gadgeteer123

Which amp is best for my xcon.

Which amp is better  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these amps is best for accuracy and clean sound?

• Hifonics Brutus BXI2010D
    • Sundown Audio saz1500d
    • Other

I currently am running my xcon on a hifonics brutus 2009 version that is 1600rms at 1-ohm, I was wondering what would be the main difference between, a saz1500d and a 2000rms at 1-ohm hifonics amp. as in sound quality? and if anyone is better for clean rich power for a decent price, and other amp suggestions or info is great. smile.png

Edited by ///M5
Closed poll to keep the topic from being bumped

I currently am running my xcon on a hifonics brutus 2009 version that is 1600rms at 1-ohm, I was wondering what would be the main difference between, a saz1500d and a 2000rms at 1-ohm hifonics amp. as in sound quality? and if anyone is better for clean rich power for a decent price, and other amp suggestions or info is great. :)

i say saz1500,i heard that setup before...

sell the hifonics off before it goes boom and get a nice sundown or similar amp if your looking for a change. wether or not you'll notice a difference in sound quality maybe subjective (aswell as in output) but the upgrade in product quality will save you in the long run.

Don't put 2,000 watts on it. 1500 is more than enough.

Earlier hifonics had overload problems yes, but the 2009 and 2010 version of hifonics has that problem fixed, it was bad resistors, so the reliability isn't the issue anymore, but the thing about the sundown is that it is rated for 1500rms, and I know that they put out more than rated but would it be able to take 100% advantage of a 1750rms xcon? I just want every decibel possible out of this sub, and I would prefer no clipping at all, the way I like to set things up is that i'd prefer the sub to be pushed to its very limit than have a amp be the problem.

I know it may be more than enough for most people, but I want the xcon to be used to its full potential.

I was looking the saz-3500d puts out 1750rms at 2 ohm, now only if I would of bought the dual 1-ohm instead of the dual 2-ohm

I know it may be more than enough for most people, but I want the xcon to be used to its full potential.

It doesn't need 2,000 watts to "reach its fill potential"

That's a moronic way of thinking.You sound like Steve Mea[)e :suicide-santa:

I know I don't need a full 2000, but 1500 is also less than 1750, so what if I took 2000rms and turned the gain down to appropriate settings. if there is something I am missing here please inform me. I always like to learn, thats why I am here.

I know I don't need a full 2000, but 1500 is also less than 1750, so what if I took 2000rms and turned the gain down to appropriate settings. if there is something I am missing here please inform me. I always like to learn, thats why I am here.

The 1500D is very under rated, it will do closer to 1750. In my opinion a MUCH better choice than anything Maxxsonics makes.

The 1500D is very over rated, it will do closer to 1750. In my opinion a MUCH better choice than anything Maxxsonics makes.

I completely agree with Duran.

Ok, I can see maxxsonics is out of the picture, what about every other amp on the market? Is there a an actual testing somewhere that was done on the sundowns output that I can see.

output difference wouldn't be audible at all (period)

Well How would 250watts have no difference at all in sound? I know about how it takes ten times the the watts for double the output, but I would still think there would be a small difference? And would this 1500rms sundown sound better than my 1600rms hifonics? If that little of watts makes no difference then what is the point of upgrading?

Well How would 250watts have no difference at all in sound? I know about how it takes ten times the the watts for double the output, but I would still think there would be a small difference? And would this 1500rms sundown sound better than my 1600rms hifonics? If that little of watts makes no difference then what is the point of upgrading?

1.No, it takes twice the power or cone area to increase volume by 3 decibels.

2.There will be NO audible difference in power, the only way to tell a difference would to meter it.

3.Must Maxxsonics is sub-par.

4.Your asking us about upgrading, not the other way around.

With a proper electrical system the 1500D is very powerful:

SAZ-1500D POWER TESTING - SSA Car Audio Forum

thanks for the reply, that is what I was asking for when i asked about it earlier, But they are all on a stock alternator, I want to see how it does on a 200 amp alternator with 1-2 extra batteries. Because when I buy my caddy that is what I plan on putting in it. I never like to under power anything, I remember when I went from a 140amp alternator in my old caddy to a 85amp in my wagon, It just didn't hit the same.

Edited by Small Town Audiophile

What do you mean by this message duran "4.Your asking us about upgrading, not the other way around. " and thanks for the rest of your response.

What do you mean by this message duran "4.Your asking us about upgrading, not the other way around. " and thanks for the rest of your response.

I was answering this question:

...If that little of watts makes no difference then what is the point of upgrading?

Im still confused on what that messages says, I get confused easily, i'm sorry, I am somewhat mentally disabled. I knew what you where responding to but the way you worded it was hard for me to fully understand.

Also, is that the only power testing that has been done on this amp? It was helpful and thanks for the reply, but I really wish they would of tested it in a setup where the voltage didn't drop 2 volts, and where it was powered to its full potential

Bro, obviously the Sundown is a better amp. But seriously, you are not going to hear any difference between the BXi1600 and the SAZ-1500. The amp you have is fine for that sub. All you need to do, as I told you in your other thread, is learn to set you gains properly. A 1600 watt amp should have no problem running on a stock alternator and a good battery under the hood, so I have no idea why you are thinking that spending a couple hundred on a high output alternator is going to make it sound any better. I'm not trying to down you here bro, but I just think your confused is all. You have had quite a few people tell you the same thing I just did, but apparently you haven't been given the answer you where looking for, so you keep asking the same question in a different way. Bottom line is, no matter how many times you ask the question, the answer is still the same. Believe me, I have done what you are doing.

If you would like to spend alot of xtra money for no reason, by all means buy the Sundown. But you have to understand, there will be no audible difference between the two. You do not have to give a sub it's exact rms to get great sound and output from it. And your electrical should be sufficient. Now, it obviously never hurts to upgrade electrical, but don't expect your sub to sound 10 times better just cause you put a $300 alt in your car. Please, just listen to the answer when you ask a question. Don't waste time trying to prove them wrong, or find a loophole that proves your situation is special or different so what they have to say doesn't apply to you. Just take it for what it is and put the information to good use.

Bottom line is, if you want to spend alot of money on these upgrades you think you need, shoot me a pm and by all means I will help you find the best deal out there to get what you are looking for. But, if you want to accept some advice and make what you already have sound great then listen to what people are trying to tell. Honestly, these guys have nothing to gain by steering you in the wrong direction or giving you false information.

Now, they have told you that box is fine for your sub, so that is good. Sounds to me like you just need to do a thorough check on your wiring and make sure it is all up to par. Then, take the time to learn how to set your gain, sub-sonic filter, and low pass filter. Here is a start:

RMSchart.jpg

Now, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do. And please don't think I'm picking on you, I was in your shoes not to long ago and I'm just trying to save you the trouble I went thru. Do yourself a favor and listen to what these good people are telling you.

Read these ratings

Sundown Amp Clamp Tests

This guy gave it full power.

Thats the OWNER of Sundown audio. :suicide-santa:

The 1500D is very under rated, it will do closer to 1750. In my opinion a MUCH better choice than anything Maxxsonics makes.

I agree. Chances are people are not going to hear the difference between 1500 watts and 1700 watts anyway.