latorgator

ANother question about an ssd

I bought a used 18" ssd from a buddy.. I sorta wanted to due a sealed box with it but I was told you need the copper coil option to be able to due a sealed box.. I just didnt know if there was any way to tell. Any help appreciated alot

The metal the coil is made of does not determine the enclosure it will work in.

It says on fi website in the technical section that you can only due a sealed box if you have the copper coil option. I didnt think it would matter but than I read this so I wasnt sure

Off there website: SSD 18 – You must have the copper coil option in order to run the SSD18 sealed. You are looking at 5-7 cuft sealed for a proper response.

The Ported box we recommend using 6-10 cubic feet @ 33Hz (this is optimal in our eyes and to our ears, you can tune 31-35hz fine if you so please)

The metal the coil is made of does not determine the enclosure it will work in.

Actually with the SSD's yeah they recommend the copper coil for sealed application.

so does anyone know if there is anyway I could find out if mine is copper

Talk to FI that would be your best bet, that would of been my first stop since they made it.

While it is recommended it is not required. It will not simultaneously combust, it is better to go with the manufacturers recommendation though.

While it is recommended it is not required. It will not simultaneously combust, it is better to go with the manufacturers recommendation though.

True I guess if I pop it then I can make sure to recone it with the copper :)

I have no input on this, but rather want to know why they recommend that.

Look through the cooling vents where the cast frame meets the motor structure. The coil configuration and any options such as copper coil and BP will be written on the coil former.

If it isn't a flat wound odds are it's a copper. 99.9% of people who ordered a SSD got a copper coil if they did not get a flat wind.

The SSD sounds horrible with the flat wound coil in a sealed box on the 18..really peaky and ringy. The extra mass tames the motor back down to where it is acceptable to listen to..which is why we recommend it.