, but I want to know if it would be dangerous to them even with the gain down for daily driving. My box is 5 cubes tuned to about 31 hz. I plan on running them at 1 ohm and see if they can handle it or not but this is a bit of a crapshoot.

I feel you should be fine with that power, there have been a few installs running more power to them, if you run them @ 4 ohms, they will see somewhere in the range of 600 watts which is well with in the range of the sub

well, IMO, the rl-p can indeed handle 1200wrms in a ported application. i gave my one 12 that off my orion 2500d @ 4ohm. so i imagine a pair of 15's would do just fine as well. especially if u know when to back off.

also, IME, the xxx can handle a lil more power.

and, like denim said, a pair of the 15's of the orion at 4 ohm is going to sound grreat and get plenty loud. but again, IMO, for the occasional STFU, they will take 1200 easily.

as to them not taking abouse, the rl-p will definitely let u know when it's reaching too far...and if u don't know enough to back off, then it's owner error, not sub design.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

So having a 4000D on 2 12's is bad right ?

Thanks mrray, thats what I wanted to hear. I have also heard subs with xbl^2 do not neccesarily let you know when they are being distorted or overpowered, and it is good to know that I will know when I am pushing the rl-ps too hard. I will be careful when I do run them at 1 ohm for the occasional "STFU" lol.

i dunno..lol...mike ran two rl-i10's off 3000wrms...

and tez, no problem! but u will definitely know when ur pushing too hard, and if u'll back off, then those subs will last u quite a long time. my rl-p has seen as much as 250owrms, it didn't like it, but it did see it..lol...and 1200wrms is the most i'd put on one in a ported application. and i'd make sure my gains are set correctly and u shouldn't have any trouble.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i dunno..lol...mike ran two rl-i10's off 3000wrms...

and tez, no problem! but u will definitely know when ur pushing too hard, and if u'll back off, then those subs will last u quite a long time. my rl-p has seen as much as 250owrms, it didn't like it, but it did see it..lol...and 1200wrms is the most i'd put on one in a ported application. and i'd make sure my gains are set correctly and u shouldn't have any trouble.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I just realized that i have to mod it.

So its gonna be more than 4K rms :domoslay:

Stupid 4000D has a crazy protection, wont let you clip it.

I just realized that i have to mod it.

So its gonna be more than 4K rms  :domoslay:

Stupid 4000D has a crazy protection, wont let you clip it.

why would you want to clip it?

I was trying to blow up a 6 1/2" speaker but it wouldnt let me :(

RE: "So having a 4000D on 2 12's is bad right ?"

I'd rather find another amp to power these, I have been trying to find someone who wants to trade so I can run the power I need. I'm loooking at the Diamond Audio D61500.1, but I need to find a buyer for the 4000D first...

RE: "So having a 4000D on 2 12's is bad right ?"

I'd rather find another amp to power these, I have been trying to find someone who wants to trade so I can run the power I need. I'm loooking at the Diamond Audio D61500.1, but I need to find a buyer for the 4000D first...

im putting 1000w daily to my ported rl-p 12" with no problems. just watch the gains. beauty of the rlps dont need that much power. 600w rms would be fine for that sub.