Sign in to follow this  
TonyRomo

Swapping JL Audio 12W4 for 12 inch Kicker CVX

Last year I traded locally with this guy for a 12w4. The sub is in my 2006 Chevy single cab truck. Box is roughly 2 cubic feet slot ported tuned at 32hz. The sub sounds perfect for the enclosure. Very very good and accurate sound. My only problem is that it's being pushed by a RF Amp with a birth sheet of 926 rms watts. Definite overkill for the sub. So I've turned it way down. Even at that, if I crank it at the deck and certain frequencies the sub sounds like it's being crunched. So I've thought about swapping the sub for a higher wattage subs. A JL W 6 looks to be to deep for the setup. So I checked around and it appears Kicker makes the CVX with very similar box specs and about the same mounting depth. Looks to be perfect. So how is the CVXfor sound quality? I know it's going to hit harder because it can handle the power my amp is putting out but I was wondering about sound quality.

I may be wrong but JL didn't make a w4

Yah I meant w3. They did make a w4 way back in the day but changed teh name to w1, w3, w6. It used to be w2, w4, w6.

Last year I traded locally with this guy for a 12w4. The sub is in my 2006 Chevy single cab truck. Box is roughly 2 cubic feet slot ported tuned at 32hz. The sub sounds perfect for the enclosure. Very very good and accurate sound. My only problem is that it's being pushed by a RF Amp with a birth sheet of 926 rms watts. Definite overkill for the sub. So I've turned it way down. Even at that, if I crank it at the deck and certain frequencies the sub sounds like it's being crunched. So I've thought about swapping the sub for a higher wattage subs. A JL W 6 looks to be to deep for the setup. So I checked around and it appears Kicker makes the CVX with very similar box specs and about the same mounting depth. Looks to be perfect. So how is the CVXfor sound quality? I know it's going to hit harder because it can handle the power my amp is putting out but I was wondering about sound quality.

Number one your amp wont be putting out all its watts all the time, since music is dynamic. Put the subwoofer in the right box and any subwoofer will sound good, I love CVX's. Set your gains right and you will be ok.