mikey5472

First HT "project"

Ok so so I just got my own house, move in tomarrow, but I need a killer HT. I have a Kenwood reciever, 2 mtx cabinets, maybe some other cabinets, and my 10" ssd that I just bought back yesterday. What I need to know is how can I porew the sub? What amp or power supply should I buy for it? I was thinking about building a Tline box for the sub. Will be for movies and PS3, but also lots and lots of music. I want a Nice clear sq setup, not so "bassy", but enough bass to hear and tell that it is there. I don't need a lot of power maybe 200-300 watts. This is first "real" HT project so I'm just lookin for some help.

Thanks,

Mikey

Home theater and music have different goals. For HT you normally tune your box in the teens and significantly higher for music. You need to figure out which way you'd compromise. Then we can help :)

Home theater and music have different goals. For HT you normally tune your box in the teens and significantly higher for music. You need to figure out which way you'd compromise. Then we can help :)

What if I built a Tline? They have a nice flat response right?

Get a plate amp from parts express. They have a 240watt@4ohm for $109 and a 500watt@4ohm for $250. I built my boxes tuned to 28Hz, I am happy with the output.

What if I built a Tline? They have a nice flat response right?

Not the first time you build one. Not even close. You and chop are being influenced by someone who shouldn't be influencing you. Look what happened to LB's sub in that box, just not a good idea when you don't understand exactly what is happening.

Note, I am not knocking Tlines and actually have some in my living room but don't want you to build something that isn't successful.

The last HT box I built was tuned to 24Hz. I feel that to be a good compromise both ways. BUT it is a compromise.

Thank you all haven't been on here in a couple days, M5 thank you for the advice. I will probably just tune low around 25-28. Or maybe seal, the sub mentioned was in my s10 sealed and it dominated. Thank you onebadmonte for the plate amp advie, I will do some research on those.

Thanks,

Mikey

I used a plate amp from PE for my personal sub. After using O Audio's plate amp for my buddies MAG, I don't think I'll go back to PE.