Don Ganso

So my buddy wants a system but...

Friend needs system.

Approx. $450 to spend on sub(s) and amp(s)

Goals: Loud daily, but is not concerned about front stage, just wants lots of bass

Vehicle: 1998 Chevy Venture, (will remove back row if need be to fit box depending on setup)

Electrical: Stock except for big 3

I have thought about a couple different options, and was wondering who, if anyone, has had experience with the Audioque SD2.5 subs... Can get 2 15s for $280 and then an AQ-1200D for power... Open to any and all suggestions.

Need more info? Let me know.

dimensions of space available will help.

go with 2 18s then. you can do two 18" MJ-18Ms :D cheaper too.

x2, big ol' box for 2 18 MJs in a mini van would be cheap and be loud enough for him

MJs? Who makes those, Memphis?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the chevy venture is a mini-van right?

Yes... so plenty of space. Enough for just about anything; only thing putting a stopper on size will be the price.

MJs? Who makes those, Memphis?

Mach 5 Audio, if your interested contact Mark at sales@mach5audio.com

Not to hate on Mach 5; I've heard nothing but good things; but the MJs just don't look that "beefy." Now, I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but they just look... I don't know what I'm saying. Basically, can they do what they came to do? The price is excellent IMO, so how do they stack up to the audioques?

They aren't a high power handling woofer. With the right box, and the right power, those suckers will get FREAKING loud. Build big and tune low.

Oh, and before I forget, he/we do not have the money to buy the subs and do a little test; $$$ is tight. In an optimal enclosure and both on RMS power, which would, if you HAD to guess, bring the pain but still be musical, ( which would do it better?)?

They aren't a high power handling woofer. With the right box, and the right power, those suckers will get FREAKING loud. Build big and tune low.

If he's interested in some, I have two magnets that I would be willing to rebuild and sell dirt cheap.

If he's interested in some, I have two magnets that I would be willing to rebuild and sell dirt cheap.

For the MJs? We might talk about this... Thanks for the heads up.

Any other suggestions? Throw out any ideas: this does not have to be a multi-sub setup: one big mothalicka will do as well, so long as it is loud, low, and makes tasty jams when called upon.

the mj's are like 150 shipped I think. thats the best price performance you can get. plus with 18s you aren't going to need a lot of power to get loud so theres no need for large electrical upgrades. get about 1500-1800 watts and your set. build the box as big as you can.

the mj's are like 150 shipped I think. thats the best price performance you can get. plus with 18s you aren't going to need a lot of power to get loud so theres no need for large electrical upgrades. get about 1500-1800 watts and your set. build the box as big as you can.

Was watching some youtube vids of some guy putting 750rms on 2 and he was basically destroying his car with them... lol

Seriously though, I think you are right, these are a good call.

Now, I've heard tell that audiopipe makes an amp that does 1800rms at 2 ohms, but I can't seem to find it... I find 1800 at 1, so am I mistaken?

Whats a good amp to give these suckers their rms or at least pretty close? (2 of them, 4 ohm SVC)

well, i think they only come in single 4 ohms right now. so you want an amp that does around that at 2 ohms. and the ap1800d does rated at 1 ohm and not 2 ohms. talk to mach5 and see if they have other voice coil configurations because I haven't looked at the website for a while and its down right now. I just remember seeing somewhere that he is adding dual voice coils too I think. But you would probably have to look at kickers or something else.

i heard they are will have some more vc configuration soon aswell

mj's should be great for you.

So, I need some cheap but fairly reliable power... Any suggestions?

i didnt relies the MJs are that cheap. thats a great start for subs for yer friends system.

DB-R is having a sale on sundown amps and are priced really good.

Edited by lil_italy773

Yeah I scooped up my SAZ-1000D refurb that's on its way from this sale, but the only thing left that puts out the power I'm looking for is the 3500, and both of the available ones are way over budget. Beautiful amps and worth every penny, but ain't got that many pennies...

Have a look at these:

power acoustik

Hifonics

Sound storm <---- NOT soundstream lol

SPL <----The company, not the term

These are just examples I found on sonicelectronix that I considered. I probably would not have my bud invest in this particular power acoustik, (4 AWG max but there are some that take 1/0), and there are other amps very similar to these shown that are made by the same companies.

Point being, if you were looking to spend under $300 on an amp to do 1400 to 1800 watts rms at 2 ohms, what would you pick? Are any of these products reliable? I have heard good and bad things about Hifonics and other maxxsonics products, (love/hate thing I guess), but not much about the other three companies...

Input? Other suggestions?

Just a clarification: I'm not looking at these EXACT amps, just amps similar to these made by these companies. I am not closed to other ideas; quite the contrary: throw any suggestions you have on the table and we'll all have a sniff of them.

Edited by Don Ganso

get the ap1800 then if your going to get that hifonics 2000 and running it at 2 ohms. the ap1800d is right under 200 shipped. I wouldn't consider any of those other amps besides the hifonics.

get the ap1800 then if your going to get that hifonics 2000 and running it at 2 ohms. the ap1800d is right under 200 shipped. I wouldn't consider any of those other amps besides the hifonics.

where is it under $200 shipped? Do they make anything with more power? power good...

they make a 3000 too. and you can find them on ebay all day. go for the ap1800d or ap30001d. the ap30001d is rated at 2 ohms, but you will need electrical power to back it up or you will get a burnt amp.

I got my 3000 and 1500 off ebay from a trusted seller that offers 1 year warranty.