Sign in to follow this  
Dammed

Correct batteries?

I'm going to have a 180A HO alternator from Iraggi, and I'll be using a Hifonics XX Colossus II and a Soundstream REF4.920 that will be giving out about 3600W rms together.

I was thinking about replacing my starting battery and adding some secondary batteries in the back. I read your "I Have a XXXXXXX watt sytem. What battery do I need?" thread and if I understood it correctly a D1200 in the front and a D3400 would be sufficient for my system. But would this be optimal, should I maybe have 2 or even 3 D3400 in the back plus the D1200 in the front?

It is a daily system, but I will go on a couple DB contests per year.

that should be fine.

xs power batts have very low internal resistance so anything the alt cant handle, the batt(s) will take care of it.

Put it this way-

I only use a single D3100 and a single D5100 to run 4 3500Ds @0.4ohms for burps.

The batts were resting at 13.2v. I did 4 quick 1 sec burps of current draw at ~580A then a 1.25sec burp of just over 1100A and STOCK alternator.

Batt's rest voltage remained at 12.8v after that. They lost maybe 12% capacity. XS Power batts have crazy high current dispersion.

that should be fine.

xs power batts have very low internal resistance so anything the alt cant handle, the batt(s) will take care of it.

Put it this way-

I only use a single D3100 and a single D5100 to run 4 3500Ds @0.4ohms for burps.

The batts were resting at 13.2v. I did 4 quick 1 sec burps of current draw at ~580A then a 1.25sec burp of just over 1100A and STOCK alternator.

Batt's rest voltage remained at 12.8v after that. They lost maybe 12% capacity. XS Power batts have crazy high current dispersion.

damn.

nice, very nice. My goal is to be running above 13,5V at full power with my HO alternator for at least 1-2min, do you think this will be possible with only two batteries (D1200 + D3400)? Or is this goal achievable at all?

Edited by Dammed

The 3400 and 1200 will be Perfect for your set up. you can mount the bigger battery in the front and small in rear with the same results. this is the way mine is set up.

actually, the only way to keep voltage up above battery's rest voltage is to never exceed the alternator's maximum output at any rpm!

Once you do, the voltage will be at it's best what the car would be when off for that particular time.

Voltage regulator isn't magical.

true. But if you have to few and/or weak batteries the voltage drops quickly below the resting voltage. IF you have many enough, then they can sustain a voltage much closer to the resting voltage for a short period of time.

So my question would be, how much below resting voltage will it drop if I have only those two batteries? I mean there must be a reason when people buy and use 8-10 Kinetik HC2000 batteries in the back.

And one thing I have also wondered about, is it better to have 3 smaller batteries or 1 big one? The combined AH and Ampere would be the same of the 3 smaller ones and the 1 big battery.

Edited by Dammed

reason why people go overkill on batts is because they got really good deals on them or they use them for bassrace\driveby.

3 vs 1 batt.. eh... both have their cons and pros, i'd stick with 1 large one.

I can't tell u what your voltage drop would be because XS would literally have to provide a chart on how their batts react to loads over a time period to attempt to calculate voltage drop.

u shouldnt really worry about that anyways. Xs Power batts are great and will last and perform for years as long as u take care of them too.

ok, thanks a lot for the help. :)

I think I'm going to go for a S1200 in the front and two D2700 in the back. I want to have a big battery reserve so that I can play a little bit with my engine turned off, and I want my electrical system to be ready for any huge amplifiers in the future that might come. This electrical system should be able to sustain 10.000W rms. :)

i have been checking out xs for batteries closely lately. was hooked on kinetik for awhile, biggest difference i can see between a kinetik and xs battery (other than kinetik being a lot more pricey) is the kinetik has a higher resting voltage....checked out a guys hc3800 and it sits at 13.9v and after he left it sit for 3 months it has still only dropped to 13.7v. otherwise the xs seems to be a much better buy, very comparable everywhere except resting voltage and price, and for the difference im going with xs for my install.