PRESTON09

Orion clipping light

Hey guys just a quick qustion. I was digging through some old amps I have and i found an old school orion hcca 250 digital reference 2 channel. On this amp there is a clipping indicator, Should i trust this light? how accurate is it.? Also i have a rubicon with the same thing.

Hey guys just a quick qustion. I was digging through some old amps I have and i found an old school orion hcca 250 digital reference 2 channel. On this amp there is a clipping indicator, Should i trust this light? how accurate is it.? Also i have a rubicon with the same thing.

The only device you should trust when it comes to clipping is an o-scope. It would be wise that if you do see the light on then turn it down.

I bought it off a friend, and have never hooked it up my self i just stored it away. Thanks jay-cee. Can you recommend a good not to expensive scope.

I bought it off a friend, and have never hooked it up my self i just stored it away. Thanks jay-cee. Can you recommend a good not to expensive scope.

I personally have not bought one, so I have no experience with them and what brand names are good but they are kinda pricey from my understanding.

I'd look for some company closing and auctioning off their goods.

That's why unless you're really into signal analysis, really curious, or have other use for it, there isn't really a need for one. Your ears are your best tool, listening for the speaker stressing and letting you know there's too much power. If you know what you're listening for you can hear amplifier clipping as well (albeit at a bit higher clipping level than an indicator would probably tell you). So, IMO, having an o-scope just for car audio purposes isn't worth it.