Kawonu

Question with Linear Power 1502IQ

I have an old school LP 1502IQ. It has not be modded. I'm getting ready to start putting together something for my wife's car. She wants a good sounding front stage with minimal bass from a sub. She listens to all kinds of music. Is this amp worth sending out to be modded and put on a component set of Focals or similar? Or should I just sell it and get a Sundown amp. If I go with the Sundown amp...could the 100.4 do the front components and also a sub like the SA-8 on pre-sale now? This is going in a Kia Spectra5. The specs show that it has to have a slim mount component set. Does anyone know of any components around the same quality as the Focals that are shallow mount?

Thanks!

It is a good amp stock.....when Ray mods them at TIPS, he charges a pretty penny, but IMO every one of those pennies is worth it. If you look at linearpower.com I'm Richard from Ozark and my stockpile has grown since I wrote the review of his services, but I won't run anything that's not LP in my vehicles. Just my preference. I would like to have a comparison where I could swap Sundown for LP just to see if I could hear the difference, but don't know if I'll ever get the chance.

I do know that he can do a lot with a 1502, he can re-wrap the power torroid to give it more power (always good) and there are several other parts he changes (I'm an accountant so I'm not sure what they are) that make the great SQ in those amps even better. When I went back to visit for Christmas he RE-modded my 1752's and he changed 20+ parts in them each. He showed me the difference side by side between them after modding the first one and playing the old mod version vs the new modded one and the new one was noticeably louder and "punchier." The 1502IQ is the forerunner to the LP100/DPS350 and can be made to sound better (dynamics, punch) than most of the china/korea/whatever made stuff today.

All that being said, I've never heard a Sundown and have absolutely NOTHING bad to say about them since I've never listened to one. If you get that amp modded, you can do a pair of components AND a sub running off it with passive crossovers since she just wants minimal bass from a sub and only have one "box" to mount. Run a cap (bassblocker) on the midbass, cap on the tweeter and a coil on the sub and there you go. I'm sure others will have different views, but if you want simple, that's about as simple as you can get.

Hope that helps...