smashedz28

What is better?

Ok.. i see questions like this all over the place.. so ill try to lay it out in a way you guys can give me the best advice.. I know BTL's are awesome.. ive never heard one in person but there is no doubt in my mind there probably worth every penny. My question is... Im on somewhat of a budget.. Ive heard a buddy's car along time ago runnin 2 12" power Hx2's and it sounded really good. Well i have a Tahoe now with some room in it so Ive found some local Power HX2 15's that i can afford to pick up.. OR.. i can probably squeeze out the cash for an 18" BTL (just 1) .. Lookin for SPL, not gonna be in any tournaments or anything, just tryin to hit alot harder than anyone around here.. What would sound better.. 2 Power HX2 15's or 1 18" BTL ? Assuming ill have a professional box built to spec for each and the proper power and charging system...Appreciate any input you guys may have for me.

I would say the two Hx's, since there are two of them. The question is what exactly is your budget, if your going to get a box build from a shop. They could charge all the way up to $400-500. The charging system(batteries,new alternator) would be around $1000 or so. I mean there are alternatives, to get lower prices, just a generalization.

Ok.. i see questions like this all over the place.. so ill try to lay it out in a way you guys can give me the best advice.. I know BTL's are awesome.. ive never heard one in person but there is no doubt in my mind there probably worth every penny. My question is... Im on somewhat of a budget.. Ive heard a buddy's car along time ago runnin 2 12" power Hx2's and it sounded really good. Well i have a Tahoe now with some room in it so Ive found some local Power HX2 15's that i can afford to pick up.. OR.. i can probably squeeze out the cash for an 18" BTL (just 1) .. Lookin for SPL, not gonna be in any tournaments or anything, just tryin to hit alot harder than anyone around here.. What would sound better.. 2 Power HX2 15's or 1 18" BTL ? Assuming ill have a professional box built to spec for each and the proper power and charging system...Appreciate any input you guys may have for me.

i used to have 4 12 power hx2's running off 2 us amps 2000x's. they rocked but that was 9or 10 years ago. so the hx2 are probably beat to shit since they require a crap load of power and most of the time power turns into abuse. not to mention dry rot!!!! i have 2 btls 15s and 2 bl 15s. love them all!! i switch em if i wanna show off and go balls out or just ride around and have some fun. either way id go with the btl. ive had 75% of the subs on the market and doubt id ever use anything different again, although i have been eyeing a set of acsendant havocs or 2

petented is right, if you did all the work yourself you would save a considerable amount of money, maybe even enough to buy two BTL's. The louder subs will be the ones in the better install.

There is a guy semi-local who builds boxes Idyllic Enclosures | Custom Subwoofer Enclosures That Don't Suck , would probably goto him for the box. Good point with the hx2's.. they are an older subwoofer meaning they have been around the block a time or 2. I was told condition is like brand new but i havent seen them in person. The box is the only part of this i would be paying someone for and thats because i want it right, ive tried my hand at box building and it just wasnt as good as it could be. I would be buying the HX2's 1 by 1.. I have an older Power 10001bd fosgate i was gonna use for 1 untill i upgraded that and bought the other hx2... but from what ive seen those btl's are something else. I should really just go with one of those. I used to have a system in this tahoe along time ago but it was trash, wires are cheap i couldnt believe it when i actually looked the other day. Probably bought em at the flea market :noob: So basically this is a total thing.. im paid weekly so as money rolls in so will equipment. Alternator, 0ga wires, new amp.. even a battery.. ive never used a 2nd battery, i may be in the wrong forum section for this but anyone have any links to installing battery's? Im sure its easy as hell but id like to see a diagram so they all get the proper charge.. also would a 240 AMP alternator be enough for a 15 or 18" BTL (at optimal power)? Or would i have to buy another battery also? kinda new at the upgrading my charging system thing. Amp i will probably go with sundown because the price is right for the power. appreciate your guy's input.. gets the wheels rollin in my head as to where i want to go with this.

A 240 amp alternator would be excellent. Wiring a battery is very simple, anyone can help you when you actually start to install. The BTL's are something else, what amplifier are you looking to power it?

Also do you have anything planned for the front stage?

After thinking about this a little deeper im going to hold off on the sub/amp for right now. Obviously there is alot more to this. I need to purchase some 0 guage wire from knukonceptz.com FIRST , price seems right and the cable appears to be very good quality, then alternator. THEN ill go for the BTL 15" and more than likely a 1500 or 2000 watt sundown, whichever i can get my hands on cheaper. With this so far am i going to need a new battery for sure? I really dont want to go buy one seeing how damn expensive they are. is a 2nd battery a must have for this install? If so anyone know of any good battery's that can be purchased at a decent price online? A few links would be very helpful. As far as high's go, ive never really set up a system with excellent highs, i understand this can get expensive as well. what i have in the tahoe so far is 4 Eclipse 6.5's in all doors and i think they are 4 x 9 eclipse in the back (came with the vehicle but are eclipse matching the rest). As of now i dont even have them wired for an amplifier but do plan on running wire for them when the 0 guage goes in. Amp im very unsure, im not even sure how good the speakers are. They sound very clear running off the deck but i would be a fool to go with the bass from a BTL and keep the high's on the deck power. time will tell. my focus right now is on my power system. i need to be able to run the power needed for the BTL's. A dealer in town offered me a 15 inch Orion HCCA for $500 brand new. But after reading into those things im gonna need some massive power to run it and it may set me outside of my budget on this one.

