ryan s

Thinking about a Dcon...

Hey, Ryan here :) I'm terrible at these intro things so I guess I'll jump right in...

In my quest to keep weight in my car low, and to use a small-ish box, I'm really striking out for sub choices. I have a PG RSd10 in a .7 (net) sealed box, stuffed liberally. It gets low, but requires a bit of power and it's pretty annoying above 80Hz. I'm bored, so I was considering porting it. It's a 350 RMS sub, single 4, and supposedly 84dB efficient...although I'm betting that's at 2.83V :rolleyes: I'm giving it 400 watts currently.

WinISD recommends a 1.8 cu ft box (before port and sub displacement)...ummm...no. Not doing that. Most other subs I look at want 3-4 cu ft :o Definitely not.

Here's where WinISD is throwing me off...a Dcon 10" (single 4) in either a sealed or ported box at SSA's specs plots out WEIRD. I can't get a flat response. In a .7 cu ft box, sealed, the Fs is over 70Hz. What's the deal?

Also, will the Dcon play into the 80Hz range with authority? I'm going with 7s in the doors...I want to be punched in the chest from 30Hz-120Hz :D

Oh one more thing: What's the efficiency for the Dcon10S4? The spec sheet lists an Re of 7.8, so I'm assuming the specs are for the D4 model.

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long thread... ;)

:WELCOME: to SSA. The Dcon S4 specs are quite close to the D4 specs. The Dcon is surprising in the suggested ported box design, they are right at home in smaller ported boxes. I saw you said 1.8 is too big, well see if 1.0 - 1.25 is going to fit. Heck, in 1.8 cubes, you could fit a 12" Dcon. :)

Fitting a ~1.5 cu ft box is right around the sweet spot for what I want to do, so I can "display" the amps and still be able to reach the spare tire. At 6" mounting depth, the Dcon should be just right. I don't really feel like trying to squeeze a triple-stacked magnet in there, you know? :D

I'm wondering...why does WinISD give me a "flat" curve at .5 cu ft...only? Is it the program being weirded out by the low Qtc of the sub?

Sorry for the large pic. Scaling down WinISD plots is difficult due to the lines...

8887123_6bd3b2dd2a_o.jpg

One more thing...any info on how much longer the sale will last? :) I should be getting another amp today, so this purchase will have to hold out for a while longer. That, and it's February in Wisconsin :( No heated workspace = no working on the car...

You are getting that shaped response because it's in a smaller low tuned enclosure.

All will be good once in the car, right? :)

My car's cabin gain seems to be centered right around 45Hz so I'm not too worried about a dip there. 50Hz is EQ'd wayyyy down on my headunit.

Yes, your car's cabin gain will help bring the response back up some.

Thinking about doing a top-firing sub and lining the port up with an empty 6x9" hole.

Haven't used a ported box in this car...haven't used a ported car box for years...so I guess we'll see how that goes :)

That's a great review, exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm only going to be using 400-600 watts on the sub...my first car had the mirror fall off enough times :lol:

I'm in for the quality but I like to turn it up :peepwall:

do it dude!

Got to put it off a little longer...still on the RC of Win7 and I have to get the paid upgrade next week or the shut downs start :ehh: Among other spendings... :(

Welcome dude.

Hell of first thread.:WELCOME:

I do what I can to make threads interesting :lol:

Thanks man!