Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

Two MJ18M's and a SAZ-1500D

After slowly coming to a point in my life where I realize that dreams don't come with money to support them, I decided to stray from my initial craving for the Wardens and go for something i can afford before i'm 40. The plan consists of (2) MJ18M woofers tuned around 26 to 28 hz. The goal is Spl, but not at the expense of the low lows. I listen to alot of chopped & screwed music and like that ability to hear every note. The front stage is most likely going to be a SAX-100.4 on some Focal comps. I recently got a hookup for some decent deadener; almost free actually. i will do two runs of 0/1 for positive and the same for ground. Looking at a powermaster for up front and a bigger one in the rear. Oh, and a new alt too. my arm hurts from aiming the Wii remote, so i'll close up by asking for your guys' input on this plan. Thanks,

--Chris

Oh its between an Eclipse or a 2 door explorer. It would be a T-shaped box in the hatch of the 'Clipse or subs up port back in the SUV. not sure yet. I'm very tired just let me know if i am too vague about something.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

What are your goals of spl 140 or more? I find the subs at SSA are more sq based with lower sensitivities. Those mj's are still on the lower side of it but are damn good subs that can get loud like the rest of his products at SSA. I own an ixl 15.2.2 it tends to be one noteish like a sq sub handles 1000watts at 89db's at 2.83 v / 1 meter. The subs I got from SSA this far have been sq all the way and should not be used for spl they are limited because of the sensitivity. But do not get me wrong they can and will get louder and stay cleaner than most subs in the sq market. If headed more for spl look at the jbl power p1022 or the p1222 in a t line here are the specs of the line the port area has to be SD times 1.4 to 1.5 for the port area. Length of line has to be 6 to 8 foot long. To find tuning of line take the inches of the line and divided buy 3390. That gave tuning frequency now take that answer and divide buy 13560 to get frequency length. Then divide buy 12 inches to get feet then divided by four to get how far your max from the windshield can be in feet the closer the better these are unhampered lines. Just a word of waning they will hit lows. my pop want to jump out of the center console when I hit 34 hertz in my truck I had two in a ranger x cab hitting 141.5 on the windshield , trying to fit four of them lol's with the new sae 1200d I got at 1 ohm. I hope I will top out higher yet with four subs. you can clean out the mid range bass buy tuning its port area by SD times 1.5 -2.5 so the bass get's deeper it all in the book loud speaker design cook book. If I could I would go horn just do not know the formulas for it horns have deeper bass then a line. And are way louder the only problem with lines and horns is they just don't fit in cars you basically need a astro van to hit 180. But ya the jbl power subs are like 115 each you could get four of them for the price of two mj's. Don’t get me wrong the mj are very nice speakers but there more on the sq side I think. btw that sd is from your t/s spec's and the 141.5 i hit was on a term lab mic with two ten's and about 900 rms watts could try the 12 they are louder. any ways it just a suggestion i know a lot of people always wanted mjs i do not want to shoot you down on the idea cause i know they will not be around in the future as far as i know.

My only real stipulation is that I get 18's. I am aiming for spl on my budget. a little sq wouldnt hurt, but it's not the driving force behind this plan. I am building a re-enforced box to use until I decide on a higher power pair. I am not at all expecting it from th MJ's on 1500rms but i would like to run a 149.9 with my Final setup. I would love to get into competing, maybe start some plainfield shows.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

Well I hit 140.06 on 800-900 rms ( RF T1000bd @ 2ohms) on 2 MJ18ms on the TL. BTW this was at 30hz :)

I love low end bass, its the best, big box low tune, cant go wrong.

I plan on 1k ea to them im hoping for 147-149 at the same freq.

BTW this is in a caprice wagon.

Get you a wagon, and get to work.

My only real stipulation is that I get 18's. I am aiming for spl on my budget. a little sq wouldnt hurt, but it's not the driving force behind this plan. I am building a re-enforced box to use until I decide on a higher power pair. I am not at all expecting it from th MJ's on 1500rms but i would like to run a 149.9 with my Final setup. I would love to get into competing, maybe start some plainfield shows.

ya those jbl are purely spl i was trying to hint that the mj's are better in the sq department. i would start competing or even go to event just to be measure it cheaper then buying a mic, and fun at that you get to met new people in the industry etc. to me now spl is like seeing 24 inch rims on a hummer it attracts you, you want it but it gets old quick .this is because it cost so much it's like drag racing can never spend enough money doing it. racing has been know to drive the average man in to the poor house same with audio.

Well I hit 140.06 on 800-900 rms ( RF T1000bd @ 2ohms) on 2 MJ18ms on the TL. BTW this was at 30hz :)

I love low end bass, its the best, big box low tune, cant go wrong.

I plan on 1k ea to them im hoping for 147-149 at the same freq.

BTW this is in a caprice wagon.

Get you a wagon, and get to work.

Thats cool. Makes me even more excited :lol: I was looking at the explorer, 4dr cuz something about it, I just like. Would it be that much harder to pressurize the SUV? I forgot to ask, have the two ohm versions come out?

Edited by DeepSubBoy

Your first step should be to determine what car your gonna get instead of speculating. Unless your buying it with your money and can control what you can get, then buying ahead of time may be a waste especially if you get something that two 18"s cant fit in with there respected enclosures. Just my .02

For what it's worth, I hit 146.3 with 2x MJ18's (the originals) off an Earthquake PHD3 (2kw RMS) in a 6.5cf sealed box in my 95 saturn wagon, stock electrical system too.

Your first step should be to determine what car your gonna get instead of speculating. Unless your buying it with your money and can control what you can get, then buying ahead of time may be a waste especially if you get something that two 18"s cant fit in with there respected enclosures. Just my .02

Explorer for sure.