Edited by smashedz28

Your doing it the right way working on the electrical system first, props there. The HCCA is a good woofer, but considering you'd get a BTL for the same price, BTL>HCCA

yea, i havent heard either, Havent seen a BTL up close either.. But looking at that HCCA its a monster.. is the BTL comparable in size and weight? Damn HCCA kinda intimidated me LOL. Dont know if i can handle that much woofer

yea, i havent heard either, Havent seen a BTL up close either.. But looking at that HCCA its a monster.. is the BTL comparable in size and weight? Damn HCCA kinda intimidated me LOL. Dont know if i can handle that much woofer

Yes, they are similar in size.

well its a good thing im doin my electrical first LOL looks like im gonna need it. Not to mention a hell of a box lol, anyone use the knukonceptz 0 guage wire? is it good stuff?

well its a good thing im doin my electrical first LOL looks like im gonna need it. Not to mention a hell of a box lol, anyone use the knukonceptz 0 guage wire? is it good stuff?

Great stuff, I have some know and gonna buy more.

After thinking about this a little deeper im going to hold off on the sub/amp for right now. Obviously there is alot more to this. I need to purchase some 0 guage wire from knukonceptz.com FIRST , price seems right and the cable appears to be very good quality, then alternator. THEN ill go for the BTL 15" and more than likely a 1500 or 2000 watt sundown, whichever i can get my hands on cheaper. With this so far am i going to need a new battery for sure? I really dont want to go buy one seeing how damn expensive they are. is a 2nd battery a must have for this install? If so anyone know of any good battery's that can be purchased at a decent price online? A few links would be very helpful. As far as high's go, ive never really set up a system with excellent highs, i understand this can get expensive as well. what i have in the tahoe so far is 4 Eclipse 6.5's in all doors and i think they are 4 x 9 eclipse in the back (came with the vehicle but are eclipse matching the rest). As of now i dont even have them wired for an amplifier but do plan on running wire for them when the 0 guage goes in. Amp im very unsure, im not even sure how good the speakers are. They sound very clear running off the deck but i would be a fool to go with the bass from a BTL and keep the high's on the deck power. time will tell. my focus right now is on my power system. i need to be able to run the power needed for the BTL's. A dealer in town offered me a 15 inch Orion HCCA for $500 brand new. But after reading into those things im gonna need some massive power to run it and it may set me outside of my budget on this one.

i am glad you are realizing how much money is needed before going out and purchasing one step and skimping on the other steps (for example buying the BTL with no extra batts/alternator)

i have around 25ft right now, very good price and quality

Appreciate your guy's input. Im going to go ahead and purchase the cable at the end of the week along with all the needed terminal rings and stuff. next paycheck i tackle the alternator LOL.. So is a 2nd battery a must have? I really dont want to buy that too if i dont have to lol.. but keeping with the spirit or a proper install i may have to. Can anyone whip me up a 2 minute MsPaint diagram for installing 2 battery's for my reference? would really help also where do you guys buy your batts from? Stereo shops are a damn ripoff, cant believe how much they charge for things i find on the internet for damn near half the price.

Any good links to where to get the best deal? Not really sure what is a good price for what.. not sure how big of a battery im going to need. As it's looking right now i might go with a Sundown saz1500d since there is a few around me on craigslist, havent ran across a 2000 yet and im not gonna pay for the 3000d or whatever the next step up is, so im thinkin the 1500 is what its gonna be.

To hook up battery 1 to battery 2 just run a wire from each positive post and one wire from each negative post (if your battery is far from your other battery then just ground it on the car's chassis)

Battery 1 ------ fuse----------------------------------fuse------ Battery 2 (positive run)

Battery 1 ----------------------------------------------------------- Battery 2 (negative run) *

-or-

Battery 2 ------------- Car's chassis (negative run)*

*= Depends on battery length between each other how you wan to ground it.

Just started lookin around and i ran across some Kinetik Batteries on amazon.. sounds like an odd place to find them to me but i like the prices.. found a Kinetik POWER CELL 1800W 12V for about $225 or a Kinetik Cap Killer HC600 Power Cell Battery (600CA) for about $91 .... ill tell ya the $91 dollar one sounds great LOL.. would that be sufficient? also i was reading somewhere that in order to install these properly ill need to have a positive and negative wire ran from my front battery.. that will change the order ill need to make for wires.. it makes sense.. where were you guys with that one :shrug::D

I put in an order for the wire, what fuse size do I need? Planning on the ANL style fuse.. about to buy the fuse holder which comes with a fuse of my choice.. what size do I need?