Kawonu

Is my H/U need to be replaced?

What I have currently installed:

Kenwood Excelon H/U – Ez700SR (more than 4 years old)

Kicker ZR240 on Focal 6.5 Polyglass components

Kicker ZX1000.1 on Fi BL15 fully loaded in 4 ft^3 at 32 Hz

Big three in 1/0

2005 Mercury Mariner SUV

I first set the sub amp with a DMM when I first installed the sub back in November. I was working on modifying the amp rack over the weekend and decided to put the DMM back on and make sure nothing has moved. When I first set the amp I had 44.7 volts with the 50 Hz tone with volume of 27 out of 35. I have no bass boost turned on the amp and all settings on the deck are flat.

Now....

The most voltage I could get with the amp was 18.4 volts with 50 Hz tone. That was with the gain all the way maxed. I took the RCAs off and measured them and they were measuring 0.1 volts. The voltage at the amps with the car running is 14.37. I should be getting 44.7 volts to reach the 1000 watts of that amp.

Is it time for a new H/U? Any suggestings?

So did it sound different before, or you just uninstalled and reinstalled everything and it measured different?

Just unhooked the amps, moved them around and rechecked them. There maybe a little less output but I don't know. The cd player will skip randomly (not just a couple seconds) now too and cut off and skip to the next track. I thought maybe it was the cd so I burned another one and same thing.

Are you sure there aren't any wires touching or shorting out after the rearrangement of the wiring?

I took both amps back out last night. I put the tone cd in and still only got 0.1v on both sets of RCAs. I added back the sub amp first and still couldn't get over 18.3v this time. If I start turning the bass boost up then I can get to the 44.7v. I didn't want to do that so I turned it back all the way down. I left it on 15v just to be safe. My amp on the highs I did not check voltages as I can't turn up the gains very much at all or the front is just too damn strong. I checked the RCAs for any nicks or cuts and didn't see anything. The RCAs are old school Monster Cable...the big blue 4 channel ones with a grounding wire that is connected to the deck.

First I'd check to make sure you didn't accidently set the DMM to Vdc.

Second I'd pull the HU out of the dash, disconnect all non-essential wiring (speaker wires, all RCA's, etc) and then check the output voltage at the pigtails themselves. If it's still low, check the HU's fusing and any fuses on the HU's power wire, and then check to make sure the HU is receiving the appropriate voltage from the electrical system.

I made sure that the DMM was on Vac. I have 2 DMMs and checked with both thinking something may have happened to one of them. Still the same...low 18's at max gain. I'll pull the H/U out this weekend pending weather as we are supposed to get another 6-10 inches of snow. I don't have a garage to work in.